A new virtual gold rush is underway.
Even as Bitcoin, riven by internal divisions, has struggled, a rival virtual currency — known as Ethereum — has soared in value, climbing 1,000 percent over the last three months.
Beyond the price spike, Ethereum is also attracting attention from giants in finance and technology, like JPMorgan Chase, Microsoft and IBM, which have described it as a sort of Bitcoin 2.0.
The rise of the relatively new virtual currency has been helped by a battle within the Bitcoin community over how the basic Bitcoin software should develop.
The fights have slowed down Bitcoin transactions and led some people to look for alternative virtual currencies to power their businesses. Enter Ethereum.
Like Bitcoin, the Ethereum system is built on a blockchain in which every transaction is recorded publicly. The promise of such a system is that it allows the exchange of money and assets more quickly and more cheaply than relying on a long chain of middlemen.
But Ethereum has also won fans with its promise to do much more than Bitcoin. In addition to the virtual currency, the software provides a way to create online markets and programmable transactions known as smart contracts.
The system is complicated enough that even people who know it well have trouble describing it in plain English. But one application in development would let farmers put their produce up for sale directly to consumers and take payment directly from consumers. There are already dozens of functioning applications built on Ethereum, enabling new ways to manage and pay for electricity, sports bets and even Ponzi schemes.
All of this work is still very early. The first full public version of the Ethereum software was recently released, and the system could face some of the same technical and legal problems that have tarnished Bitcoin.
Many Bitcoin advocates say Ethereum will face more security problems than Bitcoin because of the greater complexity of the software.
The Latest on: Ethereum
via Google News
The Latest on: Ethereum
- Nimbus Receives Ethereum Foundation Grant to Work on Light 2.0 Clienton January 28, 2020 at 6:54 am
Nimbus received a $650,000 grant from Ethereum Foundation to realize its vision of light Ethereum 2.0 clients running on smartphones and Raspberry Pi devices. The Ethereum Foundation awarded a ...
- Ethereum Price Analysis: ETH/USD heading for a critical retest of last week’s high areaon January 28, 2020 at 6:43 am
- ETH 2.0 client Nimbus receives another $650K from the Ethereum Foundationon January 28, 2020 at 6:16 am
Ethereum infrastructure project Nimbus has received a $650,000 grant from the Ethereum Foundation to continue its work on Ethereum 2.0, the next major update to the protocol. Founded in 2018 by The ...
- Ethereum Price May Surge 100%: Analyst Explains Why This Will Happen Soonon January 28, 2020 at 4:44 am
is on a three-day rally and has finally gotten over the $8,800 hump, managing to trade above $9,000 at least before falling back under it as of press time. Similarly, altcoin Ethereum (ETH) is also ...
- Ethereum Price Analysis: ETH needs another catalyst to continue gainson January 28, 2020 at 3:17 am
ETH on the verge of the massive rally, analysts predict. The initial technical barrier is created by a psychological barrier of $200.00. Ethereum (ETH) has been gaining ground for three days in a row.
- Refundo Announces IRS and State Income Tax Refunds in Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum, and Rippleon January 28, 2020 at 3:00 am
Beginning today, Refundo is introducing support for Bitcoin Cash (BCH), Ethereum (ETC), and Ripple (XRP) as additional cryptocurrency options for receiving tax refunds. “We love new technology and ...
- Transfer Agent Vertalo Chooses Tezos Over Ethereum for Security Token Developmenton January 27, 2020 at 12:24 pm
Transfer agent Vertalo wants its customers to issue securities on the Tezos blockchain. The company has made Tezos its default blockchain, encouraging customers to switch over from ethereum. It has ...
- Tether Launches Gold-Backed Stablecoin on Ethereum & Tron Chainson January 24, 2020 at 1:54 am
According to a press release shared with Finance Magnates, the coin is available as an ERC-20 token on the Ethereum blockchain and as a TRC20 token on the TRON blockchain; each token represents ...
- Liechtenstein Regulators Approve Ethereum-Based Real Estate Fundon January 23, 2020 at 2:46 am
The fund provides exposure to a global real estate portfolio through AARGO security tokens – built on the ethereum blockchain – with each token representing one share in the fund. The fund was created ...
- Ethereum Price Could Hit $850: Analyst Explains Howon January 22, 2020 at 9:28 pm
High expectations for the crypto market this year, especially for the flagship crypto Bitcoin (BTC), have led many analysts to express the same bullishness for ETH.
via Bing News