Current terahertz sources are large, multi-component systems that sometimes require complex vacuum systems, external pump lasers, and even cryogenic cooling. The unwieldy devices are heavy, expensive, and hard to transport, operate, and maintain.
Now Northwestern Engineering’s Manijeh Razeghi has developed a new type of security detection device that bypasses these issues. With the ability to detect explosives, chemical agents, and dangerous biological substances from safe distances, the device could make public spaces more secure than ever.
“A single-component solution capable of room temperature continuous wave and widely frequency tunable operation is highly desirable to enable next generation terahertz systems,” said Razeghi, Walter P. Murphy Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science in Northwestern’s MCormick School of Engineering.
Director of Northwestern’s Center for Quantum Devices, Razeghi and her team have demonstrated a room temperature continuous wave, highly tunable, high-power terahertz source. Based on nonlinear mixing in quantum cascade lasers, the source can emit up to multi-milliwatts of power and has a wide frequency coverage of one-to-five terahertz in pulsed mode operation.
Funded by the National Science Foundation, Department of Homeland Security, Naval Air Systems Command, and NASA, the research was published on March 25 in Nature Scientific Reports. This new research builds on Razeghi group’s many years of research with Northwestern’s Center for Quantum Devices, including the development of the first single mode room temperature terahertz laser in 2011.
“I am very excited about these results,” Razeghi said. “No one would believe any of this was possible, even a couple years ago. This initial demonstration was very exciting, and continuing developing will lead us to the new frontier of terahertz technology.”
The Latest on: Terahertz source
via Google News
The Latest on: Terahertz source
- Global Terahertz Technology Market Forecast to 2027 - COVID-19 Impact and Analysis - ResearchAndMarkets.comon June 25, 2020 at 6:33 am
The "Terahertz Technology Market Forecast to 2027 - COVID-19 Impact and Global Analysis by Component; Type; and Application" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The terahertz ...
- Terahertz Technology Market by Size, Growth, Opportunity and Forecast to 2027on June 24, 2020 at 10:44 pm
Selbyville, Delaware Market Study Report adds Global Terahertz Technology report that gives meticulous investigation of current scenario of the market size, share, demand, growth, trends, companies ...
- A structural light switch for magnetismon June 23, 2020 at 1:47 am
Scientists have managed to drive a prototypical antiferromagnet into a new magnetic state using terahertz frequency light.
- Can metallic metasurfaces be used for terahertz nanofilm sensing?on June 17, 2020 at 10:04 am
However, the metallic metasurfaces are unavoidable to suffer serious obstacles like material loss and joule heating, resulting a relatively low Q-factor which is a challenge for terahertz (THz) ...
- Distributed-feedback method promises multi-watt terahertz laserson June 15, 2020 at 9:57 am
In recent years, terahertz lasers have been the focus of intense study due to their ability to penetrate packaging or other surrounding materials to detect chemicals of interest or imaging biological ...
- Doing more with terahertz: Simplifying near-infrared spectroscopy systemson June 8, 2020 at 10:46 am
Although this method offers many advantages over others in the terahertz range ... two independent stable lasers as the radiation sources. Now, researchers from Tokushima University, Japan ...
- Terahertz Technology Market Forecast to 2027 - COVID-19 Impact and Global Analysis by Component ; Type ; and Applicationon June 5, 2020 at 7:15 am
NEW YORK, June 5, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- The terahertz range falls between the microwave and infrared ranges of the electromagnetic spectrum, which comprises the frequency of one million ...
- Terahertz Technology Market Forecast to 2027 - COVID-19 Impact and Global Analysis by Component ; Type ; and Applicationon June 5, 2020 at 7:10 am
NEW YORK, June 5, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- The terahertz range falls between the microwave and infrared ranges of the electromagnetic spectrum, which comprises the frequency of one million oscillations ...
- Terahertz Technology Market Forecast to 2027 - COVID-19 Impact and Global Analysis by Component ; Type ; and Applicationon June 5, 2020 at 3:10 am
The terahertz technology market is segmented on the basis of component, type, and application. Based on component, the terahertz technology market is segmented into terahertz sources and terahertz ...
via Bing News