A study reports a new parallel-computing approach based on a combination of nanotechnology and biology that can solve combinatorial problems. The approach is scalable, error-tolerant, energy-efficient and can be implemented with existing technologies.
The pioneering achievement, published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences,was developed by researchers from the Technische Universita?t Dresden and the Max Planck Institute of Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics, Dresden in collaboration with international partners from Canada, England, Sweden, the US, and the Netherlands.
Conventional electronic computers have led to remarkable technological advances in the past decades, but their sequential nature — they process only one computational task at a time — prevents them from solving problems of combinatorial nature, such as protein design and folding, and optimal network routing. This is because the number of calculations required to solve such problems grows exponentially with the size of the problem, rendering them intractable with sequential computing. Parallel computing approaches can, in principle, tackle such problems, but the approaches developed so far have suffered from drawbacks that have made up-scaling and practical implementation very difficult. The recently reported parallel computing approach aims to address these issues by combining well-established nanofabrication technology with molecular motors that are highly energy efficient and inherently work in parallel.
Importantly, the approach is fully scalable with existing technologies and uses orders of magnitude less energy than conventional computers, thus circumventing the heating issues that are currently limiting the performance of conventional computing.
The Latest on: Parallel computer
via Google News
The Latest on: Parallel computer
- Global High Performance Computing (HPC) Market Forecast, 2019-2024on December 6, 2019 at 4:27 pm
High Performance Computing (HPC) refers to high speed computation, which may be provided via a supercomputer or via parallel processing techniques such as leveraging clusters of computers to aggregate ...
- Time- and space-parallel simulation of air traffic networkson December 3, 2019 at 9:32 am
Computer simulations are widely used to design and evaluate air traffic systems. A fast time simulation capability is essential to effectively explore the consequences of decisions in airspace design, ...
- Saturn Cloud Dask: A Python-native parallel computing framework for scalable data scienceon December 2, 2019 at 6:37 pm
Saturn Cloud, a provider of data science tools, announced it has launched the first-ever commercial offering of Dask, a Python-native parallel computing framework for scalable data science. This comes ...
- The Computer Don't like the Way You Talkon December 1, 2019 at 12:00 pm
Computers today don't like that. Computers like input 'x' and output a new variable that is 123. They are multi-core machines. Multithreading is not just about parallel processing, it's about ...
- Saturn Cloud Inc. Launches Breakthrough Parallel Computing Technology to Accelerate Big Data Analyticson November 29, 2019 at 8:58 am
Saturn Cloud's Python-native parallel computing product is released one month after closing $4 million seed round NEW YORK, Nov. 29, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Saturn Cloud, a provider of data science tools ...
- Parallel Data Lab Receives Computing Cluster from Los Alamos National Labon November 26, 2019 at 1:59 pm
has received a supercomputer from Los Alamos National Lab (LANL) that will be reconstructed into a computing cluster operated by the Parallel Data Lab (PDL) and housed in the Data Center Observatory.
- Linux 5.5 To Perform Late CPU Microcode Updates In Parallelon November 25, 2019 at 5:20 am
Months ago we reported on vendors and cloud providers being interested in restoring parallel CPU microcode updates on Linux for helping large core count servers. With Linux 5.5 that change is coming..
- Roll-Kraft Ltd. Adds Computer Numerical Control Machineon November 21, 2019 at 8:00 pm
Nov. 22, 2019 /PRNewswire-PRWeb/ -- Roll-Kraft Ltd. has purchased and installed a new Computer Numerical Control Machine ... tube and pipe and various roll formed shapes. It is the parallel facility ...
- Team from Scalable Parallel Computing Laboratory wins ACM Gordon Bell Prizeon November 20, 2019 at 4:00 pm
The team consists of Alexandros Nikolaos Ziogas, Dr. Tal Ben Nun, Timo Schneider and Prof. Torsten Hoefler from the Scalable Parallel Computing Laboratory at the Department of Computer Science, as ...
- Parallel Computer Organization and Designon November 18, 2019 at 11:03 am
Verma, Aishwarya Jain, Karan Mehra, Anu and Gaur, Nidhi 2016. Design and implementation of 64 bit VLIW microprocessor on 20nm and 28nm technologies. p. 213.
via Bing News