Researchers from The University of Queensland and Imperial College London have developed a method to distinguish viral and bacterial infections in children, which will save lives and reduce antibiotic use.
”Most children with a fever have a self-resolving viral infection like a flu, but a small number have life-threatening bacterial infections such as meningococcal disease,” Dr Coin said.
“Our method will prevent the unnecessary prescription of antibiotics to children with viral infections, and ensure dangerous bacterial infections don’t go undetected.”
Dr Coin, said previous studies had suggested that specific infections could be identified by the pattern of genes activated by the fever.
“We analysed the gene patterns in the blood of children presenting with a fever at some hospitals in the United Kingdom, Spain, the Netherlands and the United States between 2009 and 2013, and discovered two genes that can distinguish bacterial infection from other causes of fever,” he said.
Dr Coin said multidrug-resistant bacteria, or superbugs, were serious cause for concern.
“Unless we tackle this problem, by 2050 superbugs could be claiming the lives of 10 million people each year,” he said.
“Over-prescription of antibiotics is significantly contributing to the rise of superbugs, so this discovery is a major breakthrough in this serious global challenge.
“The biomarker we discovered has the potential to diagnose other childhood diseases, including lupus and juvenile arthritis.”
The research team will seek to translate the discovery into clinical tests suitable for use in hospitals.
“We need to conduct more research, but we are quite confident we will be able to harness existing DNA sequencing technology to develop a revolutionary low-cost and rapid way to analyse and diagnose infections in children,” Dr Coin said.
Learn more: Bacterial or viral? Now we can tell
The Latest on: Diagnose infections
via Google News
The Latest on: Diagnose infections
- Chlamydia Symptoms: Colored Discharge From Genitals Could Be A Warning Signon January 11, 2020 at 4:40 am
among Americans, according to the Centers for Disease Prevention and Control (CDC). While many individuals with this disease might not experience any noticeable symptoms, some might notice a certain ...
- Scientists examine how a gut infection may produce chronic symptomson January 10, 2020 at 2:00 pm
If these neurons die off, as happens in an infection, a possible result is constipation—one of a number of unpleasant IBS symptoms. In their recent report, the team demonstrate how macrophages come to ...
- Acute Upper Respiratory Infectionon January 10, 2020 at 10:43 am
Some people benefit from the use of cough suppressants, expectorants, vitamin C, and zinc to reduce symptoms or shorten the duration. Other treatments include the following: The best protection ...
- Fungal Infections Market New Era Of Industry & Forecast 2017-2025on January 10, 2020 at 3:47 am
Pneumocystis pneumonia is the most severe and commonly occurring fungal infection caused by the fungus Pneumocystis jirovecii. It is mostly prevalent in individuals with weakened immune systems such ...
- A Shrew-Borne Virus Is Responsible for Deadly Brain Infections in Humanson January 9, 2020 at 12:32 pm
For centuries, Borna disease virus has plagued the livestock of Europe, leaving horses, sheep, cattle and other domesticated animals reeling from a bizarre and often deadly combination of neurological ...
- British Billionaire John Caudwell On How Justin Bieber Can Manage Lyme Disease Diagnosison January 9, 2020 at 9:48 am
Billionaire John Caudwell has offered his support to pop star Justin Bieber over the recent Lyme disease diagnosis, describing the condition as “heartbreaking” for those afflicted. Bieber confirmed ...
- Justin Bieber’s Lyme Disease Reveal, Why It Is A Tough Diagnosison January 9, 2020 at 9:28 am
Singer Justin Bieber just revealed on Instagram that he has both Lyme Disease and chronic mononucleosis. That’s a tough combo. He accompanied the picture with the following statement: “While a lot of ...
- Justin Bieber’s Lyme disease diagnosis: What are symptoms, treatments?on January 9, 2020 at 5:35 am
While some 30,000 cases of Lyme disease get reported annually, the Centers for Disease Control suggests the actual number of diagnosed cases may be 10 times that – about 300,000. Here are more things ...
- Lyme Disease Symptoms, Treatment: Justin Bieber Says He Is Battling Bacterial Infectionon January 9, 2020 at 12:01 am
Canadian pop singer Justin Bieber took to his Instagram on Wednesday to announce that he has contracted Lyme disease. He also revealed he has been diagnosed with a "serious case" of chronic infectious ...
- What Is Lyme Disease? Justin Bieber Diagnosed With Bacterial Infection Spread by Tickson January 8, 2020 at 11:53 pm
Justin Bieber has revealed he has been diagnosed with lyme disease, a condition spread by ticks. The singer wrote on Instagram on Wednesday that he was "recently" diagnosed with the condition, as well ...
via Bing News