A new glue that forms a strong bond when activated by low voltage electricity may be the first of its kind.
Researchers at Nanyang Technological University in Singapore believe the adhesive may be a game-changer in manufacturing fields as diverse as biological implants and automobiles.
The new adhesive is a liquid gel that “cures” to form a polymer bond when a voltage of less than two volts is passed through it. Curing is the amount of time it takes for a glue to reach full strength after it dries. The glue stops curing as soon as the current is turned off. Users can fine-tune the bond’s strength and flexibility by varying the current’s voltage and duration.
The bonding agent is a light, low-viscosity flowing liquid that allows users to coat and exactly position the materials to be joined. Applying voltage to the gel then rapidly cures it to a strong bond with high elasticity and high shear strength.
Currently available quick-curing adhesives used in industry are activated by light, heat or chemical catalysts, each of which limits uses to particular materials and appropriate environments. Light-activated adhesives, for example, are only suited to materials that are somewhat transparent, while thermosetting can only be used with components that can tolerate heat.
Such quick-curing adhesives are used widely in the manufacture of medical devices, automobiles and other consumer goods, where they are favoured over more labour-intensive, heavier mechanical fasteners such as rivets, screws or bolts, which weaken the materials to be fixed. However, there has been little innovation in the field for decades.
Potential uses for electro-cured adhesives include biological devices for which photo- or thermo-setting glues are problematic, such as bioelectronics or polymer electronics designed for attachment to living tissue. The adhesive can be tuned to handle certain vibration frequencies or to match the firmness and flexibility of the soft tissue to which it will be attached.
Learn more: New glue instantly hardens with electric current
The Latest on: Adhesive
via Google News
The Latest on: Adhesive
- Engineering Adhesive Market to Set New Growth Story : Henkel, Huntsman, DowDupont, 3Mon May 12, 2020 at 9:22 am
Advance Market Analytics recently introduced Global Engineering Adhesive Market study with in-depth overview, describing about the Product / Industry Scope and elaborates market outlook and status to ...
- Quick-drying Adhesive Market 2020 by Company, Regions, Type, Application and Forecast to 2027on May 11, 2020 at 7:13 pm
In accordance with the study held by Ameco Research, the Quick-drying Adhesive market was valued US$ Quick-drying Adhesive Mn in 2019 and projected to reach US$ Quick-drying Adhesive Mn in 2027 with a ...
- Proof-of-Concept Research Demonstrates Patients Reliably Perform Remote Self-Sampling of Concerning Moles Using DermTech’s Non-Invasive Adhesive Skin Collection Kit Under ...on May 11, 2020 at 3:24 pm
DermTech, Inc. (NASDAQ: DMTK) (“DermTech”), a leader in precision dermatology enabled by a non-invasive skin genomics platform, today announced that S ...
- Global Hybrid Adhesive Market 2020 Research by Top Manufacturers, Segmentation, Industry Growth, Size, Regional Analysis and Forecast by 2026on May 11, 2020 at 8:23 am
The comprehensive research study on Global Hybrid Adhesive Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2026 presents a thorough market analysis, categorizing the market ...
- Europe High-Strength Medical Adhesive Market 2020 is Evolving Rapidly with Economic Growth, Demand, and Forthcoming Opportunitieson May 10, 2020 at 11:05 pm
Strength Medical Adhesive Market 2020 Research Report investigates the industry thoroughly and offers a complete study on High-Strength Medical Adhesive volume, market Share, market Trends, Global ...
- Innovative Solutions for Films, Reflective Materials and Adhesive Tape Systems - Eastern Metal Signs & Safety Has Them Nowon May 9, 2020 at 12:03 am
Eastern Metal Signs and Safety is partnering with Orafol on their sheeting materials to provide sign shops and others with more products and materials at discounted, affordable prices.
- Adhesive and Sealant Council names scholarship winnerson May 8, 2020 at 2:55 pm
The Adhesive and Sealant Council is awarding a total of $7,000 in scholarships to five students pursuing science or business degrees. The scholarship program dates to 2017 and was established in ...
- Latex Paper-Backing Abrasive Adhesive Discs Market Trend, Segmentation and Opportunities Forecast to 2025on May 8, 2020 at 10:01 am
Apart from this, the literature sheds light on how major vendors operating in the Latex Paper-Backing Abrasive Adhesive Discs market are making the best use of their marketing campaigns. With an ...
- DermTech Announces Telemedicine Solution to Enable Remote Use of its Non-Invasive Adhesive Patch Test for Melanoma Detectionon April 30, 2020 at 2:03 pm
DermTech, Inc. (NASDAQ: DMTK) (“DermTech”), today announced that its lead non-invasive melanoma detection test, the DermTech Pigmented Lesion Assay (t ...
- Dow launches fast curing silicone adhesive for reduced energy usage, greater assembly efficiency at any production volumeon April 29, 2020 at 8:35 am
Versatile new silicone adhesive cures at room temperature with early adhesion development and supports prototyping to high-volume manufacturing.
via Bing News