Scientists have demonstrated a method for generating several key types of eye tissue from human stem cells in a way that mirrors whole eye development.
When transplanted to an animal model of corneal blindness, these tissues are shown to repair the front of the eye and restore vision, which scientists say could pave the way for human clinical trials of anterior eye transplantation to restore lost or damaged vision.
A collaborative team comprising researchers from Cardiff University and Osaka University in Japan describe their findings today (embargo: 18:00GMT, 09 March, 2016) in Nature.
The eye is composed of highly specialized tissues that are derived from a variety of cell lineages during development.
Previous studies have demonstrated that particular cell types, such as those that constitute the retina or cornea, can be created in the laboratory from pluripotent stem cells. However, these studies do not represent the complexity of whole eye development.
This latest study reports the generation of multiple cell lineages of the eye, including the lens, cornea, and conjunctiva, using human induced pluripotent stem cells.
The scientists have been able to show that the corneal epithelial cells can be cultivated and transplanted onto the eyes of rabbits with experimentally induced blindness to surgically repair the front of the eye.
Study co-author, Professor Andrew Quantock, said: “This research shows that various types of human stem cells are able to take on the characteristics of the cornea, lens and retina.
“Importantly, it demonstrates that one cell type – the corneal epithelium – could be further grown in the lab and then transplanted on to a rabbit’s eye where it was functional, achieving recovered vision.
“Our work not only holds potential for developing cells for treatment of other areas of the eye, but could set the stage for future human clinical trials of anterior eye transplantation to restore visual function.”
The Latest on: Stem cell transplantation
via Google News
The Latest on: Stem cell transplantation
- Stem Cell Banking Market: Opportunities and Challengeson October 13, 2019 at 8:26 pm
increase in hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT) procedures; and increasing investments in stem cell-based research are driving the growth of the stem cell banking market. The globalstem ...
- Jazz Starts CAR T-cell Linked Neurotoxicity Study Enrollmenton October 11, 2019 at 6:28 pm
Jazz commercializes defibrotide under the trade name of Defitelio for treating hepatic veno-occlusive disease with renal or pulmonary dysfunction following hematopoietic stem-cell transplantation ...
- Column: After going ‘through hell and back,’ 11-year-old boy is saved by his little sister’s stem cellson October 11, 2019 at 9:27 am
But there was also a glimmer of hope: XLP-2 — this extremely rare condition wreaking havoc on their little boy for the past six years — could possibly be cured with a stem cell transplant. “Cured” ...
- Viagra might help make stem cell transplants easieron October 10, 2019 at 3:01 pm
If the strategy proves effective and equally quick-acting in humans, it could have significant implications for stem cell donation and transplant, he says. “It may certainly make it easier to get stem ...
- Viagra May Enhance Stem Cell Treatments For Leukemiaon October 10, 2019 at 8:02 am
One of the most well-known uses for blood stem cell transplants is to treat blood cancers like leukemia, but they are actually used to treat dozens of different conditions. Sometimes, patients donate ...
- Integrating Nonpharmacologic Treatment Options for Sickle Cell Diseaseon October 9, 2019 at 6:34 am
Experts review nonpharmacologic approaches to treating sickle cell disease, including blood transfusions and stem cell transplantation. Neil B. Minkoff, MD: There are nonpharmacologic treatments as ...
- Stem cell transplant reverses disabling MS-like diseaseon October 8, 2019 at 4:51 am
A stem cell transplant reversed a debilitating neurological disease that causes half of the patients to go blind and lose the ability to walk five years after diagnosis. Most of the patients stayed ...
- Human mesenchymal stem cell sheets in xeno-free media for possible allogenic applicationson October 8, 2019 at 4:27 am
At 10 days post-transplantation, hUC-MSC sheets remain on ectopic target tissue sites and exhibit ... To qualify the cell source, hUC-MSC differentiation potential and stem cell phenotype were ...
- Stem cell studies offer hope for childhood neurological conditionon October 3, 2019 at 8:02 am
"Together these studies advance the field of stem cell medicine by showing how a drug therapy could benefit myelination and also that neural stem cell transplantation directly into the brains of boys ...
- Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation for children with acute myeloid leukemia—results of the AML SCT-BFM 2007 trialon October 2, 2019 at 11:25 am
AML SCT-BFM 2007 was the first hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HCT) trial in Germany to comply with the European Clinical Trials Directive, and aimed to standardize pediatric HCT for acute ...
via Bing News