A new type of graphene-based filter could be the key to managing the global water crisis, a study has revealed. The new graphene filter, which has been developed by Monash University and the University of Kentucky, allows water and other liquids to be filtered nine times faster than the current leading commercial filter.
According to the World Economic Forum’s Global Risks Report, lack of access to safe, clean water is the biggest risk to society over the coming decade. Yet some of these risks could be mitigated by the development of this filter, which is so strong and stable that it can be used for extended periods in the harshest corrosive environments, and with less maintenance than other filters on the market.
The research team was led by Associate Professor Mainak Majumder from Monash University. Associate Professor Majumder said the key to making their filter was developing a viscous form of graphene oxide that could be spread very thinly with a blade.
“This technique creates a uniform arrangement in the graphene, and that evenness gives our filter special properties,” Associate Prof Majumder said.
This technique allows the filters to be produced much faster and in larger sizes, which is critical for developing commercial applications. The graphene-based filter could be used to filter chemicals, viruses, or bacteria from a range of liquids. It could be used to purify water, dairy products or wine, or in the production of pharmaceuticals.
This is the first time that a graphene filter has been able to be produced on an industrial scale – a problem that has plagued the scientific community for years.
The Latest on: Graphene filter
via Google News
The Latest on: Graphene filter
- Scientists are racing to design a face mask that can rip coronavirus aparton May 12, 2020 at 3:00 am
Copper, graphene, and chemicals found in cleaning products are all contenders in the hunt for a self-sanitizing mask that can destroy the SARS-CoV-2 virus.
- World Carbon Nanomaterials Market 2020-2030: In-depth Assessment of Carbon Nanomaterials Producer and Distributor Pricing in 2020on May 11, 2020 at 4:34 pm
Carbon Nanotubes, Graphene, Fullerenes, Carbon and Graphene Quantum Dots and Nanodiamonds" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering.
- The Global Market for Carbon Nanomaterials 2020: Carbon Nanotubes, Graphene, Fullerenes, Carbon and Graphene Quantum Dots and Nanodiamondson May 7, 2020 at 5:15 am
The "The Global Market for Carbon Nanomaterials 2020: Carbon Nanotubes, Graphene, Fullerenes, Carbon and Graphene Quantum Dots and Nanodiamonds" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's ...
- Northwestern Ontario graphite project could provide bio-medical additive that kills viruseson May 5, 2020 at 2:00 pm
A technology company with a northwestern Ontario graphite deposit is developing a bio-medical solution that may provide an extra barrier of protection for frontline health-care workers against ...
- Israeli researchers working on self-sterilizing facemaskson May 3, 2020 at 10:26 pm
Taking a cue from water filtration technologies, scientists are now applying them to face masks and heating, ventilation and air-conditioning systems.
- Graphene Solutions and Graphene Composites Collaborate on Graphene Ink on Fabrics for Coronavirus Protectionon May 3, 2020 at 10:09 pm
Graphene Solutions has announced an international collaboration with UK-based Graphene Composites to fight COVID-19 by developing a potential virucidal graphene-based composite ink that can be applied ...
- Outlook on the Worldwide Graphene Industry to 2025 - Key Driving Factors and Challengeson April 24, 2020 at 5:38 am
Research and Markets also offers Custom Research services providing focused, comprehensive and tailored research. CONTACT: ResearchAndMarkets.com Laura Wood, Senior Press Manager [email protected] ...
- Reliable One Resources Forms Quantum Filtration to Market New Graphene Based Surgical Maskon April 21, 2020 at 9:53 am
The filter, which is comprised on a patent-pending and proprietary graphene membrane between polypropylene fabric, has an average pore size of 0.0025 microns. Independent testing has shown that the ...
- Reliable One Resources Forms Quantum Filtration to Market New Graphene Based Surgical Maskon April 21, 2020 at 9:51 am
The filter, which is comprised on a patent-pending and proprietary graphene membrane between polypropylene fabric, has an average pore size of 0.0025 microns. Independent testing has shown that ...
- BGU researchers develop new type of self-sterilizing air filteron April 19, 2020 at 5:00 pm
The new nanotechnology is based on laser-induced graphene (LIG) water filters that eliminate viruses and bacteria in water. This new concept, engineered for air-filtration could be used in air ...
via Bing News