A new virtual gold rush is underway.
Even as Bitcoin, riven by internal divisions, has struggled, a rival virtual currency — known as Ethereum — has soared in value, climbing 1,000 percent over the last three months.
Beyond the price spike, Ethereum is also attracting attention from giants in finance and technology, like JPMorgan Chase, Microsoft and IBM, which have described it as a sort of Bitcoin 2.0.
The rise of the relatively new virtual currency has been helped by a battle within the Bitcoin community over how the basic Bitcoin software should develop.
The fights have slowed down Bitcoin transactions and led some people to look for alternative virtual currencies to power their businesses. Enter Ethereum.
Like Bitcoin, the Ethereum system is built on a blockchain in which every transaction is recorded publicly. The promise of such a system is that it allows the exchange of money and assets more quickly and more cheaply than relying on a long chain of middlemen.
But Ethereum has also won fans with its promise to do much more than Bitcoin. In addition to the virtual currency, the software provides a way to create online markets and programmable transactions known as smart contracts.
The system is complicated enough that even people who know it well have trouble describing it in plain English. But one application in development would let farmers put their produce up for sale directly to consumers and take payment directly from consumers. There are already dozens of functioning applications built on Ethereum, enabling new ways to manage and pay for electricity, sports bets and even Ponzi schemes.
All of this work is still very early. The first full public version of the Ethereum software was recently released, and the system could face some of the same technical and legal problems that have tarnished Bitcoin.
Many Bitcoin advocates say Ethereum will face more security problems than Bitcoin because of the greater complexity of the software.
The Latest on: Ethereum
via Google News
The Latest on: Ethereum
- Ethereum Classic defies gravity with 17% growthon January 27, 2020 at 5:42 am
Ethereum Classic platform may become attractive for DeFi developers. ETHC/USD gains 14$ on a day-to-day basis amid improved market sentiments. Ethereum Classic, the 11th largest digital asset with the ...
- Ethereum Classic Market Update: ETC/USD 5% rally retests $10 resistance on Mondayon January 26, 2020 at 10:33 pm
- Bitcoin vs. Ethereum: Which Is a Better Buy?on January 24, 2020 at 1:49 pm
It's no surprise that investors are interested in cryptocurrencies . Bitcoin was first traded back in 2009. Back then, you could buy one of the new digital tokens for less than $0.01. Prices steadily ...
- Tether Launches Gold-Backed Stablecoin on Ethereum & Tron Chainson January 24, 2020 at 1:54 am
According to a press release shared with Finance Magnates, the coin is available as an ERC-20 token on the Ethereum blockchain and as a TRC20 token on the TRON blockchain; each token represents ...
- Liechtenstein Regulators Approve Ethereum-Based Real Estate Fundon January 23, 2020 at 2:46 am
The fund provides exposure to a global real estate portfolio through AARGO security tokens – built on the ethereum blockchain – with each token representing one share in the fund. The fund was created ...
- Ethereum Price Could Hit $850: Analyst Explains Howon January 22, 2020 at 9:28 pm
High expectations for the crypto market this year, especially for the flagship crypto Bitcoin (BTC), have led many analysts to express the same bullishness for ETH.
- Grayscale to Fund Ethereum Classic Developers for 2 More Yearson January 22, 2020 at 12:07 pm
Grayscale Investments has committed to financially supporting development of the ethereum classic (ETC) cryptocurrency for another two years. Announced Wednesday, the asset manager will continue to ...
- Shorting Ethereum before Q4 2019 would’ve been a good idea — here’s whyon January 22, 2020 at 3:42 am
Ethereum is the world’s second-largest cryptocurrency by market cap. It was created because its co-founders wanted to fulfill the need to build a platform that would enable users to write ...
- Ethereum Price Could Rally 100% To $335 If This Happenson January 20, 2020 at 4:52 pm
is also trading higher since the start of the year, albeit falling short to some predictions. Last month, some analysts forecasted that ETH would be worth $240 five days ago, but resistance at $180 ...
- New Bill In Congress Could Have Massive Impact On Bitcoin, Ethereum, And Other Cryptocurrencieson January 20, 2020 at 7:51 am
A new bill in Congress would make it much easier to use Bitcoin, Ether, and other cryptocurrencies for everyday transactions.
via Bing News