Alcohol addiction causes almost 3.8 per cent of deaths worldwide but a study led by QUT researchers offers new hope in the form of a drug already approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Neuroscientist Professor Selena Bartlett from QUT’s Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation said the drug, pindolol, is an inexpensive approach for treating alcohol dependence once the human clinical trials are conducted.
“Drugs currently used for AUDs (alcohol use disorders) – acamprosate, naltrexone and disulfiram – have limited success – so this is a ground-breaking development with enormous potential,” said Professor Bartlett who is based at the Translational Research Institute.
“In an internationally-significant breakthrough, our study showed pindolol was able to reduce ethanol/alcohol consumption, particularly in relation to binge drinking, a key behaviour observed in human alcohol dependence.”
The study has been published in Addiction Biology, the Journal of the Society for the Study of Addiction.
Researcher Omkar Patkar said the preclinical study is the first step towards fast tracking pindolol into human clinical studies as a treatment option for AUDs.
“Pindolol is an FDA-approved beta blocker already used to treat high blood pressure and angina,” said Mr Patkar.
“Data collected from our study found that pindolol diminishes ethanol intake in animal models of binge-alcohol consumption.
“More research is required but we believe the results from our study show that pindolol represents a novel, safe and ready to test treatment therapy option for managing alcohol dependence in humans.”
The Latest on: Treatment for alcohol addiction
via Google News
The Latest on: Treatment for alcohol addiction
- What Joe Biden needs to know about addiction, drug rehab and whitenesson November 28, 2020 at 4:30 pm
During a 2019 interview with the New Yorker, Hunter admitted that he struggles with alcohol, cocaine and cigarettes ... In an effort to combat drug abuse, Biden plans to invest $125 billion in ...
- Finding Hope: Steve Knuth's struggle with alcoholism led him to Valley Hope, AgWest Commoditieson November 28, 2020 at 10:50 am
When driving through Norton, Kansas, in the early 1970s as a twentysomething trucker, Steve Knuth often passed the Valley Hope addiction treatment center that had opened in 1967.
- Recovering women form group to help people with addictionon November 28, 2020 at 5:04 am
Rochelle Daigle knows too many people who died this year from an overdose. Her close friend, Kristen, died in late January. A woman she knew returned home from a birthday party to find her fiancé dead ...
- Blood Pressure Drug Benefits Patients Recovering From Alcohol Addictionon November 26, 2020 at 4:02 pm
A drug developed to treat high blood pressure has unexpected benefits for patients with severe withdrawal symptoms.
- 1000 Islands Addictions Treatment Centre Introduces Marijuana Addiction Treatmenton November 25, 2020 at 2:41 am
Islands Addictions Treatment Centre now offers a personalized holistic treatment for individuals needing a little bit of help to stop smoking marijuana. With addiction rates steadily rising throughout ...
- CJ Extra: Prevention and Resiliency Services offers community help for alcohol abuse, crime preventionon November 24, 2020 at 4:49 pm
Prevention and Resiliency Services Inc. is a nonprofit voluntary health organization trying to mitigate some of the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic and ...
- Windrose Recovery announces the opening of two new addiction treatment programs in Brookfield Wisconsinon November 23, 2020 at 10:55 am
Windrose Recovery, a family of independently owned addiction treatment programs in southeastern Wisconsin, is pleased to announce the opening of its newest programs in Brookfield, Wisconsin—Midwest ...
- Kent Desormeaux Completing In-Patient Treatment For Alcohol Abuse; Hopes To Return To The Saddle Dec. 26on November 23, 2020 at 9:49 am
Racing Form has reported that Hall of Fame jockey Kent Desormeaux is in the midst of an in-patient treatment program for alcohol abuse, and that the program is the most intensive program he has been a ...
- Program helps kids understand addiction, alcoholismon November 20, 2020 at 11:22 pm
For a child, understanding addiction and alcoholism can be difficult. Even scary. To help children cope with living in a home facing these problems, Central Nebraska Council on Alcoholism and ...
- Can memory manipulation help treat alcohol addiction?on November 19, 2020 at 12:35 pm
BU researchers were able to artificially dampen fear responses in mice and mitigate addiction-related behaviors.
via Bing News