A new glue that forms a strong bond when activated by low voltage electricity may be the first of its kind.
Researchers at Nanyang Technological University in Singapore believe the adhesive may be a game-changer in manufacturing fields as diverse as biological implants and automobiles.
The new adhesive is a liquid gel that “cures” to form a polymer bond when a voltage of less than two volts is passed through it. Curing is the amount of time it takes for a glue to reach full strength after it dries. The glue stops curing as soon as the current is turned off. Users can fine-tune the bond’s strength and flexibility by varying the current’s voltage and duration.
The bonding agent is a light, low-viscosity flowing liquid that allows users to coat and exactly position the materials to be joined. Applying voltage to the gel then rapidly cures it to a strong bond with high elasticity and high shear strength.
Currently available quick-curing adhesives used in industry are activated by light, heat or chemical catalysts, each of which limits uses to particular materials and appropriate environments. Light-activated adhesives, for example, are only suited to materials that are somewhat transparent, while thermosetting can only be used with components that can tolerate heat.
Such quick-curing adhesives are used widely in the manufacture of medical devices, automobiles and other consumer goods, where they are favoured over more labour-intensive, heavier mechanical fasteners such as rivets, screws or bolts, which weaken the materials to be fixed. However, there has been little innovation in the field for decades.
Potential uses for electro-cured adhesives include biological devices for which photo- or thermo-setting glues are problematic, such as bioelectronics or polymer electronics designed for attachment to living tissue. The adhesive can be tuned to handle certain vibration frequencies or to match the firmness and flexibility of the soft tissue to which it will be attached.
Learn more: New glue instantly hardens with electric current
The Latest on: Adhesive
via Google News
The Latest on: Adhesive
- Angel Crafts Adhesive Vinyl Sheets Receive Recommendation from First Time Vinyl Users on November 18, 2019 at 1:17 am
Angel Crafts’ popular art and crafts accessory Adhesive Vinyl Sheets are now amongst the most popular Amazon products in its category. Available in dimensions of 12 inch by 12 inch, this product has ...
- Water-based Adhesive Market to Grow at a Moderate Pace Through 2026 on November 17, 2019 at 9:32 pm
Nov 18, 2019 (Global QYResearch via COMTEX) -- A new research report titled “Global Water-based Adhesive market” successfully exhibits the complete scenario of the global and an individual analysis of ...
- Bio Adhesive Market Size, Share, Major Players, Strong Application, Top Region, Industry Investment Analysis and 2023 Forecast Research Study on November 15, 2019 at 3:12 am
Bioadhesive Information: By Material (Natural Polymer, Synthetic Polymers), Application (Drug Delivery, Tissue Repair, Tissue Substitutes, Packaging), Type (Plant-Based, and Animal-Based), End Users ...
- Henkel Adhesive Technologies Opens North American Technical Center of Excellence for Flexible Packaging on November 14, 2019 at 4:21 pm
Expanded capabilities strengthen packaging analyses and testing and enhance customer experience. Henkel Adhesive Technologies, a market leader with high-impact solutions in adhesives, sealants and ...
- A novel dual-adhesive and bioactive hydrogel activated by bioglass for wound healing on November 14, 2019 at 3:13 pm
In this study, we developed a unique bioglass (BG)/oxidized sodium alginate (OSA) composite hydrogel with adipic acid dihydrazide (ADH)-modified γ-polyglutamic acid (γ-PGA) as the cross-linking agent, ...
- Automotive Lightweighting with Adhesive Bonding on November 13, 2019 at 1:24 pm
Composites assemblies require bonding with adhesive resins or fasteners. The adhesive bonding of automotive components is more attractive than mechanical fastening for several reasons. Fasteners can ...
- Wickes Self Adhesive Hi-tack Flashing Strip 225mm x 10m on November 12, 2019 at 4:13 am
You are not logged in to save your list permanently. Until you log in, your list will be saved temporarily and can only be accessed from the device you are using now.
- Angel Crafts Adhesive Vinyl Sheets Receive Accolades from Art and Craft Enthusiasts on November 11, 2019 at 3:35 pm
Adhesive Vinyl Sheets, a popular product from Angel Crafts, continue to receive extraordinary response from Amazon shoppers. Many of these satisfied users have used this product for home décor, window ...
- Thrifty mum transforms her outdated kitchen for less than £80 - using marble adhesive wrap from B&Q on November 11, 2019 at 1:59 am
A thrifty mother has revealed she gave her kitchen an impressive modern makeover for less than £80. Gemma Evans, from Llangynidr in Wales, shared unrecognisable before and after photos of her ...
- Water Based Adhesive Market Thorough Outlook With Significant Aspects Like Revenue, Key Vendors, Types, And Applications Forecast 2028 on November 10, 2019 at 10:45 pm
Nov 11, 2019 (WiredRelease via COMTEX) -- "Global Water based Adhesive Market" report includes the world’s crucial region market share, size (volume), recent trends including the product profit, value ...
via Bing News