A new virtual gold rush is underway.
Even as Bitcoin, riven by internal divisions, has struggled, a rival virtual currency — known as Ethereum — has soared in value, climbing 1,000 percent over the last three months.
Beyond the price spike, Ethereum is also attracting attention from giants in finance and technology, like JPMorgan Chase, Microsoft and IBM, which have described it as a sort of Bitcoin 2.0.
The rise of the relatively new virtual currency has been helped by a battle within the Bitcoin community over how the basic Bitcoin software should develop.
The fights have slowed down Bitcoin transactions and led some people to look for alternative virtual currencies to power their businesses. Enter Ethereum.
Like Bitcoin, the Ethereum system is built on a blockchain in which every transaction is recorded publicly. The promise of such a system is that it allows the exchange of money and assets more quickly and more cheaply than relying on a long chain of middlemen.
But Ethereum has also won fans with its promise to do much more than Bitcoin. In addition to the virtual currency, the software provides a way to create online markets and programmable transactions known as smart contracts.
The system is complicated enough that even people who know it well have trouble describing it in plain English. But one application in development would let farmers put their produce up for sale directly to consumers and take payment directly from consumers. There are already dozens of functioning applications built on Ethereum, enabling new ways to manage and pay for electricity, sports bets and even Ponzi schemes.
All of this work is still very early. The first full public version of the Ethereum software was recently released, and the system could face some of the same technical and legal problems that have tarnished Bitcoin.
Many Bitcoin advocates say Ethereum will face more security problems than Bitcoin because of the greater complexity of the software.
The Latest on: Ethereum
via Google News
The Latest on: Ethereum
- Ethereum Price Analysis: ETH/USD bears drop price below SMA 20on February 25, 2020 at 3:48 pm
XRP/USD is heading for a second consecutive session in the red. The 2020 run of gains remains at risk of reversal, given critical ... Ethereum price is trading in the red by 1.70% in the session on ...
- Cryptocurrencies price prediction: Ethereum & Litecoin – European Wrap – 25 Februaryon February 25, 2020 at 9:38 am
- Ethereum Climbs Above 256.80 Level, Up 4%on February 25, 2020 at 8:15 am
Investing.com - Ethereum rose above the $256.80 threshold on Tuesday. Ethereum was trading at 256.80 by 02:40 (07:40 GMT) on the Investing.com Index, up 3.93% on the day. It was the largest one-day ...
- Bitmain’s Antminer E3 Will Allegedly Stop Ethereum Mining in 1 Month: Reporton February 24, 2020 at 8:21 pm
Once the “world's most powerful” hardware for mining Ether, Antminer E3 will allegedly stop mining the coin in about 45 days, 2Miners says. While the Ethereum network is preparing to start shifting to ...
- Unibright, Enterprise Ethereum and the EEAon February 24, 2020 at 3:35 pm
In this post we showcase why Enterprise Ethereum could be the long-awaited missing link for widespread enterprise blockchain adoption and how its goals greatly intersect with our Unibright vision, ...
- The Domain Startups Building an Uncensorable Internet on Top of Ethereumon February 21, 2020 at 5:30 am
Ethereum developers are leveraging blockchain’s censorship-resistant nature to launch the next iteration of the internet, Web 3.0. Last weekend at ETHDenver – one of the conference circuit’s top ...
- Cristiano Ronaldo Gets His Own Ethereum Token, Juventus Players To Followon February 21, 2020 at 4:53 am
Joining the trend of blockchain trading cards that was started by Panini America in December is the leading Italian professional football club Juventus.
- Italian Soccer Giant Juventus Inks Deal for Ethereum-Based Player Collectibleson February 20, 2020 at 6:00 am
Sorare, which is based in Paris, France, provides a soccer team management game with digital cards – created with ethereum tech – representing players that fans can collect and trade. The firm told ...
- Ethereum Price Aims for $300 But M-Top Could Reverse the Trendon February 19, 2020 at 2:43 pm
Ethereum bulls are still pushing for $300 but the possible formation of an M-Top threatens to thwart the current uptrend. Ethereum price looks to set a new 2020 high but the loss of momentum is ...
- Ethereum Price To Hit $500 By End Of Year, Parabolic Rally Will Continueon February 19, 2020 at 4:51 am
bump the $500 region by the end of the year? So far, the top altcoin tried to recover from the sharp two-day selloff over the weekend. But once again, the resistance level imposed by the $285-$290 ...
via Bing News