As autonomous cars move closer to the showroom, it’s clear that they’ll be more than just conventional vehicles minus the driver. It means rethinking every major system down to the tires.
At the 86th Geneva International Motor show, Goodyear has taken the wraps off two concept tires designed for the autonomous cars of tomorrow – including a spherical tire that allow cars to drive sideways and one that can sense road conditions and adapt to them.
New technologies present new problems – and new opportunities. This is particularly true of something as complicated as an autonomous car, which is as much a robot as it is a form of transportation. New sensors, algorithms, and control systems need developing, and this also opens the door for some lateral thinking.
In this vein, Goodyear’s two new concepts start with the need to create new tires suitable for autonomous cars … and then run with it.
Meanwhile, the Intelligrip is a more realistic concept sporting idea that is already under consideration by car manufacturers. Looking more like a conventional tire, it communicates with the autonomous vehicle’s control system and assesses road surface and weather conditions using advanced sensors. It also monitors the wear on the tire and vehicle as well as tire pressure and temperature.
The Latest on: Intelligent tires
via Google News
The Latest on: Intelligent tires
- From pickups to iPads, Big Iron embraces the newon December 1, 2019 at 6:02 am
WEST FARGO - If you're one of those people who like to kick the tires before buying something, there are lots of tires to kick at ... wireless air-seeding monitoring system made by Fargo-based ...
- Technology: Tire makers can ‘edge’ ahead in data analyticson November 24, 2019 at 11:00 pm
London – Tire makers should look to a new scalable approach to data analysis to overcome ... he notes that major players have adopted smarter plant-floor technologies and are effectively collecting ...
- Pirelli's new Cyber Tire features 5G connectivity for communicating road conditionson November 20, 2019 at 5:34 am
Pirelli's 'intelligent' tire could eventually become part of this ecosystem of active and passive safety technologies to aid autonomous systems of the present and future. The company partnered with ...
- Technology: Pirelli develops 5G interacting tireson November 20, 2019 at 1:01 am
Turin, Italy - Pirelli & C. SpA has claimed a world-first with the development of intelligent tires capable of detecting and transmitting information about road surface conditions via the 5G network.
- We Wish You a Merry Christmas Liston November 19, 2019 at 11:52 pm
Tonal is the world’s most technologically intelligent home gym and personal trainer that combines expert coaching ... For 2020, all Scout Bobbers will receive new Pirelli® MT60RS tires, as well as ...
- Pirelli Develops Tires to Interact with 5G Networkon November 19, 2019 at 10:57 am
Pirelli says it is the first tire company in the world to transmit information detected by intelligent tires regarding the road surface via the 5G network. The company presented the “World-first 5G ...
- Pirelli Develops Tires That Interact With The 5G Networkon November 19, 2019 at 5:41 am
Pirelli can now transmit information detected by intelligent tires regarding the road surface via the 5G network. The company presented the “World-first 5G enhanced ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance ...
- Pirelli's 5G tire warns other vehicles about dangerous road conditionson November 19, 2019 at 5:01 am
Tire manufacturer Pirelli is bringing its own approach to connected car technology, debuting what it's describing as the worlds first intelligent tires that transmit data via 5G. The Cyber Tire system ...
- Continental Broadens Intelligent Steer Tire Portfolio Including Conti HSC 3 Construction Tireon November 11, 2019 at 7:31 am
Continental offers a wide portfolio of intelligent-capable steer tires, which can be ordered pre-equipped with Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) sensors from the factory. Steer tires are ...
- Goodyear & Priva Piloting Intelligent Tires with Fleetson November 4, 2019 at 10:32 pm
Priva is a Michigan-based startup that provides mobile offices for workers on the go. Goodyear has equipped Priva’s fleet of vehicles with intelligent tires, which contain sensors to capture tire data ...
via Bing News