Instead of reading a label, consumers could be interacting with an electronic screen on packaging in the future, thanks to a revolutionary new development by scientists at the University of Sheffield.
The scientists collaborated with technology company Novalia to create a new way of displaying information on packaging, a move that could revolutionise the packaging industry.
This technology could be used in greetings cards or products where a customer could receive a simple message. More complex developments could include a countdown timer on the side of a packet to indicate when a timed product was ready – such as hair-dye, pregnancy tests or home-baking using a ‘traffic lights’ system.
In a paper published in the IEEE Journal of Display Technology, the team explain how a screen can be fixed onto packaging to display information.
The process involves printing electronic tracks onto paper and then fixing low-cost electronics and a polymer LED display to the paper using an adhesive that conducts electricity.
Working together, University of Sheffield scientists and Novalia also designed and constructed a touch-pad keyboard on the paper that allows a user to selectively ‘drive’ the LEDs in the display.
The research has been funded by the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) and testing so far has taken place on paper but the process could potentially be printed on other surfaces.
The team’s next steps are to create fully flexible organic displays on a plastic substrate that then fix onto the electronic tracks. The LED devices need to be low-cost and flexible enough to be used on all packaging.
Professor David Lidzey from the University’s Department of Physics and Astronomy said: “Labels on packaging could become much more innovative, and allow customers to interact with and explore new products. The use of displays or light emitting panels on packaging will also allow companies to communicate brand awareness in a more sophisticated manner.”
Chris Jones from Novalia said: “The paper-based packaging industry is worth billions of dollars. This innovative system we have developed with the University of Sheffield could give manufacturers a way to gain market share by being able to distinguish its products from competitors.”
The Latest on: Interactive packaging
via Google News
The Latest on: Interactive packaging
- How cosmetics retailer Lush is making purposeful profit through circularityon May 12, 2020 at 3:41 am
By nature, cosmetics packaging is small and intricate, made up of many parts that are difficult to clean after use, resulting in the majority of this packaging going directly into landfills. Consider ...
- Vegware launches eco packaging guide for socially distanced cateringon May 12, 2020 at 3:38 am
Vegware has created a 24-page interactive guide to new packaging considerations, to help foodservice plan for new socially-distanced service models.
- Back to business: Vegware launches guide to eco packaging for socially distanced cateringon May 11, 2020 at 4:09 am
Caterers planning the return to work post-lockdown face a new set of practical challenges. Vegware has created a 24-page interactive guide to new packaging considerations, to help foodservice plan for ...
- Monadnock Paper Mills and Spectrum Packaging Corporation Partner to Produce Multi-Substrate, High-End Retail Sample Kiton May 7, 2020 at 3:23 am
Monadnock Paper Mills and Spectrum Packaging Corporation Partner to Produce Multi-Substrate, High-End Retail Sample Kit . Thursday, May 07, 2020. Press release from the issuing co ...
- Molded Pulp Packaging Market is likely to surpass $4.3 billion by 2026, Says Global Market Insights Inc.on May 4, 2020 at 4:10 pm
As per the report published by Global Market Insights Inc., the global Molded Pulp Packaging Market Size is expected to exceed $4.3.
- Why it's taking longer for food to reach stores during coronavirus pandemicon April 23, 2020 at 3:53 pm
The coronavirus pandemic has put a strain on grocery stores, but the secretary of the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture said empty shelves do not mean food is in short supply.Before the ...
- Interactive Packaging Market Size 2020 Market Research, Growth, Manufacturers, Segments and 2026 Forecasts Researchon April 22, 2020 at 8:26 pm
The key purpose of this “Interactive Packaging Market” Size report 2020 is to deliver a definite and strategic analysis of the global Packaging industry. The report evaluates every section and ...
- Land O'Lakes erases American Indian "butter maiden" from packagingon April 17, 2020 at 2:32 am
As it approaches its 100th anniversary, Lands O'Lakes is marking the occasion with a new look. Namely, it's kicking the American Indian maiden off the butter box holding its signature product.
- PaperSpecsGallery.com Presents: Interactive Hey Sister! Carton Bagon April 15, 2020 at 1:07 pm
This creative packaging design is a deceptively simple looking interactive marketing tool that highlights the power of clever design. And that, of course, is Hey Sister’s bread and butter.
- INTERACTIVE: Chems for packaging, medicals gain from confined consumers' habitson April 15, 2020 at 3:10 am
As most of the region’s citizens remain confined at home, the coronavirus pandemic has led to increased demand for many chemicals used in food packaging and medical staples. When coronavirus outbreaks ...
via Bing News