The toxic and expensive phosphors used widely in fluorescent lighting could be eliminated thanks to a new study conducted by a materials scientist at Queen Mary University of London (QMUL).
Writing in the journal Nature Materials, the international group of scientists modified a mineral called zeolite, more commonly found in washing powder, to incorporate tiny clusters of silver atoms.
At this very small scale (less than 10 atoms), the silver clusters act very differently and can even emit light.
Lead author Dr Oliver Fenwick from QMUL’s School of Engineering and Materials Science, said: “We’ve shown that silver atoms can be assembled in the porous framework of minerals known as zeolites with a level of control not reported previously. This has allowed us to tailor very precisely the properties of the silver clusters to meet our needs – in this case an efficient phosphor.
“The high efficiency of the materials along with cheap, scalable synthesis makes them very attractive as next generation emitters for fluorescent lamps, LEDs and for biological imaging, for example for highlighting tumours or cell division.”
Zeolites are porous minerals that can be found naturally or produced synthetically on an industrial scale. They are rigid and have a well-defined framework made of molecular-scale channels and cavities.
The researchers from Université de Strasbourg in France, where Dr Fenwick was based when carrying out the study, and KU Leuven in Belgium manipulated the characteristics of the zeolite pores to fine-tune the properties of the clusters of silver. By tailoring of the zeolite host, they demonstrated luminescence efficiencies close to 100 per cent.
The Latest on: Zeolite
via Google News
The Latest on: Zeolite
- Global High Silica Zeolite Market: Size, Share & Growth Prospects Of Major Vendors In 2020on January 19, 2020 at 10:13 pm
Complete explanation within the High Silica Zeolite market 2020 research report offers global High Silica Zeolite market outlook (2020-2025) analysis supported countries, Manufacturers, Applications, ...
- New Building Blocks of Catalyst Zeolite Nanopores Discoveredon January 16, 2020 at 3:59 pm
‘Tricyclic bridges, the collections of three zeolite rings connected together - play a critical role in zeolite formation. ’ Show Full Article Auerbach says, "This breakthrough is important because it ...
- 1.8%+ growth for Zeolite Molecular Sieve Market Size to reach 1294 million USD by 2026on January 16, 2020 at 9:06 am
Market Study Report Has Added A New Report On Zeolite Molecular Sieve Market That Provides A Comprehensive Review Of This Industry With Respect To The Driving Forces Influencing The Market Size.
- Artificial Zeolite Market to Witness Robust Expansion by 2025on January 15, 2020 at 9:28 am
LP INFORMATION recently released a research report on the Artificial Zeolite market analysis and elaborate the industry coverage, current market competitive status, and market outlook and forecast by ...
- Zeolite Market to Reach USD 6.06 Billion by 2026; Rising Consumption in Construction Industry to Fuel Growth, Says Fortune Business Insights™on January 10, 2020 at 1:42 am
Pune, Jan. 10, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The global Zeolite Market size is projected to reach USD 6.06 billion by 2026, thereby exhibiting a CAGR of 4.9% during the forecast period. However, the market ...
- Researchers discover new building blocks of catalyst zeolite nanoporeson January 9, 2020 at 1:50 pm
They hope their advance on a new way to understand zeolite structure and vibrations leads to new, tailor-made zeolites for use in sophisticated new applications. Their cover story in a recent issue of ...
- Hydrophobic zeolite modification for in situ peroxide formation in methane oxidation to methanolon January 9, 2020 at 11:27 am
A hydrophobically coated zeolite keeps the peroxide close to the gold and palladium active site, where incoming methane is then selectively oxidized to methanol. Science, this issue p. 193 Selective ...
- Zeolite Nanoporous Catalyst (image)on January 9, 2020 at 10:22 am
UMass Amherst chemists and materials scientists have advanced understanding of zeolite catalyst structure and vibrations to help lead to new materials for clean energy and carbon capture, among other ...
- Zeolite Market Size Is Going to Hit USD 33.80 Billion By 2022: Grand View Research, Incon January 8, 2020 at 7:13 am
According to report published by Grand View Research, The global zeolite market size was valued at USD 29.08 billion in 2016 and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 2.5% over the forecast years. The ...
- zeo19: A thermodynamic database for assessing zeolite stability during the corrosion of nuclear waste immobilization glasseson January 8, 2020 at 2:14 am
However, current uncertainties in establishing the tendency for the persistence of zeolites results in difficulties in estimating the chemical environments and state variables that favor zeolite ...
via Bing News