Researchers at the CRANN nanoscience institute at Trinity College Dublin have discovered a new clean energy material that will increase the adoption of hydrogen as a fuel in energy-efficient transport.
Hydrogen has been described as the ultimate clean energy source and, potentially, a real alternative to fossil fuels.
It is seen as very attractive as it is a pollution-free fuel and energy carrier that would satisfy much of the energy requirements of our society.
Hydrogen is readily prepared by splitting water electrically into its component parts hydrogen and oxygen; a process called electrolysis. However, this process requires a significant energy input.
‘Our disruptive materials breakthrough is momentous as it means much more energetically efficient and more economical hydrogen energy’
– PROF MIKE LYONS, CRANN
But now, researchers at CRANN have developed a material that enhances the splitting of water at a very low energy cost using Earth-abundant raw materials.
The Latest on: Hydrogen fuel
via Google News
The Latest on: Hydrogen fuel
- ZeroAvia Aims To Halve Operations Costs with Hydrogen Poweron August 16, 2019 at 10:04 am
ZeroAvia claims that flight-hour costs for its hydrogen-based powertrain will run around half of those of conventional turbine aircraft, taking account of lower fuel and maintenance costs, as well as ...
- VW ID Buggy driven, fuel-cell e-bike, charging vs. gas stations: Today’s Car Newson August 16, 2019 at 8:50 am
Charging stations outnumber gas stations in Britain. A hydrogen fuel-cell e-bike goes farther. And we get U.S. seat time with Volkswagen’s MEB platform. All this and more on Green Car Reports.
- Hydrogen fuel-cell e-bike claiming longer range, quick refuelingon August 16, 2019 at 6:30 am
Before the Toyota Mirai, the Honda Clarity Fuel Cell, and the Hyundai Nexo faced off with the current crop of electric cars, there was a hydrogen fuel-cell e-bike—the Alpha, which also demonstrated ...
- Plug Power looks to market fuel-cell powered airport tuggers after pilot with FedExon August 15, 2019 at 12:58 pm
Charlatte America built the ground support vehicles and they run on Plug Power’s zero-emission hydrogen engines. Marsh said the key to getting the fuel cell engines to a wider market will be working ...
- Ammonia for fuel cellson August 15, 2019 at 7:35 am
Traditional fuel cell research involves hydrogen fuel cells, but the UD researchers are engineering fuel cells that utilize ammonia instead. In a new analysis published in the journal Joule ...
- ZeroAvia is putting hydrogen fuel cells in airplaneson August 14, 2019 at 3:59 pm
ZeroAvia is using a hydrogen fuel-cell to provide zero-emissions power for flight. Alternative fuels for cars are pretty commonplace. We see electric vehicles and hybrids pretty much anytime we set ...
- Startups Bet Hydrogen Fuel Cells Are Ready For Takeoff In Aviationon August 14, 2019 at 3:52 pm
ZeroAvia's test bed is a Piper Matrix. The company is aiming for a test flight of 300 miles later this year. Courtesy of ZeroAvia For decades, researchers have pondered how to harness the potential of ...
- Hydrogen Storage Market 2019 Industry Demand, Size, Growth Report By 2024 - Market Research Engineon August 14, 2019 at 5:00 am
... techniques have an inherent importance with the fact that the technology's in implementation would mean the event of hydrogen fuel applications. Browse Full Report: ...
- SDG9: How Air Liquide is harnessing hydrogen to help fuel an industrial revolutionon August 14, 2019 at 4:49 am
Hydrogen has long been an exciting prospect for the low carbon transition. After all, it is an abundant gas, which can also be used as a liquid. You can store energy, heat homes, and fuel trucks, ...
- This company wants to fill the skies with hydrogen-powered planes by 2022on August 14, 2019 at 4:00 am
A new company that aims to build and sell planes that run on hydrogen-powered electricity emerged from stealth Wednesday. ZeroAvia, based in Hollister, Calif., claims its planes will be cheaper to ...
via Bing News