Tiny electronic sensors and devices that can be implanted in the body and then dissolve almost without a trace are getting closer to reality.
Scientists have tested several biodegradable materials, including DNA, proteins and metals, for making transient electronics. Now one team, reporting in the journal ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, has taken another step toward this goal. They created a dissolvable device component out of egg proteins, magnesium and tungsten.
Transient electronics have many potential applications from localized drug delivery to pollution monitoring. To explore these possibilities, scientists have been working with an array of natural materials to test how well they perform in electronic devices and whether they might cause side effects or damage when implanted. Unlike conventional electronics that contribute to a growing amount of harmful waste, dissolvable devices are designed to be compatible with the environment. Jikui Luo, Xiaozhi Wang and colleagues wanted to build on this work and develop a transient memory resistor with dissolvable components. This electronic component, also called a memristor, is a new type of resistor that regulates the flow of electric current and also can “remember” charges.
The researchers rapidly spun diluted egg albumin, the white part of an egg, on a silicon wafer to turn it into an ultra-thin film. Then they incorporated electrodes made out of magnesium and tungsten. Testing showed that the device’s performance matched that of non-degradable memristors. Under dry conditions in the lab, the components worked reliably for more than three months. In water, the electrodes and albumin dissolved in two to 10 hours in the lab. The rest of the chip took about three days to break down, leaving minimal residues behind.
The Latest on: Dissolvable electronics
via Google News
The Latest on: Dissolvable electronics
- Caliper Launches Clinically Validated Dissolvable CBD Powders With Circle K Texas Regionon November 18, 2020 at 5:58 am
DENVER, Nov. 18, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Caliper, a leading brand of clinically substantiated dissolvable CBD powders, is now available at point of sale in more than 600 Circle K stores across Texas.
- We Have A Problem: 3D Printers Are Too Expensiveon November 15, 2020 at 4:00 pm
Food safe PLA is now the norm, with dissolvable and other exotic filaments becoming more mainstream. New filaments are making it possible to print objects that were not possible before.
- 5 Predictions of Tech Disruptions in the Next Decadeon November 12, 2020 at 4:00 pm
In this next decade, we may see the first usable organs for transplant grown out of our own cells. The basic structure will be 3D-printed in dissolvable material. Skin cells from a recipient will be ...
- Oral Dissolvable Films Market 2020 Share, Size Global Growth Prospects, Trends, Industry Analysis, Key Players and Forecast to 2025on November 9, 2020 at 3:03 pm
Oral Dissolvable Films Market Forecast by regions ... Development Status and Industry Expansion Strategies 2025 Man Portable Military Electronics Market 2020 Share, Size Global Forthcoming ...
- Heterogeneous integration of rigid, soft, and liquid materials for self-healable, recyclable, and reconfigurable wearable electronicson November 8, 2020 at 1:30 am
These authors contributed equally to this work. See allHide authors and affiliations Wearable electronics can be integrated with the human body for monitoring physical activities and health conditions ...
- Further Developments Made in Dissolvable Supports for Metal 3D Printed Partson November 1, 2020 at 4:00 pm
A curated collection of industry and product deep-dives. Stefanie Brickwede’s efforts at Deutsche Bahn and Mobility Goes Additive are herculean and will have a significant impact on our industry ...
- new gelatin microcarrier for cell productionon October 30, 2020 at 8:05 pm
Dissolvable Gelatin‐Based Microcarriers Generated Through Droplet Microfluidics for Expansion and Culture of Mesenchymal Stromal Cells. Biotechnology Journal , 2020; 2000048 DOI: 10.1002/biot ...
- Researchers develop new gelatin microcarrier for cell productionon October 29, 2020 at 10:16 am
SMART's newly developed dissolvable gelatin-based microcarrier has proven useful for expansion of mesenchymal stromal cells (MSCs), a cell type of great current interest as they can be isolated ...
- Global Oral Thin Film Drugs Market 2019 Size, Share, Company Profiles, Regional Study, Business Trends, Industry Segments, Landscape and Demandon October 22, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Orally Dissolvable Thin Film (ODF) or sublingual/ wafers is a drug delivery mechanism, developed with paper-thin polymer films that carry pharmaceutical agents. Besides, ease in administering ...
- Cobots adapt to needs in plastics and packagingon October 6, 2020 at 5:00 pm
“Cobots can be implemented in a variety of industries including packaging, plastics, electronics, metal fabrication, automotive and general manufacturing,” says Mike Fair, Rethink Robotics’ product ...
via Bing News