Researchers at the CRANN nanoscience institute at Trinity College Dublin have discovered a new clean energy material that will increase the adoption of hydrogen as a fuel in energy-efficient transport.
Hydrogen has been described as the ultimate clean energy source and, potentially, a real alternative to fossil fuels.
It is seen as very attractive as it is a pollution-free fuel and energy carrier that would satisfy much of the energy requirements of our society.
Hydrogen is readily prepared by splitting water electrically into its component parts hydrogen and oxygen; a process called electrolysis. However, this process requires a significant energy input.
‘Our disruptive materials breakthrough is momentous as it means much more energetically efficient and more economical hydrogen energy’
– PROF MIKE LYONS, CRANN
But now, researchers at CRANN have developed a material that enhances the splitting of water at a very low energy cost using Earth-abundant raw materials.
The Latest on: Hydrogen fuel
via Google News
The Latest on: Hydrogen fuel
- Can we make carbon-free steel from renewable hydrogen? on November 18, 2019 at 9:37 am
So really, the hydrogen being used is nothing but laundered natural gas, a cleaned-up fossil fuel. A hydrogen based economy only works if the hydrogen is "green" or made through electrolysis. Air ...
- Fuel for Rockets and Zeppelins Points Toward Green Heat Solution on November 16, 2019 at 10:00 pm
Researchers are refining a process that heats the methane found abundantly under the frozen Siberian tundra into solid carbon and hydrogen gas. The carbon could go into chemical production and the gas ...
- All the hydrogen vehicles available for purchase today on November 15, 2019 at 11:45 am
The promises of hydrogen are convincing indeed. It is a clean fuel with no harmful tailpipe emissions (unless you are harmed by water. If so, please see a doctor immediately). Hydrogen vehicles are ...
- French Gas Networks Could Mix in Green Hydrogen in Future-Operators on November 15, 2019 at 9:49 am
Hydrogen produces water when it burns rather than the greenhouse gas CO2, offering a clean fuel if it is produced from renewable sources such as wind or solar energy, rather than from oil and gas, the ...
- Norwegian scientists close to solving hydrogen fuel’s biggest problem on November 15, 2019 at 6:31 am
This week in future tech, researchers are closing in on a way to convert waste heat from industry into hydrogen fuel. Hydrogen fuel is being put forward as a zero-emissions alternative for many of the ...
- Storing energy in hydrogen 20 times more effective using platinum-nickel nanocatalyst on November 15, 2019 at 2:31 am
Using water, an electrolyzer converts (an excess of) electrical energy into hydrogen, which can be stored. At a later stage, a fuel cell does the opposite, converting the stored hydrogen back into ...
- Turning waste heat into hydrogen fuel on November 14, 2019 at 7:27 am
In June, the International Energy Agency confirmed what most experts already know: that the world should work harder to boost the use of pure hydrogen as an emissions-free energy source. One of the ...
- India to use hydrogen-based fuel as Delhi pollution continues on November 13, 2019 at 4:54 am
The Indian government has said it intends to use hydrogen-based fuel technology to help combat pollution, as Delhi was once again enveloped in “severe emergency” levels of smog. Pollution levels in ...
- AI Helps In Search For ‘Green Bullet Catalyst’ In Hydrogen Fuel Production on November 13, 2019 at 12:43 am
Using supercomputers, a research team from Trinity College Dublin (TCD) has taken a key step toward the production of non-polluting hydrogen fuel cheaply, efficiently and in industrial quantities.
- Hydrogen Fuel Cell Market Expansion Could Push Plug Power Stock Higher on November 11, 2019 at 2:01 am
As we come into the last weeks of 2019, it’s safe to say that it has been a landmark year for hydrogen fuel cell (HFC) maker Plug Power (NASDAQ:PLUG). Year-to-date, PLUG stock has rallied an ...
via Bing News