Will lead to checkup and early detection of serious diseases by examining breath
Research leading detection of low concentrations of gas present in exhaled human breath to health checkups and early detection and treatment of serious diseases is being performed. As gas sensors using nanomaterials can detect various gases even at low concentrations, installing such sensors in electronic healthcare devices is sought after, and research and development are being actively conducted.
Semiconductor gas sensors detect gas through reduced electrical resistance due to gas molecules attached to the surface of crystalline semiconductor materials. For this, gas sensors need a specific surface area of nanomaterials. In order to use nanomaterials for conventional gas sensors, a complicated flow was necessary, from nanomaterials synthesis to cleansing, uniform dispersion of solvent, applying on substrates, and sintering. Thus, there is a concern that manufacturing technology of such gas sensors requires significant time and labor, increasing cost.
A group of researchers led by Assistant Professor SUGAHARA Tohru at The Institute of Scientific and Industrial Research, Osaka University, succeeded in producing nanostructured gas sensor devices for detecting volatile organic compounds (VOC) in breath for the purpose of healthcare in time equivalent to or shorter than one tenth of the time required for manufacturing conventional gas sensors. This group improved conventional complicated production methods, developing a simple production method of just sintering substrates applied with materials. This gas sensor’s sensing response was comparable to the top-of-the-line sensors reported all over the world.
Since demand in healthcare products is on the rise, there is a lot of activity in research and development of sensors for checking health and disease by examining the gas components of a person’s breath. Breathalyzers for finding out who is driving drunk have already been commercialized. Recently, breath sensors for early detection of life-style diseases such as cancer and diabetes have been developed, but most of them are large, bulky and expensive. If gas sensors with high sensitivity are produced thanks to this group’s research results, portable breath sensors enabling early detection of diseases will gain popularity.
The Latest on: Breath diagnostics
via Google News
The Latest on: Breath diagnostics
- NBA Broadcaster Doris Burke Details COVID-19 Diagnosison March 27, 2020 at 6:05 pm
“And looking back, those were my symptoms. We’ve heard so much about shortness of breath, fever, tightness in your chest, chills, bodyaches, etc. For me, March 11 was really, looking back, that really ...
- What to Know About COVID-19 Diagnosison March 26, 2020 at 5:29 pm
Early and accurate diagnosis of COVID-19 — the disease caused by an infection with the new coronavirus ... Some people with COVID-19 feel increasingly short of breath while others breathe normally but ...
- COVID-19 (Novel Coronavirus 19) Therapeutic Pipeline, Vaccines, and Diagnostics Competitive Landscape, 2020on March 26, 2020 at 4:38 am
The "COVID-19 (Novel Coronavirus 19) Therapeutic Pipeline, Vaccines, and Diagnostics Competitive Landscape, 2020" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. First identified in the ...
- Could FeNO breath testing provide an early indicator of Covid-19?on March 25, 2020 at 9:41 pm
The Covid-19 strain of Coronavirus has officially been declared a pandemic by the World Health Organisation and there has been an urgent call for innovation that can help with the diagnosis or ...
- 'Rougher than I expected': 'Bachelor' star confirms COVID-19 diagnosis days after issuing 'PSA' to fanson March 24, 2020 at 12:03 pm
Breathing is challenging, the best way to describe it is feeling like I only have access to 20 per cent of my lungs. I can only imagine how people with pre-existing health conditions feel with this.” ...
- Rudy Gobert said he’s lost sense of smell since coronavirus diagnosison March 23, 2020 at 11:56 am
talks with guard Donovan Mitchell, left, during the second half of an NBA basketball game against the Detroit Pistons, in Detroit. Both players have tested positive for the coronavirus. Gobert's test ...
- Paul defends actions before coronavirus diagnosis: 'The broader the testing and the less finger-pointing we have, the better'on March 23, 2020 at 11:19 am
- Rep. Ben McAdams of Utah hospitalized after coronavirus diagnosison March 23, 2020 at 7:53 am
McAdams, 45, was the second member of Congress to test positive after reporting “mild cold-like symptoms.” He was diagnosed Wednesday and, by Friday, was experiencing shortness of breath, according to ...
- Breath Analyzers Market Size, Share, Growth Focusing on Top Key Players: Merck KGaA, AG & Co, Intoximeters, AMD, Envitecon March 23, 2020 at 3:35 am
The global breath analyzers market has been projected to be a very successful market in the coming years and the trends in the last few years have been suggesting this. The early disease diagnosis ...
via Bing News