System has the ability to condition the air and control humidity independently
The University of Nottingham is developing a solar air conditioning system that is said to have the capability to cut electricity consumption by up to 50 percent compared to conventional vapor compression (VC) systems.
Dr. Jie Zhu, from the Department of Architecture and Built Environment at The University of Nottingham, and Professor Tingxian Li, Shanghai Jiaotong University, China, are conducting this research supported by the Royal Society.
The two institutions are investigating a new air conditioning technology, powered by solar energy, whose features include:
• The ability to condition the air and control humidity independently.
• A sorption thermal battery that combines heat and cold energy storage in one unit and has the ability to achieve thermal energy storage with controllable temperature.
Zhu said, “A VC cooling system adopts a condensation dehumidification method to handle both sensible and latent heat loads. This means the system has to operate under lower evaporation temperatures, which results in lower cooling capacity, lower coefficient of performance (COP), and sometimes a reheating process is required to meet supply air requirements.
“We are proposing a temperature and humidity independent control technology to solve this problem. This system can save 25-50 percent electrical consumption and COP increases about 40-60 percent, thus greatly reducing operating costs, compared to the conventional VC system.”
Thermal energy battery storage plays a key role in the use of solar energy for heating and cooling due to solar’s inherent fluctuation and the lack of year-round sun in many countries.
The solid-gas sorption thermal battery has the capability to store both heat and cold energy at a controllable temperature in a single unit. The heat energy is used to power the dehumidification subsystem, while the cold energy is used to cool the air circulating in the indoor environment.
The Latest on: Solar Air Conditioning
via Google News
The Latest on: Solar Air Conditioning
- A new low-cost solar technology for environmental coolingon March 23, 2020 at 12:19 pm
In Europe, the energy consumed for air conditioning is rising, and the situation could get worse in the near future ... the difference in salinity between the two solutions can be continuously - and ...
- Vehicle Electrification Market Size 2020 to 2026 | This Study Will Perfect your Business, Read Or Miss Out!on March 23, 2020 at 6:07 am
The globalvehicle electrification marketsize is projected to reach USD 53.3 billion by the end of 2026. The rising concerns surrounding global warming and the effect of fuel combustion on greenhouse ...
- A living room for your backyardon March 22, 2020 at 9:11 pm
Spring is just about here. If you’re like most people, that means you’re looking forward to spending more time outdoors, especially in your own backyard. While warmer weather and longer days mean ...
- It’s time to switch to solaron March 18, 2020 at 6:32 pm
A collective system to feed solar energy produced into the energy grid and credit the electricity bill of the user with the exported energy is in place ...
- Solar Control Window Films Market Analysis, Growth And Business Outlook 2026 | 3M, Decorative Films LLC, Eastman Chemical Company, Garware Suncontrolon March 18, 2020 at 2:07 am
The Global Solar Control Window Films Market report offers a comprehensive analysis of the market This report focused on market past and present growth globally Global research on Global Solar Control ...
- Bishop Air Announces Pre-Summer AC Maintenance And Tune-Ups Specialson March 2, 2020 at 2:00 am
HENDERSON, Nev., March 2, 2020 /PRNewswire-PRWeb/ -- Bishop Air is pleased to announce that they are offering air conditioning maintenance, AC tune-ups, and financing for new AC units in Henderson and ...
- School airconditioning promises: The list of Gold Coast classrooms getting cooleron February 27, 2020 at 12:07 am
Labor believes it has trumped the LNP which had air-conditioning of schools as a key policy in the lead-up to the October 31 state election. A dozen Mackay schools are set to receive solar panels ...
- Duke Energy testing alternative batteries as storage uncouples from wind and solaron February 21, 2020 at 11:26 am
Because the batteries run hot, their housings must have significant air-conditioning systems ... Jimmy Chuang of Strata Solar said on another panel about financing storage. Strata is involved ...
- How to buy the best air conditioneron February 10, 2020 at 5:25 pm
You can also check out our ducted air conditioner buying guide, and our portable air conditioner buying ... The Department of Environment and Energy tested two types of solar-powered air conditioning ...
via Bing News