A dietary supplement containing a blend of thirty vitamins and minerals—all natural ingredients widely available in health food stores—has shown remarkable anti-aging properties that can prevent and even reverse massive brain cell loss, according to new research from McMaster University.
It’s a mixture scientists believe could someday slow the progress of catastrophic neurological diseases such as Alzheimer’s, ALS and Parkinson’s.
“The findings are dramatic,” says Jennifer Lemon, research associate in the Department of Biology and a lead author of the study. “Our hope is that this supplement could offset some very serious illnesses and ultimately improve quality of life.”
The formula, which contains common ingredients such as vitamins B, C and D, folic acid, green tea extract, cod liver oil and other nutraceuticals, was first designed by scientists in McMaster’s Department of Biology in 2000.
A series of studies published over the last decade and a half have shown its benefits in mice, in both normal mice and those specifically bred for such research because they age rapidly, experiencing dramatic declines in cognitive and motor function in a matter of months.
The mice used in this study had widespread loss of more than half of their brain cells, severely impacting multiple regions of the brain by one year of age, the human equivalent of severe Alzheimer’s disease.
The mice were fed the supplement on small pieces of bagel each day over the course of several months. Over time, researchers found that it completely eliminated the severe brain cell loss and abolished cognitive decline.
“The research suggests that there is tremendous potential with this supplement to help people who are suffering from some catastrophic neurological diseases,” says Lemon, who conducted the work with co-author Vadim Aksenov, a post-doctoral fellow in the Department of Biology at McMaster.
“We know this because mice experience the same basic cell mechanisms that contribute to neurodegeneration that humans do. All species, in fact. There is a commonality among us all.”
In addition to looking at the major markers of aging, they also discovered that the mice on the supplements experienced enhancement in vision and most remarkably in the sense of smell—the loss of which is often associated with neurological disease—improved balance and motor activity.
The next step in the research is to test the supplement on humans, likely within the next two years, and target those who are dealing with neurodegenerative diseases.
The research is published online in the journal Environmental and Molecular Mutagenesis.
The Latest on: Dietary supplement
via Google News
The Latest on: Dietary supplement
- Nutrition/Dietary Supplements Market Worth Observing Growth : Abbott Laboratories, Herbalife, Amwayon November 12, 2020 at 12:25 pm
Stay up-to-date with Nutrition/Dietary Supplements Market research offered by HTF MI. Check how key trends and emerging drivers are shaping this industry growth.
- Global Dietary Supplements Market Size, Status and Trend by Companies, Regional Outlook 2026on November 12, 2020 at 12:19 pm
Selbyville, Delaware, MarketStudyReport.com offers report on Global Dietary Supplements Market that evaluates industry growth trends through historical data and estimates prospects based on ...
- COVID-19 brought new supplement users, but how does industry keep them?on November 12, 2020 at 8:41 am
The COVID-19 pandemic attracted new users to the dietary supplement category, but how can the industry retain these consumers long-term? Market researcher FMCG Gurus explores.
- ReVision Supplement Reviews - Eye Supplement ReVision Review By Expert With Facts And Proofson November 11, 2020 at 10:34 pm
ReVision Eye Supplement ReVision eye supplement reviews with facts and proofs. How is this advance vision dietary supplement is useful? What are the ingredients? Detailed ReVision review revealed!New ...
- Quietum Plus Reviews - Groundbreaking New Report on Hearing Health Supplementon November 10, 2020 at 8:19 pm
Quietum Plus is a hearing health support supplement that uses different herbs, minerals, and vitamins to improve your overall ear health. According to the official website, this formula has been ...
- ProstaStream Reviews – Does Frank Neal ProstaStream Supplement Help For Real?on November 10, 2020 at 6:57 pm
ProstaStream is a dietary supplement that almost everyone is talking about recently. The product claims to bring a ...
- Dietary Fiber Nutritional Supplements Market Report 2020-2026: Under COVID-19 Outbreak and Impact Analysison November 10, 2020 at 5:25 pm
The report inspection Global Dietary Fiber Nutritional Supplements Market 2020 gives you information regarding restraints driving abilities, business intelligence, dangers, and challenges about the ...
- 5 Best Weight Loss Pills and Diet Supplements of 2020on November 9, 2020 at 2:00 am
Between the fat burners you see over the counter, prescription weight loss medications you see on TV and the diet pills sold online, there is no shortage of options.
- Steel Bite Pro Reviews - Read Dietary Supplement Ingredients Benefits & Real Complaints!!on November 4, 2020 at 7:48 am
Steel_Bite_Pro_Review Dietary Supplement ReviewsDenver, CO, Nov. 04, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Oral hygiene is an important process worth mastering. However, it is not always easy to find the ideal ...
- Dietary supplement may help in the treatment of fatty liveron November 4, 2020 at 7:27 am
A recent study by researchers at the University of Jyväskylä was successful in partially preventing fatty liver disease in rats. Rats with fatty liver disease were fed with a dietary supplement that ...
via Bing News