As the countdown continues to the Presidential election, new analytical tools by physicists at The City College of New York promise a quicker and remarkably accurate method of predicting election trends with Twitter.
Hern´an A. Makse, Alexandre Bovet and Flaviano Morone have developed analytic tools combining statistical physics of complex networks, percolation theory, natural language processing and machine learning classification to infer the opinion of Twitter users regarding the Presidential candidates this year.
“Forecasting opinion trends from real-time social media is the long-standing goal of modern-day big-data analytics,” said Makse, a Fellow of the American Physical Society. “Despite its importance, there has been no conclusive scientific evidence so far that social media activity can capture the opinion of the general population at large.”
However, by using a large-scale dataset of 73 million tweets collected from June 1 to September 1, 2016, Makse and his associates are able to investigate the temporal social networks formed by the interactions among Twitter users.
“We infer the support of each user to the presidential candidates and show that the resulting Twitter trends follow the New York Times National Polling Average, which represents an aggregate of hundreds of independent traditional polls, with remarkable accuracy (r = 0.9),” Makse said. More importantly, for the CCNY team, the Twitter opinion trend forecasts the aggregated Times polls by 6 to 15 days, showing that Twitter can be an early warning signal of global opinion trends at the national level.
“Our analytics, which are available at kcorelab.com, unleash the power of Twitter to predict social opinion trends from elections, brands to political movements. Our results suggest that the multi-billion public opinion polling industry could be replaced by Twitter analytics performed practically for free,” concluded Makse.
The Latest on: Forecasting opinion trends
via Google News
The Latest on: Forecasting opinion trends
- Global Minimally Invasive Neurosurgical Devices to 2030 - Market Analysis and Forecast Model - ResearchAndMarkets.comon August 5, 2020 at 5:05 pm
The "Minimally Invasive Neurosurgical Devices (Neurology Devices) - Global Market Analysis and Forecast ... Opinion Leaders. In addition, real world data sources are leveraged to determine market ...
- Gold Price News and Forecast: XAU/USD bulls tiring, head and shoulders in playon August 5, 2020 at 4:49 pm
Gold Price Analysis: XAU/USD eases to sub-$2,040 area, bearish MACD becomes the concern. Gold prices stay pressured around $2,038.36 during the pre-Tokyo open session on Thursday.
- Flexible Barrier Films Market Overview, Growth Factors, Demand and Trends Forecast to 2026on August 5, 2020 at 2:40 pm
Selbyville, Delaware Market Study Report LLC adds a latest research study on Flexible Barrier Films market Statistics for 2020-2026, which is a detailed analysis of this business space inclusive of ...
- USD/JPY Forecast: At risk of losing the 105.00 thresholdon August 5, 2020 at 12:28 pm
The USD/JPY pair fell intraday to 105.31, trimming losses but still under pressure. Dismal US employment data caps dollar’s gains despite resurgent equities and yields. Bitcoin has already lost a ...
- Angelman Syndrome Industry Outlook to 2030: Key Regional Market Projections and Epidemiology Forecastson August 5, 2020 at 10:15 am
The "Angelman Syndrome Market Insights, Epidemiology, and Market Forecast - 2030" drug pipelines has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering.
- Antibacterial Personal Wipes Market Analysis: Global Industry Trends, Share, Key Players, Forecast to 2027on August 5, 2020 at 9:00 am
Selbyville, Delaware Market Study Report Has Added A New Report On Antibacterial Personal Wipes Market That Provides A Comprehensive Review Of This Industry With Respect To The Driving Forces ...
- Global Bariatric Surgery Devices Market Analysis & Forecast to 2030 - Includes COVID-19's Impact - ResearchAndMarkets.comon August 5, 2020 at 7:38 am
Global Market Analysis and Forecast Model (COVID-19 market impact)" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering.
- Global Respiratory Device Accessories Market 2015-2030: Analysis and Forecast Model (COVID-19 Market Impact) - ResearchAndMarkets.comon August 5, 2020 at 6:30 am
The "Respiratory Device Accessories (Anesthesia and Respiratory Devices) - Global Market Analysis and Forecast Model (COVID-19 market impact)" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's ...
- Commercial Fitness Equipment Market, Share, Growth, Trends And Forecast To 2027: Datainteloon July 31, 2020 at 4:40 am
A new research study has been presented by Dataintelo com offering a comprehensive analysis on the Global Commercial Fitness Equipment Market where user can benefit from the complete market research ...
via Bing News