Instead of reading a label, consumers could be interacting with an electronic screen on packaging in the future, thanks to a revolutionary new development by scientists at the University of Sheffield.
The scientists collaborated with technology company Novalia to create a new way of displaying information on packaging, a move that could revolutionise the packaging industry.
This technology could be used in greetings cards or products where a customer could receive a simple message. More complex developments could include a countdown timer on the side of a packet to indicate when a timed product was ready – such as hair-dye, pregnancy tests or home-baking using a ‘traffic lights’ system.
In a paper published in the IEEE Journal of Display Technology, the team explain how a screen can be fixed onto packaging to display information.
The process involves printing electronic tracks onto paper and then fixing low-cost electronics and a polymer LED display to the paper using an adhesive that conducts electricity.
Working together, University of Sheffield scientists and Novalia also designed and constructed a touch-pad keyboard on the paper that allows a user to selectively ‘drive’ the LEDs in the display.
The research has been funded by the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) and testing so far has taken place on paper but the process could potentially be printed on other surfaces.
The team’s next steps are to create fully flexible organic displays on a plastic substrate that then fix onto the electronic tracks. The LED devices need to be low-cost and flexible enough to be used on all packaging.
Professor David Lidzey from the University’s Department of Physics and Astronomy said: “Labels on packaging could become much more innovative, and allow customers to interact with and explore new products. The use of displays or light emitting panels on packaging will also allow companies to communicate brand awareness in a more sophisticated manner.”
Chris Jones from Novalia said: “The paper-based packaging industry is worth billions of dollars. This innovative system we have developed with the University of Sheffield could give manufacturers a way to gain market share by being able to distinguish its products from competitors.”
The Latest on: Interactive packaging
via Google News
The Latest on: Interactive packaging
- Should Mold-Tek Packaging Limited (NSE:MOLDTKPAC) Be Part Of Your Dividend Portfolio?on October 15, 2019 at 8:05 pm
A 1.3% yield is nothing to get excited about, but investors probably think the long payment history suggests Mold-Tek Packaging has some staying power. Some simple analysis can offer a lot of insights ...
- Paint Packaging Market Is Projected To Register A Healthy CAGR Of 4.3% From 2019 To 2025 | Grand View Research, Inc.on October 15, 2019 at 9:40 am
The globalpaint packaging marketsize is expected to be valued at USD 28.4 billion by 2025 ... Comprising over 425 analysts and consultants, the company adds 1200+ market research reports to its ...
- Edible Packaging Market Segment Analysis By Material, End Use, And Region And Forecast From 2019 To 2025 : Grand View Research Inc.on October 15, 2019 at 5:18 am
Edible packaging is usually made of polysaccharides ... Comprising over 425 analysts and consultants, the company adds 1200+ market research reports to its extensive database each year. Supported by ...
- NEPC, NAFDAC blame poor packaging for rejection of Nigeria’s exportson October 12, 2019 at 4:17 pm
He went on to say that, “packaging has been in the forefront ... lacked access to necessary information and other global interactive networking tools that will otherwise position them at ...
- Imagine Owning Pro-Pac Packaging (ASX:PPG) And Trying To Stomach The 71% Share Price Dropon October 10, 2019 at 6:45 pm
That said, we think earnings and revenue growth trends are even more important factors to consider. This free interactive report on Pro-Pac Packaging's earnings, revenue and cash flow is a great place ...
- How Kraft Heinz uses NFC-based smart packaging to boost engagementon October 7, 2019 at 8:04 pm
The interactive touchpoint helps Kraft Heinz collect important customer data such as ... Back in 2017, the project involved smart shelves that opened up advisory assistants on smartphones instead of ...
- Tracking your Project from Packaging Line to Patienton October 7, 2019 at 8:14 am
The ability to access packaging services and courier/shipping services from a single provider creates ... Some clients choose to use this portal, while others prefer to use their own Interactive ...
- EnvyPak offers sustainable clear flexible packaging solutions for industryon October 5, 2019 at 11:55 pm
EnvyPak offers stock standard package sizes and made to order custom polypropylene retail display pouches, as well as a variety of film weights, textures, interactive print decoration and openings.
- Kraft Cheese Intros Interactive Packaging At Walmarton September 24, 2019 at 12:34 pm
Kraft Cheese is launching a nationwide “intelligent packaging” campaign for its products sold ... In-store shoppers can receive recipe content along with an interactive scratch-and-win game that can ...
- This new eco-friendly game packaging could save tonnes of plastic every yearon September 18, 2019 at 9:30 am
Sega and Sports Interactive have announced that Football Manager 2020 will be sold in new eco-friendly package that uses much less plastic, and they're pushing for the rest of the entertainment ...
via Bing News