Irish physicists researching photonics have made a new discovery that will profoundly impact our understanding of the fundamental nature of light and possibly transform the future of communications.
The discovery by Prof Paul Eastham from Trinity College Dublin’s School of Physics and Prof John Donegan from the Science Foundation Ireland-backed CRANN research centre could have a major impact in terms of fibre-optic communications.
One of the measurable characteristics of light is known as angular momentum.
Up until now, in all forms of light, the angular momentum was thought to be multiples of Planck’s constant – the physical constant that sets the scale of quantum effects.
But the professors were able to discover a form of light where the angular momentum could be a fraction rather than a multiple.
‘What I think is so exciting about this result is that even this fundamental property of light, that physicists have always thought was fixed, can be changed’
– PROF PAUL EASTHAM, TCD
Their findings were published in the online journal Science Advances.
Donegan said that his research focuses on the study of light at nanometre scale.
“A beam of light is characterised by its colour or wavelength and a less familiar quantity known as angular momentum. Angular momentum measures how much something is rotating.
‘Our discovery will have real impacts for the study of light waves in areas such as secure optical communications’
– PROF JOHN DONEGAN, CRANN
“For a beam of light, although travelling in a straight line, it can also be rotating around its own axis. So, when light from the mirror hits your eye in the morning, every photon twists your eye a little, one way or another.
“Our discovery will have real impacts for the study of light waves in areas such as secure optical communications.”
The Latest on: Fibre-optic communications
via Google News
The Latest on: Fibre-optic communications
- NBC in Information and Culture Ministry: A grave misplacement on November 18, 2019 at 4:27 pm
The ICT is made up of Information Technology, IT, which relates to computer hardware, software and peripherals; and communications technology which involves telecommunications ... e.g. information ...
- Government set to sign contract for National Broadband Plan on November 18, 2019 at 4:04 pm
Minister for Communications Richard Bruton is expected to bring a ... businesses and schools in the intervention area to have direct access to broadband over fibre-optic cable. However, urban areas ...
- UPDATE 2-Israel's Bezeq Telecom hopes to start fibre rollout soon as profits fall on November 18, 2019 at 10:34 am
TEL AVIV, Nov 18 (Reuters) - Bezeq Israel Telecom said on Monday it hoped it could soon start deploying its fibre optic network after the telecoms regulator opened the door to a less comprehensive ...
- Kenya Telecoms, Mobile and Broadband Market Size, Growth, Analysis, Trends, and Opportunities 2019-2023 on November 18, 2019 at 4:16 am
The landing of four fibre-optic international submarine cables in recent years dramatically reduced ... Internet Solutions Kenya (InterConnect), Gilat Satellite Networks, Afsat Communications, ...
- Crashing Data Price With Telecom Infrastructure Deployment on November 15, 2019 at 8:36 pm
Apart from the former Minister of Communications Technology ... on telecom facilities like mobile towers and laying of fibre optic cables on the ground. In the opinion of Mr. Ayotunde Coker ...
- Saban to cede control of Partner; Hutchison to acquire stake on November 11, 2019 at 3:32 am
Through a spokesperson, Saban commented: ‘We invested in Partner with the aim of turning into the most advanced communications group in Israel. Today, Partner provides the highest quality mobile ...
- Moving of 911 dispatchers prove to be slow process on November 7, 2019 at 9:02 pm
The state-of-the-art communications center will be the best Debbie Vogel has worked in; however, hurdles remain in getting the facility open. Coy said the latest snag has come with getting fibre optic ...
- Israeli govt eases demands on Bezeq for fibre-optic network on November 7, 2019 at 2:15 am
The Israeli Ministry of Communication is prepared to ease up on demands it had made on Bezeq Israel Telecom to rescue plans for a nationwide fibre-optic network, Reuters reported. Bezeq has said it is ...
- Multiplexers Simultaneously Transmit Data Along a Single Communication Channel on November 6, 2019 at 1:37 pm
Multiplexers, designed to simultaneously transmit data along a single channel of communication, provide operators with the opportunity to gather ... digitised analogue signals from the depths to the ...
- Israel set to ease demands on Bezeq to fire up fibre-optic plans on November 5, 2019 at 8:33 am
Israel is prepared to ease up on demands it had made on Bezeq Israel Telecom to rescue plans for a nationwide fibre-optic network, the Communications Ministry said on Tuesday. By Steven Scheer ...
via Bing News