Science fiction is inching closer to reality with the development of revolutionary self-propelling liquid metals – a critical step towards future elastic electronics.
While building a shape-shifting liquid metal T-1000 Terminator may still be far on the horizon, the pioneering work by researchers at RMIT University is setting the foundation for moving beyond solid state electronics towards flexible and dynamically reconfigurable soft circuit systems.
Modern electronic technologies like smart phones and computers are mainly based on circuits that use solid state components, with fixed metallic tracks and semiconducting devices.
But researchers dream of being able to create truly elastic electronic components – soft circuit systems that can act more like live cells, moving around autonomously and communicating with each other to form new circuits rather than being stuck in one configuration.
Liquid metals, in particular non-toxic alloys of gallium, have so far offered the most promising path for realising that dream.
As well as being incredibly malleable, any droplet of liquid metal contains a highly-conductive metallic core and an atomically thin semiconducting oxide skin – all the essentials needed for making electronic circuits.
To work out how to enable liquid metal to move autonomously, Professor Kourosh Kalantar-zadeh and his group from the School of Engineering at RMIT first immersed liquid metal droplets in water.
“Putting droplets in another liquid with an ionic content can be used for breaking symmetry across them and allow them to move about freely in three dimensions, but so far we have not understood the fundamentals of how liquid metal interacts with surrounding fluid,” Kalantar-zadeh said.
“We adjusted the concentrations of acid, base and salt components in the water and investigated the effect.
“Simply tweaking the water’s chemistry made the liquid metal droplets move and change shape, without any need for external mechanical, electronic or optical stimulants.
“Using this discovery, we were able to create moving objects, switches and pumps that could operate autonomously – self-propelling liquid metals driven by the composition of the surrounding fluid.”
The research lays the foundation for being able to use “electronic” liquid metals to make 3D electronic displays and components on demand, and create makeshift and floating electronics.
“Eventually, using the fundamentals of this discovery, it may be possible to build a 3D liquid metal humanoid on demand – like the T-1000 Terminator but with better programming,” Kalantar-zadeh said.
The research, which has potential applications in a range of industries including smart engineering solutions and biomedicine, is published this week in Nature Communications.
In the paper, first author Dr Ali Zavabeti details the precise conditions in which liquid metals can be moved or stretched, how fluid on their surfaces moves around and – as a result – how they can make different flows.
The work also explains how the electric charges that accumulate on the surface of liquid metal droplets, together with their oxide skin, can be manipulated and used.
The Latest on: Electronic liquid metals
via Google News
The Latest on: Electronic liquid metals
- Focused ion beam market is projected to grow at a CAGR of 7.6% from 2019 to 2024on November 12, 2019 at 11:36 pm
Ga+ liquid metal ion source is the widely used one by end users as it offers small size ion ... and highly power-efficient portable devices. As the size of electronic components shrinks, it affects ...
- Liquid Nitrogen Market Share, Sourcing Strategy, Downstream Buyers, Industry Size, Segmentation Analysis and Global Forecast to 2025on November 11, 2019 at 9:50 pm
Various drivers which are responsible for the growth of liquid nitrogen market are growing demand of electronic products and growing demand from healthcare sector. Metal fabrication, automotive, and ...
- Global Focused Ion Beam (FIB) Market Outlook 2019-2024: Ga+ Liquid Metal Segment Projected to Lead the Marketon November 11, 2019 at 4:25 pm
Ga+ liquid metal ion source is the widely used one by end-users as it offers small size ion ... and highly power-efficient portable devices. As the size of electronic components shrinks, it affects ...
- Pure Market tests brands for plasticizers, pesticides, heavy metals: 'We know consumers are concerned about them'on November 11, 2019 at 8:37 am
Pure Market - which operates a 4,000 square-feet ISO- 17025 accredited testing laboratory equipped with Inductively-Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometry (ICP-MS), Liquid Chromatography Tandem Mass ... are ...
- A new approach to biomining: Bioengineering surfaces for metal recovery from aqueous solutionson November 11, 2019 at 2:21 am
E-waste components have multiple metals, and these remain in solution after removal of the scaffold material ... the monokaryon form of Ganoderma lucidum from USDA Forest Products Laboratory culture ...
- Measuring Electric Charge and Molecular Coverage on Electrode Surface from Transient Induced Molecular Electronic Signal (TIMES)on November 7, 2019 at 2:23 am
By extending the method of Transient Induced Molecular Electronic Signal (TIMES) which we have used to measure molecular interactions ... we demonstrate that TIMES offers a simple and accurate method ...
- Metal Protective Fluid Market Outlook, Global Demand and Supply 2019-2025on November 6, 2019 at 9:41 pm
Synthesis of Liquid Segmentation by Application: Automobile Industrial, Electronic Industrial, Other Global MetalProtective Fluid Market Competitive Landscape The competitive landscape of the global ...
- E-cigarettes are not worth the risk to heart health, experts warnon November 6, 2019 at 9:07 pm
"E-cigarettes contain nicotine, particulate matter, metals, and flavourings, not just harmless water vapour," he added ... A man exhales vapour from an electronic cigarette (Photo: Getty) The majority ...
- New Multifunctional Electronic Platform for Seamless Integration with Human Skinon November 5, 2019 at 1:21 am
As soon as the transformative electronic platform touches a human body, the gallium metal enclosed within the silicone transforms into a liquid state and softens the entire electronic structure, ...
- ASA Gold and Precious Metals Limited Announces Resignation of Director Gary Glynn and Appointment of Director Anthony J. Artabaneon November 1, 2019 at 1:01 pm
ASA Gold and Precious Metals Limited (the “Company”) (NYSE ... for the Company are provided by Merk Investments LLC (Merk), an SEC registered investment adviser. Merk provides investment advice on ...
via Bing News