The ride-sharing firm Uber will, for the first time, allow users to hail self-driving cars within a fortnight, the company has confirmed.
Uber said the launch would take place in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. It added that it was teaming up with Volvo.
At first, the vehicles will be supervised by a driver, who can take control if necessary, and an observer, Bloomberg reported.
The firm first revealed plans to replace human drivers two years ago.
More than one million people drive vehicles linked to its app, but are not directly employed by the company.
A spokeswoman for the firm told the BBC: “Starting later this month, Uber will allow customers in downtown Pittsburgh to summon self-driving cars from their phones, crossing an important milestone that no automotive or technology company has yet achieved.
“In Pittsburgh, customers will request cars the normal way, via Uber’s app, and will be paired with a driverless car at random. Trips will be free for the time being, rather than the standard local rate of $1.30 [£0.98] per mile.”
Learn more: Uber to deploy self-driving cars in Pittsburgh
The Latest on: Self-driving cars
via Google News
The Latest on: Self-driving cars
- Elon Musk trolls Jeff Bezos, calling him a copycat after Amazon acquires self-driving-car startup Zooxon June 26, 2020 at 8:08 pm
The Tesla CEO tweeted a cat emoji at Bezos on Friday after Amazon took another step into the autonomous-driving world.
- Elon Musk starts another catfight with Jeff Bezos after Amazon buys Zoox self-driving car ventureon June 26, 2020 at 12:41 pm
This time, Musk took aim at Amazon’s $1.2 billion acquisition of Zoox, a venture focusing on self-driving cars that could compete with Tesla, the car company that Musk heads: [email protected] is a copy 🐈 ...
- Amazon reportedly just scooped up Zoox, a self-driving car companyon June 26, 2020 at 10:41 am
Amazon may be looking to leverage Zoox’s tech for its delivery network, which could contribute to the company saving $20 billion a year.
- Amazon buys self-driving car firm Zoox, suggesting a future of automated deliverieson June 26, 2020 at 8:57 am
The deal provides Amazon with a new piece of technology as it reduces its dependence on shipping companies to get packages to customers.
- Amazon to Buy Zoox, in a Move Toward Self-Driving Carson June 26, 2020 at 8:44 am
Amazon said on Friday that it was buying the autonomous ride-hailing start-up Zoox, an ambitious move that could put the tech giant in the business of moving people and not just packages. Amazon ...
- Amazon gets serious about self-driving cars by dropping more than $1 billion on Zooxon June 26, 2020 at 7:53 am
The retail giant acquired self-driving startup Zoox for more than $1 billion, The Information reported Friday. The Financial Times has a similar report, claiming that the actual value of the ...
- Amazon to buy Zoox for $1B, a self-driving car startup with Apple lineageon June 26, 2020 at 5:06 am
Online retail giant Amazon has reportedly agreed to pay over a billion dollars to buy Zoox, which was an early entrant into the autonomous car industry, and has previously hired away "Apple Car" ...
- Amazon has reportedly bought self-driving-car startup Zoox for more than $1 billionon June 26, 2020 at 4:21 am
Sources told the Financial Times that Zoox's management team will report to Jeff Wilke, head of Amazon's worldwide consumer division ...
- Waymo Partners With Volvo Cars to Develop Self-Driving Electric Vehicleson June 26, 2020 at 3:14 am
Waymo will focus on the artificial intelligence and certain hardware, including cameras, lidar and radar, for the automated “driver" and Volvo will design and manufacture the vehicles.
- Amazon reportedly acquires self-driving car startup Zooxon June 26, 2020 at 1:57 am
Amazon is acquiring self-driving car startup Zoox in a deal estimated to be worth over $1 billion, The Information and The Financial Times are reporting. The deal would give Amazo ...
via Bing News