The toxic and expensive phosphors used widely in fluorescent lighting could be eliminated thanks to a new study conducted by a materials scientist at Queen Mary University of London (QMUL).
Writing in the journal Nature Materials, the international group of scientists modified a mineral called zeolite, more commonly found in washing powder, to incorporate tiny clusters of silver atoms.
At this very small scale (less than 10 atoms), the silver clusters act very differently and can even emit light.
Lead author Dr Oliver Fenwick from QMUL’s School of Engineering and Materials Science, said: “We’ve shown that silver atoms can be assembled in the porous framework of minerals known as zeolites with a level of control not reported previously. This has allowed us to tailor very precisely the properties of the silver clusters to meet our needs – in this case an efficient phosphor.
“The high efficiency of the materials along with cheap, scalable synthesis makes them very attractive as next generation emitters for fluorescent lamps, LEDs and for biological imaging, for example for highlighting tumours or cell division.”
Zeolites are porous minerals that can be found naturally or produced synthetically on an industrial scale. They are rigid and have a well-defined framework made of molecular-scale channels and cavities.
The researchers from Université de Strasbourg in France, where Dr Fenwick was based when carrying out the study, and KU Leuven in Belgium manipulated the characteristics of the zeolite pores to fine-tune the properties of the clusters of silver. By tailoring of the zeolite host, they demonstrated luminescence efficiencies close to 100 per cent.
The Latest on: Zeolite
via Google News
The Latest on: Zeolite
- Potentially toxic dust cloud from artificial turf field settles over Bethesda neighborhoodon September 4, 2019 at 6:35 pm
Grass seed was replaced with materials called zeolite and silica. Safety sheets about those materials state airborne silica may “cause cancer by inhalation.” “It was just flying everywhere. You can ...
- Exploration and Production of Energy Storage Materialson September 2, 2019 at 2:40 pm
In addition, Progressive Planet is concurrently conducting product development initiatives for materials made using zeolite. The company holds three Canadian properties: the Z-1 zeolite quarry in ...
- Zeolite Market will likely see expanding of marketable business segmentson September 1, 2019 at 11:23 pm
Sep 02, 2019 (HTF Market Intelligence via COMTEX) -- Advance Market Analytics released a comprehensive study of 200+ pages on 'Zeolite' market with detailed insights on growth factors and strategies.
- Zeolite 4A Market Type, Share, Size, Analysis Trends, Demand and outlook 2025on August 23, 2019 at 6:19 am
The eco-friendly nature and high ion exchange capability zeolite 4A makes it an alluring alternative to Sodium Tri Poly Phosphate (STPP) in the detergent market. Its utilization gives advantages such ...
- Progressive Planet inks deal with Valens Groworks to collect cannabis waste denatured with zeoliteon August 9, 2019 at 8:01 am
Since April, Progressive Planet has been providing Valens with zeolite, a mineral that can be used in denaturing hemp and cannabis waste. Progressive Planet will collect the waste and blend it back ...
- Global Zeolites Market Growth, Trends, and Forecast to 2024 - Increasing Use of Zeolite as Refrigeration Adsorbents - ResearchAndMarkets.comon August 1, 2019 at 3:07 am
The "Zeolites Market - Growth, Trends, and Forecast (2019 - 2024)" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The global zeolites market is expected to record a CAGR of over 2.4% ...
- Zeolite Molecular Sieve Market, Will Witness Tremendous Growth Over the Forecast Timeframeon July 30, 2019 at 3:30 am
As per Global Market Insights, Inc., “Zeolite Molecular Sieve Market is estimated to witness a CAGR of 4% over the period of 2016-2023.” Zeolite Molecular Sieve Market is gaining popularity owing to ...
- 3D Printing Being Combined with Soldering to Create High-Performance Zeoliteson July 23, 2019 at 1:19 am
For this study, they attempt to construct robust zeolite monoliths for use in practical applications. In conventional work, zeolite crystals are usually included in smaller structures such as pellets, ...
- Breck Award of International Zeolite Associationon July 15, 2019 at 5:00 pm
Marat and a group of investigators received the award for the synthesis of chirally enriched zeolite STW. This makes the second departmental recipients to receive this award, Yushan Yan being the ...
- Zeolite MFI / ZSM-5 Dessicant / Pentasil 350on July 14, 2019 at 5:00 pm
Pentasil 350 is also known as zeolite MFI or ZSM-5, the product from Dalian Haixin Chemical Co., Ltd has high hydrothermal stability, high specific surface area, outstanding shape selective catalytic ...
via Bing News