Bees find nectar and tell their hive-mates; flies evade the swatter; and cockroaches seem to do whatever they like wherever they like. But who would believe that insects are conscious, that they are aware of what’s going on, not just little biobots?
Neuroscientists and philosophers apparently. As scientists lean increasingly toward recognizing that nonhuman animals are conscious in one way or another, the question becomes: Where does consciousness end?
Andrew B. Barron, a cognitive scientist, and Colin Klein, a philosopher, at Macquarie University in Sydney, Australia, propose in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences that insects have the capacity for consciousness.
This does not mean that a honeybee thinks, “Why am I not the queen?” or even, “Oh, I like that nectar.” But, Dr. Barron and Dr. Klein wrote in a scientific essay, the honeybee has the capacity to feel something.
Their claim stops short of some others. Christof Koch, the president and chief scientific officer of the Allen Institute for Brain Science in Seattle, and Giulio Tononi, a neuroscientist and psychiatrist at the University of Wisconsin, have proposed that consciousness is nearly ubiquitous in different degrees, and can be present even in nonliving arrangements of matter, to varying degrees.
They say that rather than wonder how consciousness arises, one should look at where we know it exists and go from there to where else it might exist.
They conclude that it is an inherent property of physical systems in which information moves around in a certain way — and that could include some kinds of artificial intelligence and even naturally occurring nonliving matter.
At the most basic level, consciousness is awareness, Dr. Barron and Dr. Klein say. A robot vacuum moves around and responds to information from the external world — when it is stopped by a wall, for instance. But the vacuum doesn’t have any experience, Dr. Klein says — it doesn’t feel like anything to be a Roomba.
The Latest on: Consciousness
via Google News
The Latest on: Consciousness
- Florida man accused of choking wife, dog until they lost consciousness on May 17, 2019 at 12:45 pm
SPRING HILL, Fla. — Pasco County sheriff’s deputies arrested a Spring Hill man accused of choking his wife and the family dog until they lost consciousness. Nathaniel Christopher Reed, 26, is charged ... […]
- Machine consciousness is 'hugely problematic,' says Ian McEwan on May 17, 2019 at 12:13 pm
Can we own a consciousness? Can we buy and operate someone else's subjective experience? These themes of Ian McEwan's novel, Machines Like Me, force us to confront our relationship with technology and ... […]
- British tourist, 51, dies after he is seen 'chest-high in the sea waving his hands for help before losing consciousness' off Spanish resort on May 16, 2019 at 9:56 pm
A British holidaymaker has died after getting into difficulties in the sea off the Costa del Sol resort of Fuengirola. The 51-year-old was helped out of the water on popular Carvajal beach, around 5pm ... […]
- Pilot lost consciousness before light aircraft crashed in Ballina on May 16, 2019 at 2:04 pm
Cockpit video evidence showed that a 59-year-old pilot was “incapacitated” when his microlight aircraft departed from straight and level flight and plunged to the ground near Ballina, Co Mayo last May ... […]
- Banire urges Muslims on time consciousness on May 16, 2019 at 12:39 pm
Former Lagos State Commissioner for Transportation, Dr Muiz Banire (SAN) has lamented lack of time consciousness among Muslims, arriving for events late just as organisers also start event behind ... […]
- 'Lost consciousness and began to have seizures': 2 Milton teens hospitalized after consuming unknown drug on May 16, 2019 at 7:50 am
Halton Regional Police are investigating a bizarre incident at a Milton home Wednesday (May 15) in which two teens were rushed to hospital with suspected overdose. Police say the two boys, aged 18, ... […]
- Kevin Morby's Serenades Are Like a Warm Breeze to Your Consciousness on May 14, 2019 at 11:29 am
Sometimes you hear a song and you’re immediately sold on an artist. And then the rest of their music proves fantastic and you fall in love. Such is the case for me and Brooklyn-based alt-folk and ... […]
- Grand theft consciousness: How quantum algorithms will backdoor human-level AI on May 13, 2019 at 2:05 pm
The Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup, as the legend goes, was invented when two oblivious young people walking around eating boring snacks accidentally crashed into each other on a city street. ... […]
- Let’s End the War on Unapproved States of Consciousness on May 13, 2019 at 1:55 am
On May 7, voters in Denver, Colorado narrowly approved a measure de-criminalizing “magic mushrooms” — mushrooms containing the consciousness-altering compound psilocybin. The measure, National Public ... […]
- Sol Dance Center Celebrates 10 Years With DANCESANITY: CREATIVE CONSCIOUSNESS on May 12, 2019 at 12:27 pm
Over the last ten years, Sol Dance Center has become the most diverse dance studio in Astoria, and has not only managed to survive the turnover of shops on Steinway Street but has doubled in size ... […]
via Bing News