Using your skin as a touchscreen has been brought a step closer after UK scientists successfully created tactile sensations on the palm using ultrasound sent through the hand.
The University of Sussex-led study – funded by the Nokia Research Centre and the European Research Council – is the first to find a way for users to feel what they are doing when interacting with displays projected on their hand.
This solves one of the biggest challenges for technology companies who see the human body, particularly the hand, as the ideal display extension for the next generation of smartwatches and other smart devices.
Current ideas rely on vibrations or pins, which both need contact with the palm to work, interrupting the display.
However, this new innovation, called SkinHaptics, sends sensations to the palm from the other side of the hand, leaving the palm free to display the screen.
The device uses ‘time-reversal’ processing to send ultrasound waves through the hand. This technique is effectively like ripples in water but in reverse – the waves become more targeted as they travel through the hand, ending at a precise point on the palm.
It draws on a rapidly growing field of technology called haptics, which is the science of applying touch sensation and control to interaction with computers and technology.
Professor Sriram Subramanian, who leads the research team at the University of Sussex, says that technologies will inevitably need to engage other senses, such as touch, as we enter what designers are calling an ‘eye-free’ age of technology.
He says: “Wearables are already big business and will only get bigger. But as we wear technology more, it gets smaller and we look at it less, and therefore multisensory capabilities become much more important.
“If you imagine you are on your bike and want to change the volume control on your smartwatch, the interaction space on the watch is very small. So companies are looking at how to extend this space to the hand of the user.
“What we offer people is the ability to feel their actions when they are interacting with the hand.”
The Latest on: Haptic technology
via Google News
The Latest on: Haptic technology
- Next Generation Data Storage Technologies Market Adopting Effective Business Strategies, Innovative Technology and Forecast 2027on March 23, 2020 at 5:37 am
It calculates the growth rate of the market and offers refined forecasts for the period between 2018 and 2027. The report is titled “Haptics Technology Market - Global Industry Analysis, Market Size, ...
- Global Vehicle Haptic Technology Market Size, Share, Trends, Latest Innovations, Drivers, Dynamics And Strategic Analysis, Challenges By 2026on March 20, 2020 at 1:29 am
The study of the "Global Vehicle Haptic Technology Market" provides the market size information and market trends along with the factors and parameters impacting it in both short and long term. The ...
- Insights Into the Surface Haptic Technology Industry, 2020 & Beyond - YoY Growth, Trends, Leading Regions, Challenges and Top Playerson March 19, 2020 at 10:15 am
/PRNewswire/ -- The "Surface Haptic Technology Market - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2019 - 2027" report has been ...
- Haptics Technology Market Advanced Technology and New Innovations by 2027on March 19, 2020 at 6:47 am
Global Haptics Technology Market 2020 Size, Future Growth, Trends Plans, Top Key Players, Explosive Growth Opportunity, Regional Analysis, Industry Share, Global Size Analysis by Forecast to 2027. The ...
- Haptic Technology Market : Investigation and Growth Forecast until the End of 2029on March 18, 2020 at 11:36 pm
The research study on Global Haptic Technology market 2019 presents an extensive analysis of current Haptic Technology market size, drivers, trends, opportunities, challenges, as well as key Haptic ...
- What is haptic feedback and how will it change the way we play?on March 17, 2020 at 7:02 am
Haptic Feedback has become one of those buzzwords that's becoming synonymous with PS5 - and to some extent the Xbox Series X too. For Xbox One and PS4, there came the chants of 4K and 60fps, and now ...
- Global Surface Haptic Technology Market Report 2020: Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast to 2027on March 16, 2020 at 6:45 pm
Dublin, March 16, 2020 -- The "Surface Haptic Technology Market - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2019 - 2027" report has been added.
- Immersion and FeelRobotics Sign Agreement to Advance Sex Tech Devices and Content With New Interactive Two-Way Haptic Experienceson March 16, 2020 at 5:55 pm
Immersion Corp. (NASDAQ: IMMR), the leading developer and licensor of touch feedback technology, and Feel Robotics B.V., a high-tech robotics company, announced the signing of a commercial agreement ...
- Haptics is Ready for Standardizationon March 10, 2020 at 1:09 pm
As excited as we all are about haptic technology coming into its own, it’s difficult to ignore a serious problem that comes with this increased adoption—market fragmentation. Different proprietary ...
- PS5’s Dualshock 5 Controller Will Increase Demand of Advanced Haptic Experiences, Says Haptic Tech Devon March 10, 2020 at 6:04 am
PS5’s Dualshock 5 controller will catalyze the demand for advanced haptic experiences according to Haptic Technology developer, Immersion. Sony is going all-in with the Dualshock 5 controller’s Haptic ...
via Bing News