System has the ability to condition the air and control humidity independently
The University of Nottingham is developing a solar air conditioning system that is said to have the capability to cut electricity consumption by up to 50 percent compared to conventional vapor compression (VC) systems.
Dr. Jie Zhu, from the Department of Architecture and Built Environment at The University of Nottingham, and Professor Tingxian Li, Shanghai Jiaotong University, China, are conducting this research supported by the Royal Society.
The two institutions are investigating a new air conditioning technology, powered by solar energy, whose features include:
• The ability to condition the air and control humidity independently.
• A sorption thermal battery that combines heat and cold energy storage in one unit and has the ability to achieve thermal energy storage with controllable temperature.
Zhu said, “A VC cooling system adopts a condensation dehumidification method to handle both sensible and latent heat loads. This means the system has to operate under lower evaporation temperatures, which results in lower cooling capacity, lower coefficient of performance (COP), and sometimes a reheating process is required to meet supply air requirements.
“We are proposing a temperature and humidity independent control technology to solve this problem. This system can save 25-50 percent electrical consumption and COP increases about 40-60 percent, thus greatly reducing operating costs, compared to the conventional VC system.”
Thermal energy battery storage plays a key role in the use of solar energy for heating and cooling due to solar’s inherent fluctuation and the lack of year-round sun in many countries.
The solid-gas sorption thermal battery has the capability to store both heat and cold energy at a controllable temperature in a single unit. The heat energy is used to power the dehumidification subsystem, while the cold energy is used to cool the air circulating in the indoor environment.
The Latest on: Solar Air Conditioning
via Google News
The Latest on: Solar Air Conditioning
- Rosie on the House: New solar ideas could work for youon July 3, 2019 at 8:10 am
Couldn’t the solar electricity from that single panel cool your house ... That heat can keep a two-stage air conditioner compressor at its low or first stage while cooling a house. The result is ... […]
- Plug Smart Collaborates With Howland Local School District to Implement Energy Solutions, New Air Conditioning and LED Lightingon July 3, 2019 at 6:00 am
Topics varied from lightning strikes to aliens, global warming and a solar eclipse ... equipment in a cost-effective manner, placing air conditioning units in the high school, middle school ... […]
- Moreland City Council solar bulk buy program cuts household power billson July 1, 2019 at 9:59 pm
The solar bulk buy scheme provided three solar quotes from trusted ... Martin’s electricity bill has reduced from $200-$250 to around $100-$120. He can now run his air-conditioner on hot days without ... […]
- Solar panels to power growing global demand for air-conditionerson July 1, 2019 at 7:14 pm
Electricity demand to feed a rapidly increasing use of air conditioners in emerging economies will almost double by 2050, a new report shows. Bloomberg New Energy Finance’s (BNEF) New Energy Outlook ... […]
- How to keep your home cool and improve indoor air qualityon June 28, 2019 at 11:47 pm
Whole house fans Whole House Fans don’t just recirculate air in your home like air conditioning does ... bills and prolonged roof life. These solar-powered attic fans help keep spaces from ... […]
- SN Aboitiz switches on 1st floating solar projecton June 28, 2019 at 9:05 am
“The 200-kw plant supplies most of out internal household already, like the control room, all the air-conditioning, lights that Magat needs to run,” he said. For the pilot project, SNAP partnered with ... […]
- Wisconsin weather: Summer is here, solar eclipse, share your photoson June 27, 2019 at 4:06 pm
wait that's inside, but air conditioning is nice. And if you think about complaining, recall, if you will, the polar vortex, and just know that it is crazy hot in Europe. If you're heading to ... […]
- Snap-Magat may expand solar-power project by 20 MWon June 27, 2019 at 3:32 pm
The circular installation is made up of 720 solar panels held in place by four ... so this is like the control room, all the air-conditioning, lights that Magat needs to run. ... […]
- Nevada utility announces three major solar projects with battery storageon June 26, 2019 at 7:52 am
“The energy during the day time when the solar panels without a battery produce power, though valuable, is not as valuable as the energy when the sun goes down in the summer when air conditioners are ... […]
via Bing News