Light of a certain wavelength can be used to put so-called active materials into motion and control their movement. In the future, this discovery can become significant in widely different areas such as environmental protection, medicine and the development of new materials which can be programmed.
Joakim Stenhammar at Lund University in Sweden led the study where he, together with colleagues from universities in Düsseldorf, Edinburgh and Cambridge, developed a model in which patterns of light control the movement of active particles. The light makes synthetically produced particles as well as microorganisms, such as bacteria and algae, spontaneously form into something that can be compared to a pump.
In previous research, this type of “pump” has been produced artificially. What’s new about this study is that it uses light to make active particles construct their own pump to move themselves around. By adjusting the light, it is possible to steer the particles in a different direction.
This is a relatively new research field, but there are many ideas for its future areas of application. Active particles can move with the help of fuel, for example sugar. One possible application is to have active particles deliver pharmaceutical substances or nanosensors to specific parts of the body. Within environmental science, the active particles could be compared to targeted robots that can locate oil spills and then release chemicals to break down any contamination.
“Our strategy has the potential of developing into an inexpensive and simple way to pump and control bacteria and other active materials”, says Joakim Stenhammar.
He finds that its greatest potential is within materials science. Using active particles to construct programmable materials can become a reality. By changing the external conditions, it may be possible to change the structure, properties and function of a material.
“Our results show how the properties of active particles can be used to design new materials that we are unable to produce today”, says Joakim Stenhammar.
Learn more: Light helps develop programmable materials
The Latest on: Programmable materials
via Google News
The Latest on: Programmable materials
- Tools For Schools, teacher seeks to purchase STEM materialson January 10, 2020 at 4:44 pm
says Lyons. "The materials are going to be sturdy, they'll be able to learn skills like problem solving and cooperation to work together" The Cedar Valley Tools For Schools' Program is a partnership ...
- Copper Launches New Partner Program and Hires Olga Lykova as Global Vice President of Partnershipson January 10, 2020 at 4:25 pm
In her role, she'll lead the partner strategy and drive small business growth across the partner program focused on driving new business and adding value to existing customers through key technology ...
- Folk futurism comes to FF: Artist explores alternative materials and handcraftson January 10, 2020 at 3:23 pm
Artist Alo Osberg is in Fergus Falls this month through the Springboard for the Arts Hinge Arts Homecoming Residency program, exploring ideas about building and creating ... and those are ‘What are ...
- 18 Interior Design Software Programs to Download in 2020on January 10, 2020 at 11:03 am
The 1,800-plus downloadable materials integrate with other software applications ... Ivy Built to help design firms of all sizes, Ivy is a program that will help you manage your business more ...
- Household Hazardous Materialson January 10, 2020 at 9:43 am
One of your neighbors posted in Community Corner. Click through to read what they have to say. (The views expressed in this post are the author’s own.) ...
- Glenroy Inc. Joins Sustainable Packaging Coalition and How2Recycle Label Program to Offer Store Drop-off Recyclable Flexible Packaging Optionson January 10, 2020 at 7:25 am
and How2Recycle® label program effective January 1, 2020. The membership allows Glenroy to expand their sustainable packaging portfolio with How2Recycle ...
- Wasted Potential: The fiscal hazards facing New York City’s recycling programon January 9, 2020 at 6:24 pm
But city officials warn it endangers the viability of their recycling program. Sanitation Commissioner Kathryn Garcia testified at a legislative hearing last year that while she agrees the bill has ...
- Want to Execute Your Own Liquidity Program? 3 Reasons You Shouldn’t Go It Aloneon January 9, 2020 at 9:45 am
From Airbnb to SpaceX, there are currently 423 unicorn companies, with a cumulative valuation of $1.32 billion. 1 Less than a decade ago, many of these companies would have felt the pressure to go ...
- Artists sought for residence program at Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Parkon January 9, 2020 at 8:33 am
The program is open to all art forms except those that may be inconsistent with the mission of the park. Applications for the 2020 spring, summer and fall and 2021 winter residencies must be received ...
- New Jersey American Water Announces Tenth Annual First Responder Grant Programon January 8, 2020 at 12:25 pm
This program is just one way we say thank you to ... vehicle maintenance and other materials that will be used to support volunteer firefighter and emergency responder operations.
via Bing News