A new virtual gold rush is underway.
Even as Bitcoin, riven by internal divisions, has struggled, a rival virtual currency — known as Ethereum — has soared in value, climbing 1,000 percent over the last three months.
Beyond the price spike, Ethereum is also attracting attention from giants in finance and technology, like JPMorgan Chase, Microsoft and IBM, which have described it as a sort of Bitcoin 2.0.
The rise of the relatively new virtual currency has been helped by a battle within the Bitcoin community over how the basic Bitcoin software should develop.
The fights have slowed down Bitcoin transactions and led some people to look for alternative virtual currencies to power their businesses. Enter Ethereum.
Like Bitcoin, the Ethereum system is built on a blockchain in which every transaction is recorded publicly. The promise of such a system is that it allows the exchange of money and assets more quickly and more cheaply than relying on a long chain of middlemen.
But Ethereum has also won fans with its promise to do much more than Bitcoin. In addition to the virtual currency, the software provides a way to create online markets and programmable transactions known as smart contracts.
The system is complicated enough that even people who know it well have trouble describing it in plain English. But one application in development would let farmers put their produce up for sale directly to consumers and take payment directly from consumers. There are already dozens of functioning applications built on Ethereum, enabling new ways to manage and pay for electricity, sports bets and even Ponzi schemes.
All of this work is still very early. The first full public version of the Ethereum software was recently released, and the system could face some of the same technical and legal problems that have tarnished Bitcoin.
Many Bitcoin advocates say Ethereum will face more security problems than Bitcoin because of the greater complexity of the software.
The Latest on: Ethereum
via Google News
The Latest on: Ethereum
- Ethereum Price Analysis: ETH/USD trends near the upper curve of the 20-day Bollinger bandon June 3, 2020 at 6:16 pm
ETH/USD bulls stage a comeback following Tuesday’s negative price action. The MACD shows increasing bullish momentum. William’s %R is hovering within the overbought zone, hint ...
- Federal Reserve Endorses Ethereum-Backed Alternative To Liboron June 3, 2020 at 2:48 pm
Federal Reserve Board Chairman Jerome H. Powell has provided a statement regarding the suitability of AMERIBOR as a replacement to LIBOR.
- Ethereum Price Analysis: ETH/USD remains on its way to $260 – Confluence Detectoron June 3, 2020 at 11:21 am
Ethereum has recovered from the massive drop on June 2 and it’s trading at $239 at the time of writing. What are the most important levels for ETH/USD now? The Technical Confluences Indicator is ...
- Matic Launches Mainnet Aiming to Bring More ‘Firepower’ to Ethereumon June 3, 2020 at 5:16 am
Matic, a sidechain scaling solution for Ethereum, has deployed the first 10 nodes of its mainnet after several years in development.
- Ethereum May Dive 35% as Price Sees Rejection at Crucial Resistance Level: Analyston June 3, 2020 at 5:00 am
After attempting a breakout on June 1st, Ethereum saw a brutal rejection on June 2nd that saw it fail to decisively pass the $250 price resistance. Like ...
- Ethereum Price To Surge Past $300 By End Of June, Analyst Predictson June 3, 2020 at 4:20 am
The market rally may have ended for now, but Ethereum's DeFi ecosystem and upcoming Proof-of-Stake transition continue to affect price sentiment.
- Hard Fork Sets Stage for Ethereum Classic’s Second Major Departure From Ethereumon June 3, 2020 at 3:07 am
Ethereum Classic has largely followed Ethereum in lockstep. But as the larger chain goes toward Proof-of-Stake, ETC is sticking with Proof-of-Work.
- Grayscale’s Ethereum Trust Offering ETH at 700% Premiumon June 3, 2020 at 2:27 am
Grayscale Investments is now selling ETH at a premium of 700%, according to the latest data shared by the asset management firm.
- Bitcoin, Ethereum Classic & Ripple - American Wrapon June 1, 2020 at 10:32 am
BTC/USD gets ready for a powerful breakthrough - Confluence DetectorBitcoin (BTC) is sitting in a tight range between $9,800 and $9,400 since the start of the week. At the time of writing, BTC/USD is ...
- Tether stablecoin launches on OMG Network as Ethereum is ‘vulnerable to severe network congestion’on June 1, 2020 at 5:49 am
Tether (USDT), the largest stablecoin by market capitalization, has been integrated into the OMG Network.The post Tether stablecoin launches on OMG Network as Ethereum is 'vulnerable to severe network ...
via Bing News