If you’re driving in a Chinese city in the none-too-distant future and your car is engulfed in a smooth, humming metallic belly, don’t panic. It may feel like an alien abduction, but probably it’s only a colossal, street-straddling bus.
The idea of a bus so large, high and long that it could virtually levitate above congested streets seemed surreal when presented at an expo in Beijing in May. But it came a step closer to reality this week, when a prototype went for an experimental spin in Qinhuangdao, a seaside city in northern China.
The makers of the vehicle, known as the Transit Elevated Bus, declared the ride down a few hundred yards of street on Tuesday a success, but the controlled conditions hardly reflected the gnarled unpredictability of Chinese traffic.
Television news showed the bus, resembling a goliath bug, edging forward down tracks while two cars nestled side by side underneath.
“I wanted to officially show people that this is entirely possible and that the bus can be up and running,” Song Youzhou, the designer of the straddling bus, said in a telephone interview from Qinhuangdao.
“We were inspecting and testing the vehicle for a range of functions, like ignition, braking and other processes, to see if they all work together and there are no problems,” Mr. Song said.
The Latest on: Transit Elevated Bus
via Google News
The Latest on: Transit Elevated Bus
- 'Floating' bus stops, bike lane set to debut on busy Harford Road in Northeast Baltimoreon July 4, 2019 at 12:57 pm
The elevated stops include a ramp ... The floating bus stops will eliminate the wait for bus drivers trying to merge back into busy traffic after picking up customers, said Brittany Marshall, a ... […]
- Work on Jammu, Srinagar Rail Transit System to start soonon July 4, 2019 at 12:40 pm
Gupta said that in phase one of the elevated light rail transit system in Srinagar, two corridors will be laid from HMT junction to Indra Nagar and Osmanabad to Hazuribagh. “In phase two, two ... […]
- 'Work on first elevated light rail transit system in Jammu, Srinagar to start soon'on July 4, 2019 at 10:40 am
The work on building the country's first elevated light rail transit systems for the twin capital cities ... In phase two, two corridors will be laid from Indra Nagar to Pampore Bus Stand and ... […]
- No elevated track from Numaish to Municipal Park: Sindh CMon July 4, 2019 at 10:17 am
The construction of the project will be completed at The Sindh CM took this decision while presiding over a meeting about the Karachi Mass Transit and BRT project at ... would never see the light of ... […]
- Suicidal Man on Freeway Bridge Closes Northbound Interstate 5 for 3 Hourson July 3, 2019 at 11:30 pm
A distraught man ventured to the edge of an elevated stretch of ... Metropolitan Transit System officials offered affected commuters bus rides between the two light-rail stations pending ... […]
- Man perched on I-5 bridge in Mission Valley prompts major freeway closureon July 3, 2019 at 5:20 pm
SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – A distraught man ventured to the edge of an elevated stretch of Interstate ... Washington Street and Old Town. Metropolitan Transit System officials offered affected commuters bus ... […]
- Soon, electric trolley buses to run on elevated tracks in Nashikon June 24, 2019 at 9:56 am
The elevated systems would be about 15 feet above the ground ... which will draw good features from Metro, tramway and Bus Rapid Transit System. Executive Director of Maharashtra Metro, Nirmal Kumar ... […]
- Hwy 1 bus lane construction begins Monday, will last until 2020on June 21, 2019 at 5:40 pm
The southbound bus lane is intended to speed the flow of traffic along the busy corridor and improve transit services ... changes to an elevated pedestrian walkway and landscaping work. ... […]
- Transit Elevated Bus Chinaon June 12, 2019 at 5:00 pm
Eyes on India and Pakistan, expected silence on Xinjiang camps, and another summit in the books. Report: Russia’s Military Aircraft Industry Ready to Mass-Produce Su-57 The Komsomolk-on-Amur aircraft ... […]
- Chinese businessman takes mass transit to new heightson June 10, 2019 at 5:00 pm
“Relative to the cost of a subway line or other rail transit, our bus delivers extraordinary value. Aside from the low cost, the time for construction is about one third that for a subway.” The ... […]
via Bing News