German engineers have created a camera no bigger than a grain of salt that could change the future of health imaging—and clandestine surveillance.
Using 3-D printing, researchers from the University of Stuttgart built a three-lens camera, and fit it onto the end of an optical fibre the width of two hairs.
Such technology could be used as minimally-intrusive endoscopes for exploring inside the human body, the engineers reported in the journal Nature Photonics.
It could also be deployed in virtually invisible security monitors, or mini-robots with “autonomous vision”.
3-D printing—also known as additive manufacturing—makes three-dimensional objects by depositing layer after layer of materials such as plastic, metal or ceramic.
Due to manufacturing limitations, lenses cannot currently be made small enough for key uses in the medical field, said the team, which believe its 3-D printing method may represent “a paradigm shift”.
It took only a few hours to design, manufacture and test the tiny eye, which yielded “high optical performances and tremendous compactness,” the researchers reported.
The compound lens is just 100 micrometres (0.1 millimetres or 0.004 inches) wide, and 120 micrometres with its casing.
Learn more: Micro-camera can be injected with a syringe
The Latest on: Micro multi-lens cameraX
via Google News
The Latest on: Micro multi-lens cameraX
- This tiny camera could give drones predator visionon February 22, 2019 at 4:00 pm
Such micro-cameras could be perfect for tiny drones and other ... And thus, “you can do many different things at a time.” The camera's multi-lens design gives it vision similar to that of a flying ... […]
- RevolCam: A Multi-Lens and LED Light Attachment That Fits Any Smartphoneon October 6, 2017 at 8:20 am
The attachment also has a handy LED light on top which can be rotated to increase brightness and is recharged via Micro USB. The light can also be removed and has a magnetic backing, so you can fix it ... […]
- 3-D printed 'eagle eye' camera mimics sharp vision of predatorson February 15, 2017 at 2:10 pm
A new study presents a miniaturized camera inspired by the natural vision of predators ... in the sharpness of the center of the test image between the proposed multi-lens design and a comparable ... […]
- German Researchers 3D Print a Functional Micro-Camera Lens 0.1mm Wideon June 29, 2016 at 8:12 am
Multi-lens elements with non-spherical shapes are required for ... Once the team of German researchers developed the concept for the micro-camera it only took them a couple of hours to design, 3D ... […]
- Smart Dust Is Coming: New Camera Is the Size of a Grain of Salton June 28, 2016 at 11:59 am
According to the paper, the new method not only demonstrates high-quality micro-lenses can be 3D printed ... and alignment difficulties. A multi-lens system (right) next to a single doublet lens (left ... […]
- Creation of world’s tiniest lens means surveillance cameras will soon be as small as a grain of salton June 26, 2016 at 5:00 pm
Ominous development heralds a future where invisible cameras are everywhere This microscopic creation ... emits short pulses of light to harden material onto which the 3D multi-lens systems could be ... […]
- Micro-camera can be injected with a syringeon June 26, 2016 at 5:00 pm
The compound lense can also be printed onto image sensor other than optical fibres, such as those used in digital cameras. Image of a multi-lens system with a diameter of 600 µm surrounded by four ... […]
- Dell Venue 8 7000 review: A distinctive and premium Android tableton January 22, 2015 at 10:48 am
The Venue 8 does have a micro SD card slot, however ... It's similar in concept to the multi-lens camera setup seen in last year's HTC One (M8) phone, with a couple of added twists. Like the One (M8), ... […]
- The Gambling Tech Companies Hitting the Jackpot on Asia’s Gaming Boomon September 16, 2013 at 11:05 am
Asia’s new mega-casinos are driving sales and innovation in advanced surveillance technology, from chips with built-in radio transmitters to high-definition, multi-lens, digital cameras ... a gang was ... […]
- Security tech firms hit jackpot in Asia casino boomon September 15, 2013 at 3:52 pm
SYDNEY/HONG KONG (Reuters) - Asia’s new mega-casinos are driving sales and innovation in advanced surveillance technology, from chips with built-in radio transmitters to high-definition, multi-lens .. ... […]
via Bing News