The next generation of rechargeable lithium batteries set to disrupt the electric vehicle industry may soon be here, thanks to the humble salt bath.
CSIRO scientists, in collaboration with RMIT University and QUT, have demonstrated that pre-treating a battery’s lithium metal electrodes with an electrolyte salt solution extends the battery life and increases performance and safety.
The research was published in Nature Communications.
The simple method is set to accelerate the development of next-gen energy storage solutions and overcome the issue of ‘battery range anxiety’ that is currently a barrier in the electric car industry.
The technology has the potential to improve electric vehicle drive range and battery charge to a point where electric vehicles will soon be competitive with traditional petrol vehicles.
CSIRO battery researcher Dr Adam Best said the pre-treated lithium metal electrodes could potentially outperform other batteries currently on the market.
“Our research has shown by pre-treating lithium metal electrodes, we can create batteries with charge efficiency that greatly exceeds standard lithium batteries,” Dr Best said.
The pre-treatment process involves the immersion of lithium metal electrodes in an electrolyte bath containing a mixture of ionic liquids and lithium salts, prior to a battery being assembled.
Ionic liquids or room temperature molten salts, are a unique class of material that are clear, colourless, odourless solutions and are non-flammable.
When used in batteries these materials can prevent the risk of fire and explosion, a known rechargeable battery issue.
The salt bath pre-treatment adds a protective film onto the surface of the electrode that helps stabilise the battery when in operation.
“The pre-treatment reduces the breakdown of electrolytes during operation, which is what determines the battery’s increased performance and lifetime,” Dr Best said.
Batteries that have undergone the process can also spend up to one year on the shelf without loss of performance.
QUT researcher Assoc. Prof. Anthony O’Mullane said the method can be easily adopted by manufacturers.
“The pre-treatment process is readily transferrable to existing manufacturing processes,” Assoc. Prof. O’Mullane said.
The electrolyte salt solutions, to which CSIRO holds patents, come in a range of chemical compositions.
The research formed part of Dr Andrew Basile’s doctoral thesis with RMIT University, working closely with CSIRO scientist Dr Anand Bhatt to investigate battery processes occurring at lithium metal.
The team of scientists is currently developing batteries based on this technology, and are looking for partners to help bring these materials and devices to market.
The Latest on: Lithium batteries
via Google News
The Latest on: Lithium batteries
- Lithium battery production becomes leading industrial sector in Lubei District of Tangshanon November 29, 2020 at 12:57 am
A worker tests just-finished battery packs at a lithium battery factory in Tangshan, north China's Hebei Province, Nov. 29, 2020. Lithium battery production has recently become a leading industrial ...
- Automotive Lithium-Ion Battery Market Research Report by Power Capacity, by Application - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of COVID-19on November 27, 2020 at 1:51 pm
Reportlinker.com announces the release of the report "Automotive Lithium-Ion Battery Market Research Report by Power ...
- Global Lithium Silicon Battery Market Latest Industry Trends, Future Growth, Regional Overview and Growth Forecast Outlook till 2026on November 27, 2020 at 9:12 am
The global “Lithium Silicon Battery Market” is expected to rise with an impressive CAGR and generate the highest revenue ...
- Lithium-ion Battery Market Size USD 129.3 Billion By 2027 At A CAGR of 18.0% | Valuates Reportson November 27, 2020 at 5:30 am
Ion Battery Market is segmented by Component (Cathode, Anode, Electrolytic Solution, and Others), End-use Industry [Electrical ...
- 17500 Cylindrical Lithium Ion Battery Market Potential Scope for Growth in This Pandamic: Panasonic(Sanyo), Samsung SDI, LG Chemon November 27, 2020 at 4:45 am
A new explanatory report titled,”17500 Cylindrical Lithium Ion Battery Market \| Pricing Structure and key Dec ...
- Lithium-Ion Battery Recycling Market Pegged to Surpass USD 17.21 Billion Valuation by End of – 2027 : Umicore, Glencore, Retriev Technologies, Etc.on November 26, 2020 at 12:42 pm
The global lithium-ion battery recycling market is forecast to reach USD 17.21 billion by 2027, according to a new report by Reports and Data. The market will grow from USD 2.64 billion in 2019 at a ...
- Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) Battery Market outlook, Future Scope, Demands and Projected Industry Growths to 2026on November 26, 2020 at 12:37 am
Battery Market report upholds the future market predictions related to Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) Battery market size, revenue, production, Consumption, gross margin and other substantial ...
- New Jersey doctors discover lithium battery lodged in 4-year-old's throaton November 25, 2020 at 8:13 pm
A mother in New Jersey is giving thanks for her daughter's health after doctors made a terrifying discovery on an x-ray.
- The world needs lithium. Can Bolivia’s new president deliver it?on November 12, 2020 at 1:31 am
Found in electric vehicle (EV) batteries and batteries that store energy generated by solar panels and wind turbines, lithium is one of the key resources driving the global clean energy transition.
- Improving high-energy lithium-ion batteries with carbon filleron November 9, 2020 at 4:00 pm
Lithium-ion batteries are the major rechargeable power source for many portable devices as well as electric vehicles, but their use is limited, because they do not provide high power output while ...
via Bing News