Instead of reading a label, consumers could be interacting with an electronic screen on packaging in the future, thanks to a revolutionary new development by scientists at the University of Sheffield.
The scientists collaborated with technology company Novalia to create a new way of displaying information on packaging, a move that could revolutionise the packaging industry.
This technology could be used in greetings cards or products where a customer could receive a simple message. More complex developments could include a countdown timer on the side of a packet to indicate when a timed product was ready – such as hair-dye, pregnancy tests or home-baking using a ‘traffic lights’ system.
In a paper published in the IEEE Journal of Display Technology, the team explain how a screen can be fixed onto packaging to display information.
The process involves printing electronic tracks onto paper and then fixing low-cost electronics and a polymer LED display to the paper using an adhesive that conducts electricity.
Working together, University of Sheffield scientists and Novalia also designed and constructed a touch-pad keyboard on the paper that allows a user to selectively ‘drive’ the LEDs in the display.
The research has been funded by the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) and testing so far has taken place on paper but the process could potentially be printed on other surfaces.
The team’s next steps are to create fully flexible organic displays on a plastic substrate that then fix onto the electronic tracks. The LED devices need to be low-cost and flexible enough to be used on all packaging.
Professor David Lidzey from the University’s Department of Physics and Astronomy said: “Labels on packaging could become much more innovative, and allow customers to interact with and explore new products. The use of displays or light emitting panels on packaging will also allow companies to communicate brand awareness in a more sophisticated manner.”
Chris Jones from Novalia said: “The paper-based packaging industry is worth billions of dollars. This innovative system we have developed with the University of Sheffield could give manufacturers a way to gain market share by being able to distinguish its products from competitors.”
The Latest on: Interactive packaging
via Google News
The Latest on: Interactive packaging
- Skin Packaging Market Size Worth $13.38 Billion by 2025 | CAGR: 5.8%: Grand View Research, Inc.on November 26, 2019 at 1:43 am
Skin packaging offers several benefits such as increased shelf ... in-depth analysis on 46 industries across 25 major countries worldwide. With the help of an interactive market intelligence platform, ...
- Ynvisble Strengthens Board of Directors | IDTechEx Research Articleon November 23, 2019 at 12:00 am
Michael Robinson is currently Director of Open Innovation & Business Development for Packaging Innovation at L'Oréal USA ... We would like to thank both Inês and Martin for their active contribution ...
- Smurfit Kappa unveils innovative packaging portfolio to replace single-use plastics in beverage packson November 22, 2019 at 4:40 am
All three innovative products were showcased at Smurfit Kappa’s first ever Better Planet Packaging Day which took place across its global network of Experience Centres on 21 November. A series of ...
- Indonesian retailer Matahari Putra Prima partners Disney for branded packagingon November 20, 2019 at 2:34 am
The Walt Disney Company has tied up with Indonesian grocery retailer Matahari Putra Prima (MPPA) for a campaign titled “Discover Disney at Hypermart”, which will feature product packaging inspired by ...
- Connected Packaging: The Future Is Hereon November 18, 2019 at 10:46 pm
Over the past few years, the role of packaging in the food & beverage ... juice and other beverage cartons into interactive information channels, full-scale data carriers, and digital tools ...
- E Ink and RyPax Wing Fat Work in Partnership to Showcase Smart Pharmaceutical Packaging Concepts at AIPIA World Congress 2019on November 18, 2019 at 4:10 pm
ePaper serves as the ideal electronic communication medium by integrating with electronics, such as sensors, to monitor and verify the product status, and to create a connected, interactive user ...
- Behringer Multicom Pro MDX4400 4-Channel Audio Interactive Dynamics Processoron November 16, 2019 at 5:54 pm
This item is sold As-Described and cannot be returned unless it arrives in a condition different from how it was described or photographed. Items must be returned in original, as-shipped condition ...
- The promise of connected packaging: from brand protection to consumer engagementon November 13, 2019 at 5:33 am
None of those solutions could offer the kind of interactive engagement options described in the previous section. Instead, the current advances in connected packaging are being driven by digital ...
- Bulk Container Packaging Market News, Demand, Opportunity during 2016-2022on November 12, 2019 at 2:28 am
Key Players Some of the major players in the market include Google, Inc., Microsoft Corporation, Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC, HTC Corporation, and Oculus VR LLC. Report Contents Regional ...
- Kraft Cheese Intros Interactive Packaging At Walmarton September 24, 2019 at 12:34 pm
Kraft Cheese is launching a nationwide “intelligent packaging” campaign for its products sold ... In-store shoppers can receive recipe content along with an interactive scratch-and-win game that can ...
via Bing News