The toxic and expensive phosphors used widely in fluorescent lighting could be eliminated thanks to a new study conducted by a materials scientist at Queen Mary University of London (QMUL).
Writing in the journal Nature Materials, the international group of scientists modified a mineral called zeolite, more commonly found in washing powder, to incorporate tiny clusters of silver atoms.
At this very small scale (less than 10 atoms), the silver clusters act very differently and can even emit light.
Lead author Dr Oliver Fenwick from QMUL’s School of Engineering and Materials Science, said: “We’ve shown that silver atoms can be assembled in the porous framework of minerals known as zeolites with a level of control not reported previously. This has allowed us to tailor very precisely the properties of the silver clusters to meet our needs – in this case an efficient phosphor.
“The high efficiency of the materials along with cheap, scalable synthesis makes them very attractive as next generation emitters for fluorescent lamps, LEDs and for biological imaging, for example for highlighting tumours or cell division.”
Zeolites are porous minerals that can be found naturally or produced synthetically on an industrial scale. They are rigid and have a well-defined framework made of molecular-scale channels and cavities.
The researchers from Université de Strasbourg in France, where Dr Fenwick was based when carrying out the study, and KU Leuven in Belgium manipulated the characteristics of the zeolite pores to fine-tune the properties of the clusters of silver. By tailoring of the zeolite host, they demonstrated luminescence efficiencies close to 100 per cent.
The Latest on: Zeolite
via Google News
The Latest on: Zeolite
- Zeolite Market Analysis by Trends, Product Capacity, Applications, Manufactures, Regions, Market Size and Forecast Up to 2024on November 28, 2019 at 8:19 am
Nov 28, 2019 (The Expresswire) -- [2019-2024] In the strategy analysis, Zeolite report gives insights from marketing channel and market positioning to potential growth strategies, providing in-depth ...
- Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC) Concentrator Market Is Estimated To Grow At 6.1% CAGR During 2024on November 27, 2019 at 1:35 am
The VOC concentrator refers to the activated zeolite or carbon adsorption system, are designed to capture and eliminate volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and hazardous air pollutants from industrial ...
- Antimicrobial activity of Titanium dioxide and Zinc oxide nanoparticles supported in 4A zeolite and evaluation the morphological characteristicon November 25, 2019 at 2:22 am
In this study, the antimicrobial activity of titanium dioxide (TiO 2), zinc oxide (ZnO), and TiO 2 /ZnO nanoparticles supported into 4A zeolite (4A z) was assessed. Based on antimicrobial experiments, ...
- Unlocking FCC potential with an innovative catalyst solutionon November 21, 2019 at 1:26 pm
The MHY-zeolite catalyst technology is a surfactant-templated, post-synthesis zeolite, meso-structuring process that introduces ordered, well-controlled and hydrothermally stable mesoporosity into ...
- Artificial Zeolite Market Size to Surpass US$ 4015.5 million By 2024on November 20, 2019 at 2:09 am
Nov 20, 2019 (AmericaNewsHour) -- Growth forecast report " Artificial Zeolite Market size by Product Type (Artificial Zeolite Adsorbent, Artificial Zeolite Catalyst and Artificial Zeolite Detergent), ...
- Zeolite Market Size 2019 Analysis By Industry Share, Emerging Demands, Growth Rate, Recent & Future Trends, Opportunity, and Forecast To 2024on November 7, 2019 at 3:29 am
"2019-2024 Research Report on Global Zeolite Market is a professional and comprehensive report on the Zeolite industry. The report monitors the key trends and market drivers in the current scenario ...
- U.S. Antimony Announces Rail Service For Zeolite Delivery And Testing Of Gold And Silver Leach Planton November 4, 2019 at 5:11 am
The price of antimony metal is gradually recovering. United States Antimony Corporation ("USAC", NYSE American "UAMY") announces plans to provide rail delivery of bulk Bear River Zeolite (BRZ) zeolite ...
- PLAN Announces Exchange Approval of 2nd Zeolite Property in BC and Announces First Toll Processing Contract Completedon October 22, 2019 at 7:57 am
Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal.
- Zeolite RHO Synthesis Accelerated by Ultrasonic Irradiation Treatmenton October 21, 2019 at 2:13 am
In recent years, there are increasing interest on applying ultrasonic irradiation for the synthesis of zeolite due to its advantages including remarkable shortened synthesis duration. In this project, ...
- Zeolite Molecular Sieve Market to reach $4.37...on October 21, 2019 at 1:20 am
Dallas, Texas, Oct. 21, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The "Global Zeolite Molecular Sieve Market 2018 by Application (Detergents, Catalysts, and Others, By Region and Forecast 2019 to 2025" study provides ...
via Bing News