A new glue that forms a strong bond when activated by low voltage electricity may be the first of its kind.
Researchers at Nanyang Technological University in Singapore believe the adhesive may be a game-changer in manufacturing fields as diverse as biological implants and automobiles.
The new adhesive is a liquid gel that “cures” to form a polymer bond when a voltage of less than two volts is passed through it. Curing is the amount of time it takes for a glue to reach full strength after it dries. The glue stops curing as soon as the current is turned off. Users can fine-tune the bond’s strength and flexibility by varying the current’s voltage and duration.
The bonding agent is a light, low-viscosity flowing liquid that allows users to coat and exactly position the materials to be joined. Applying voltage to the gel then rapidly cures it to a strong bond with high elasticity and high shear strength.
Currently available quick-curing adhesives used in industry are activated by light, heat or chemical catalysts, each of which limits uses to particular materials and appropriate environments. Light-activated adhesives, for example, are only suited to materials that are somewhat transparent, while thermosetting can only be used with components that can tolerate heat.
Such quick-curing adhesives are used widely in the manufacture of medical devices, automobiles and other consumer goods, where they are favoured over more labour-intensive, heavier mechanical fasteners such as rivets, screws or bolts, which weaken the materials to be fixed. However, there has been little innovation in the field for decades.
Potential uses for electro-cured adhesives include biological devices for which photo- or thermo-setting glues are problematic, such as bioelectronics or polymer electronics designed for attachment to living tissue. The adhesive can be tuned to handle certain vibration frequencies or to match the firmness and flexibility of the soft tissue to which it will be attached.
Learn more: New glue instantly hardens with electric current
The Latest on: Adhesive
via Google News
The Latest on: Adhesive
- ITALIAN PAPER MANUFACTURER FEDRIGONI HAS AGREED TO PAY AROUND 250-300 MLN EUROS TO BUY SELF-ADHESIVE PRODUCTS' MAKER RITRAMA - SOURCEon October 30, 2019 at 1:56 am
ITALIAN PAPER MANUFACTURER FEDRIGONI HAS AGREED TO PAY AROUND 250-300 MLN EUROS TO BUY SELF-ADHESIVE PRODUCTS' MAKER RITRAMA - SOURCE ...
- Adhesive Bandages Market will likely see expanding of marketable business segmentson October 25, 2019 at 1:51 am
Oct 25, 2019 (HTF Market Intelligence via COMTEX) -- This intelligence report provides a comprehensive analysis of the "Global Adhesive Bandages Market. This includes Investigation of past progress, ...
- Hybrid Adhesive & Sealant Market Analysis, Size, Revenue, Price, Industry Share, Growth, Challenges, Development, Segmentation And Forecast By 2023on October 24, 2019 at 9:50 am
Hybrid Adhesive & Sealant Market Information- by Resin Type (MS Polymer, Epoxy-Polysulfide, Epoxy-Polyurethane, Epoxy-Cyanoacrylate, and Others), by Application (Building & Construction, Automotive & ...
- Seam Tapes Market a Comprehensive Study by Key Players: Adhesive Films, Inc., Bemis Associates Inc., DingZing Advanced Materialson October 23, 2019 at 5:43 am
The market Study is segmented by key regions which is accelerating the marketization. At present, the market is developing its presence and some of the key players from the complete study are Adhesive ...
- India Tile Adhesive Market Opportunities, Share, Key Players, Size Estimation, Competitive Analysis and Regional Forecast to 2023on October 23, 2019 at 12:15 am
The India Tile Adhesive Market, as per a report by Market Research Future (MRFR) is touted to register a CAGR of 9.09%, surpassing a valuation of USD 136.76 million during the forecast period ...
- Two adhesive systems cooperatively regulate axon ensheathment and myelin growth in the CNSon October 22, 2019 at 2:18 am
In the absence of these adhesive systems, axonal recognition by myelin is impaired with myelin growing on top of previously myelinated fibers, around neuronal cell bodies and above nodes of Ranvier.
- Contact Adhesive Market Latest Advancement And New Upcoming Trends To 2028on October 22, 2019 at 12:35 am
Oct 22, 2019 (WiredRelease via COMTEX) -- Contact Adhesive Market report 2019 is dispensed after a thorough study of various key market segments like Market Size, Latest Trends, Market Threats & Key ...
- Dental Adhesive Market To Reach USD 3.30 Billion By 2026 | Reports And Dataon October 21, 2019 at 9:04 am
Dental Adhesive Market Size - USD 1.94 billion in 2018, Market Growth - CAGR of 6.8%, Dental Adhesive Industry Trends - Product launches and research for advanced global dental adhesive market NEW ...
- Structural Adhesive Tape Market Report 2019 With Top Countries Data: Analysis, Price and Gross Margin, Market Size, Competition by Manufacturerson October 18, 2019 at 4:13 am
"Research report analyzes the market status, market share, growth rate, future trends, and market drivers that is analyzed by our industry experts. " The Global ' Structural Adhesive Tape Market ...
- Adhesive TPE bonds to ASA for auto exterior applicationson October 17, 2019 at 12:44 pm
Kraiburg TPE offers a broad range of thermoplastic elastomers (TPEs) for interior and exterior applications, as well as applications for engine compartments and power trains of motor vehicles. Gutsche ...
via Bing News