A new glue that forms a strong bond when activated by low voltage electricity may be the first of its kind.
Researchers at Nanyang Technological University in Singapore believe the adhesive may be a game-changer in manufacturing fields as diverse as biological implants and automobiles.
The new adhesive is a liquid gel that “cures” to form a polymer bond when a voltage of less than two volts is passed through it. Curing is the amount of time it takes for a glue to reach full strength after it dries. The glue stops curing as soon as the current is turned off. Users can fine-tune the bond’s strength and flexibility by varying the current’s voltage and duration.
The bonding agent is a light, low-viscosity flowing liquid that allows users to coat and exactly position the materials to be joined. Applying voltage to the gel then rapidly cures it to a strong bond with high elasticity and high shear strength.
Currently available quick-curing adhesives used in industry are activated by light, heat or chemical catalysts, each of which limits uses to particular materials and appropriate environments. Light-activated adhesives, for example, are only suited to materials that are somewhat transparent, while thermosetting can only be used with components that can tolerate heat.
Such quick-curing adhesives are used widely in the manufacture of medical devices, automobiles and other consumer goods, where they are favoured over more labour-intensive, heavier mechanical fasteners such as rivets, screws or bolts, which weaken the materials to be fixed. However, there has been little innovation in the field for decades.
Potential uses for electro-cured adhesives include biological devices for which photo- or thermo-setting glues are problematic, such as bioelectronics or polymer electronics designed for attachment to living tissue. The adhesive can be tuned to handle certain vibration frequencies or to match the firmness and flexibility of the soft tissue to which it will be attached.
Learn more: New glue instantly hardens with electric current
The Latest on: Adhesive
via Google News
The Latest on: Adhesive
- Global Pressure Sensitive Adhesive Tapes Market Size, Analysis, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2025on December 4, 2020 at 4:38 am
Selbyville, Delaware, Global Pressure Sensitive Adhesive Tapes Market Report added at Market Study Report LLC offers industry size, share, growth, trends and forecast analysis. Global Pressure ...
- New Trends Expected to Growth Adhesive & Sealant Market from 2021 2024 Growth Analysis by Manufacturers Regions Types and Applicationson December 3, 2020 at 11:02 pm
Global Adhesive and Sealant Market Report 2020 -2024 contains systematic and point to point information regarding ...
- EMKA Self-Adhesive Gaskets Now Certified for Hygiene Applications – Also as Punched Sheet Gasketson December 3, 2020 at 12:04 am
As part of their ongoing development program, EMKA's self-adhesive gaskets have recently received certification to hygiene standard VDI 6022.
- EMKA self-adhesive gaskets now certified for hygiene applications also as punched sheet gasketson December 2, 2020 at 8:50 am
(MENAFN - Online PR Media) As part of their ongoing development program, EMKA's self-adhesive gaskets have recently received certification to hygiene standard VDI 6022. Online PR News 02-December ...
- Medical Device Adhesive Market Research Report by Resin Type, by Technology, by Application - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of COVID-19on December 2, 2020 at 5:03 am
Reportlinker.com announces the release of the report "Medical Device Adhesive Market Research Report by Resin Type, by Technology, by Application - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of COVID ...
- iFixit display adhesive did not stickon December 1, 2020 at 3:04 pm
I am a 7 year veteran of the Apple Store, recently left to be a system engineer at a local company. I had a friend approach me needing a hard drive replacement in their 2013 27” iMac. This is a repair ...
- Global Adhesive Tapes Market Projected to be Worth $ 17.02 Billion during 2020-2024on November 30, 2020 at 7:28 am
The global adhesive tapes market size is expected to grow by USD 17.02 billion during 2020-2024, progressing at a CAGR of over 5% during the forecast period. This press release features multimedia.
- Global Adhesive Tapes Market Projected to be Worth $ 17.02 Billion during 2020-2024on November 30, 2020 at 6:03 am
The global adhesive tapes market size is expected to grow by USD 17.02 billion during 2020-2024, progressing at a CAGR of over 5% during the forecast period. Click & get FREE sample Report in MINUTES ...
- Recall alert: Tesla recalls 9K vehicles due to adhesive issue, another 400 for bolt connectionson November 25, 2020 at 8:48 am
Automaker Tesla is recalling more than 9,000 vehicles. The company filed paperwork with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to recall 9,136 2016 Model X cars, Reuters reported. The ...
- Tesla is recalling more than 9,000 Model X cars over a cosmetic adhesive that could fly offon November 25, 2020 at 6:45 am
Tesla said it's not received word of any accidents or injuries, but noted the "applique" could detach from the car posing a safety hazard.
via Bing News