A satellite whose components are not connected through electric cables but miniaturised radio modules: This innovation has earned two computer scientists from the University of Würzburg the first place in the INNOspace Masters competition.
Professor Sergio Montenegro and his fellow researcher Tobias Mikschl have reason to be happy: A few days ago, the two computer scientists from the Julius-Maximilians-Universität (JMU) Würzburg in Bavaria, Germany, took to the podium in Berlin – as the overall winners of the INNOspace Masters competition and as winners of the category “DLR Space Administration Challenge”. DLR is the national aeronautics and space research centre of the Federal Republic of Germany.
What the price was awarded for: Montenegro and Mikschl developed Skith, a technology for the world’s first wireless satellite. Previously, all single components of a satellite had to be interconnected using electric cables. Skith has changed that by using miniaturised high-speed real-time radio modules with short ranges. This reduces design effort and costs while boosting the satellite’s technical reliability and flexibility.
Test in space planned for 2018
“The system is ready and waiting in our labs to be tested in space under real conditions,” says Mikschl. In 2018 already, Skith could hitch a ride on a satellite to be launched into space, allowing the system to prove how well it functions under real conditions.
Skith stands for “skip the harness”. As a reward for their innovation, Montenegro and Mikschl received a certificate, a satellite-shaped trophy and the invitation to apply for money with the DLR to fund new projects.
Learn more: The world’s first wireless satellite
The Latest on: Wireless satellite
via Google News
The Latest on: Wireless satellite
- Britain on verge of bidding war with China for bankrupt satellite firm OneWebon June 26, 2020 at 4:14 am
The British Government is poised to enter a bidding war with some of China’s biggest technology companies ahead of a looming deadline for a collapsed satellite company. The Treasury is on the verge of ...
- Mobile and Wireless Backhaul Market 2020 | Global Overview By Industry Size, Share, Future Trends, Growth Factors, Analysis and Forecast by 2025on June 25, 2020 at 11:44 pm
According to IMARC Group's latest report, titled "Mobile and Wireless Backhaul Market: Industry Trends, Share, Size, Growth, Opportunity and Forecast 2020-2025,". Looking forward, IMARC Group expects ...
- AmpliVox Upgrades 96-Channel Wireless PA for Superior Soundon June 25, 2020 at 10:23 am
AmpliVox Sound Systems has introduced an upgraded version of its popular SW925-96 Digital Audio Travel Partner Plus with even greater sound quality and audience reach. The Made-in-the-USA, 96-channel ...
- M2M Satellite Communication Market Covering Prime Factors With COVID-19 Impact Analysis Globalstar, Hughes Network Systems LLC, Inmarsat plcon June 24, 2020 at 9:42 pm
M2M Satellite Communication Market report provide the COVID19 Outbreak Impact Analysis of key factors influencing the growth of the market size (Production, Value and Consumption). This M2M Satellite ...
- With ISRO, BEL as its clients, this wireless and semiconductor company is seeing Rs 75 Cr turnoveron June 24, 2020 at 6:40 pm
Bengaluru-based Saankhya Labs was started in 2007 as a wireless and semiconductor solutions company. In a span of 13 years, the company has bagged prestigious clients like ISRO and BEL.
- Moody’s Downgrades Dish On Debt, Satellite Video & Sling TV Trends, Cost Of Wireless Buildouton June 24, 2020 at 5:22 pm
Moody’s Investor Services downgraded Dish’s corporate family rating due to an overall need for capital to refinance and repay debt and deleverage the company as revenues shrink due to secular industry ...
- Intelsat debunks satellite connectivity myths with cellular backhaul offeringon June 24, 2020 at 7:39 am
PARTNER FEATURE: The Covid-19 (coronavirus) pandemic shone a spotlight on the critical role of connectivity in keeping people in touch with one another and delivering access to crucial information.
- Global Market Outlook for the Satellite & Telecommunication Resellers Market to 2027 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon June 24, 2020 at 4:59 am
Global Market Outlook (2019-2027)" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The Global Satellite & Telecommunication Resellers market accounted for $272.99 billion in 2019 and is ...
- FCC Opens C-Band Satellite Transition Plan Docketon June 18, 2020 at 11:29 am
The FCC is gearing up to get input on how satellite operators plan their move into the upper 200 MHz of the C-Band to make room for 5G wireless services and what they say it will cost. Those plans are ...
- The Global Wireless and Mobile Backhaul Equipment market is poised to grow at a CAGR of around 17.4% by 2028on June 17, 2020 at 5:53 am
The Global Wireless and Mobile Backhaul Equipment market is poised to grow at a CAGR of around 17.4% by 2028. View original content: ...
via Bing News