Researchers develop highly efficient, solution-processed fluorescence organic light-emitting diodes using “Pure-organic” emitters
A team led by Prof. Tae-Woo Lee (Dept. of Materials Science and Engineering) at POSTECH have fabricated highly-efficient, solution-processed fluorescence organic light-emitting diodes (OLEDs) using pure-organic thermally-activated delayed-fluorescence (TADF) emitters. The research was published in Advanced Materials journal. This research is selected as a most significant paper and open to the public as a “Layman’s abstract”.
Conventional OLEDs use the phosphorescent emitters which have shown high internal quantum efficiency (IQE) of nearly 100%. However, they should incorporate precious heavy metals such as iridium and platinum into phosphorescent metal-complexes; these limit their commercialization. In order to overcome these disadvantages, the research team uses pure-organic TADF emitters which can show a very high IQE of nearly 100% without precious metals. Furthermore, TADF emitters have advantages of easy synthesis using pure-organic molecules and versatile molecular design, thus, reduce the synthesis cost.
They also introduced the inexpensive, simple solution-process to fabricate the TADF-OLEDs by solving fundamental problems which limit the high efficiency in solution processed TADF-OLEDs. A multi-functional buffer hole injection layer (Buf-HIL) that can increase the hole injection capability to the emitting layer (EML) due to its high work function, and also improve the luminescence efficiency of TADF-OLEDs by preventing exciton quenching at the HIL/EML interface was employed. Furthermore, new polar aprotic solvent improved the device efficiency by improving the solubility of pure-organic TADF emitters, reducing the surface roughness and the aggregation of dopants, and managing the exciton quenching in the emitting layer.
This improvement in solution processed TADF-OLEDs will remedy the disadvantages of a complex and expensive vacuum-deposition process and thus lower the production cost of the devices. It is of prime importance to reduce the production cost of the devices from the perspective of industrial mass-production of OLED displays and solid-state lightings.
Prof. Tae-Woo Lee mentioned, “This technology is a big leap toward the development of inexpensive and solution-processed OLED displays and solid-state lightings because this method uses only low-cost pure-organic molecules and simple solution process to realize the extremely high efficiency solution-processed OLEDs.”
The Latest on: OLED displays
via Google News
The Latest on: OLED displays
- What We Know: iPhone 12 Specs and Prices Are Taking Shape (OLED and More)on May 12, 2020 at 9:50 am
Apple fans have indeed been clamoring for a 5G device to fully enjoy what this exciting next-gen network can bring. Many major U.S. cities already have 5G networks, but the areas that receive such sig ...
- Samsung Galaxy Note 20, Note 20+ may feature 120Hz ‘True Dynamic’ OLED displayson May 12, 2020 at 7:42 am
The latest rumour suggests the series to feature 120Hz ‘True variable’ refresh rate in WQHD resolution panels, something we haven’t seen ever in a smartphone.
- Universal Display Corporation Announces Participation at Upcoming Investor Conferenceon May 11, 2020 at 1:29 pm
Universal Display Corporation announces participation in the Cowen and Company Virtual 2020 Technology, Media & Telecom Conference on May 28, 2020.
- Here's How Universal Display Crushed It in Q1on May 9, 2020 at 10:17 am
The next quarter will be more difficult as the OLED expert's customers moved their orders around the calendar due to coronavirus worries.
- Universal Display Corp (OLED) Q1 2020 Earnings Call Transcripton May 8, 2020 at 12:16 am
Q1 2020 Earnings Call May 7, 2020, 5:00 p.m. ET. Contents: Prepared Remarks; Questions and Answers; Call Parti ...
- Universal Display Corporation's (OLED) CEO Steve Abramson on Q1 2020 Results - Earnings Call Transcripton May 7, 2020 at 7:48 pm
OLED) Q1 2020 Earnings Conference Call May 7, 2020, 05:00 PM ET Company Participants Darice Liu - Director of IR Steve Abr ...
- Wuhan China Star Optoelectronics Semiconductor Display Technology Co., Ltd. and Universal Display Corporation Enter into Long-Term OLED Agreementson May 7, 2020 at 1:10 pm
Wuhan China Star Optoelectronics Semiconductor Display Technology Co., Ltd. and Universal Display Corporation Enter into Long-Term OLED Agreements ...
- Sony's breathtaking Bravia A8H OLED TV is surprisingly affordableon May 7, 2020 at 8:51 am
The Sony Bravia A8H OLED TV hitting stores today, bringing us one of the most anticipated 4K smart TVs of the year. The top-of-the-line Android TV boasts a gorgeous OLED panel, Sony's powerful X1 ...
- Is a Surprise Coming for Universal Display (OLED) This Earnings Season?on May 7, 2020 at 8:16 am
Universal Display (OLED) is seeing favorable earnings estimate revision activity and has a positive Zacks Earnings ESP heading into earnings season.
- Global LED, Backlit LCD and OLED Wearable Display Market (2018 to 2026) - COVID-19 has had a Negative Impact on the Industry - ResearchAndMarkets.comon May 6, 2020 at 7:01 am
The "LED, Backlit LCD and OLED Wearable Display Market Size Analysis and Outlook to 2026 - Potential Opportunities, Companies and Forecasts for display technology and panel type across End User ...
via Bing News