New electron-beam writing technique controls electronic properties for future on-demand re-configurable electronics.
In movies and television series, audio tapes or other devices self-destruct after delivering the details of impossible missions. Scientists at the Georgia Institute of Technology have taken it to a new level with an electron-beam writing technique that induces the deposition of carbon on a graphene surface. The deposits control the material’s nanoscale electronic properties and create junctions between electron-rich (where the carbon was deposited) and electron-deficient regions. These junctions could enable nanoscale electronics. Over time, the deposited carbon diffuses on the surface, which could dynamically change how the device functions.
This electron-beam technique allows for nanoscale engineering of future graphene-based devices for information and energy storage, sensors, as well as nanoelectronics that could be re-configurable with dynamic function.
Scientist have developed a novel “direct-write” additive lithographic technique that can be used to electronically pattern graphene materials at the nanoscale. The technique is called focused electron beam induced deposition (FEBID) and can be used to engineer nanoscale electronic properties of graphene. This technique can form conduction channels in graphene for a variety of applications, such as transistors and energy storage devices. The “direct write” technique controllably induces deposition of carbon, which locally changes the electronic properties of graphene. Changing the energy, exposure, and location of the e-beam controls the carbon deposition. Additionally, the carbon diffuses on the surface over time, dynamically changing the local electronic properties. These experimental findings not only highlight a unique capability for locally controlling graphene’s electronic properties, but also suggest a possibility of using FEBID for local “functional patterning” of other two-dimensional nanomaterials. Scientists have shown how to prepare nanoscale junctions of materials with different electronic properties using an e-beam technique, providing new possibilities of developing graphene-based devices that can adapt their electronic functionality.
Learn more: This Message Will Self-Destruct
The Latest on: Reconfigurable Electronics
via Google News
The Latest on: Reconfigurable Electronics
- Navy’s 3D Submarine Radio Room Training Technology Adapted for USMC Tactical Communicators on June 12, 2019 at 1:32 pm
The Multi-purpose Reconfigurable Training System (MRTS ... and then the NET package will turn over to the Marine Corps Communications-Electronics School to conduct sustainment training with new ... […]
- CDM Electronics Opens New Value-Added Center on June 12, 2019 at 11:00 am
CDM Electronics, a premier authorized distributor of electronic ... as well as convertible manufacturing cells that are reconfigurable within an hour to accommodate an array of builds. To further ... […]
- Global $1.27 Bn Space Electronics Market, 2024 - Increasing Demand for Reconfigurable Satellite Payloads on June 10, 2019 at 5:01 am
DUBLIN, June 10, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- The "Global Space Electronics Market: Focus on Product-type, Component, Application, and Subsystem - Analysis and Forecast, 2019-2024" report has been added ... […]
- Global Space Electronics Market: Focus on Product-type, Component, Application, and Subsystem - Analysis and Forecast, 2019-2024 on June 6, 2019 at 5:05 pm
Moreover, the adoption of new material to manufacture space electronics and increasing demand for reconfigurable satellite payloads are anticipated to create numerous opportunities for the market ... […]
- Visteon Wins Jaguar Land Rover Supplier Excellence Award for Longstanding Relationship and Innovative Technology on June 6, 2019 at 4:50 am
CHELMSFORD, United Kingdom, June 06, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Visteon Corporation (VC), a global cockpit electronics leader ... the industry-first fully reconfigurable digital instrument cluster ... […]
- Observation of Hofstadter butterfly and topological edge states in reconfigurable quasi-periodic acoustic crystals on June 6, 2019 at 2:49 am
This reconfigurable crystal serves as a model for future extensions to electronics, photonics and mechanics, as well as to quasi-crystalline systems in higher dimensions. Despite all these advances, ... […]
- Every Measurement Starts with a Trigger on May 23, 2019 at 5:00 pm
As today’s products in consumer electronics, automotive ... the function is implemented inside the FPGA of a reconfigurable oscilloscope. For many years, test engineers have used software tools such ... […]
- Digicom Electronics' ROACH System Captured the Data that Enabled Scientists to See the First Image of a Black Hole on May 9, 2019 at 5:21 am
Inc., a technology and quality-driven Electronics Manufacturing Services (EMS) company based in Oakland, CA, announces that its Reconfigurable Open Architecture Computing Hardware (ROACH) System (the ... […]
- Global Radiation Hardened Electronics Market 2018-2023 - Increas - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 - on March 18, 2019 at 5:00 pm
DUBLIN, March 19, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- The "Global Radiation Hardened Electronics Market: Focus on Manufacturing Techniques (Rad-Hard by Design (RHBD), Rad-Hard by Process (RHBP), and Rad-Hard by ... […]
- India- Global Hardware Reconfigurable Devices Market 2019 Analysis, Growth, Share, Trends, Segmentation Forecast To 2025 on March 15, 2019 at 4:55 am
Hardware reconfigurable devices are the ones in which the functionality and the connection between the logic gates are customizable. These devices have found their way majorly into consumer ... […]
via Bing News