A new virtual gold rush is underway.
Even as Bitcoin, riven by internal divisions, has struggled, a rival virtual currency — known as Ethereum — has soared in value, climbing 1,000 percent over the last three months.
Beyond the price spike, Ethereum is also attracting attention from giants in finance and technology, like JPMorgan Chase, Microsoft and IBM, which have described it as a sort of Bitcoin 2.0.
The rise of the relatively new virtual currency has been helped by a battle within the Bitcoin community over how the basic Bitcoin software should develop.
The fights have slowed down Bitcoin transactions and led some people to look for alternative virtual currencies to power their businesses. Enter Ethereum.
Like Bitcoin, the Ethereum system is built on a blockchain in which every transaction is recorded publicly. The promise of such a system is that it allows the exchange of money and assets more quickly and more cheaply than relying on a long chain of middlemen.
But Ethereum has also won fans with its promise to do much more than Bitcoin. In addition to the virtual currency, the software provides a way to create online markets and programmable transactions known as smart contracts.
The system is complicated enough that even people who know it well have trouble describing it in plain English. But one application in development would let farmers put their produce up for sale directly to consumers and take payment directly from consumers. There are already dozens of functioning applications built on Ethereum, enabling new ways to manage and pay for electricity, sports bets and even Ponzi schemes.
All of this work is still very early. The first full public version of the Ethereum software was recently released, and the system could face some of the same technical and legal problems that have tarnished Bitcoin.
Many Bitcoin advocates say Ethereum will face more security problems than Bitcoin because of the greater complexity of the software.
The Latest on: Ethereum
via Google News
The Latest on: Ethereum
- Ethereum Price Analysis: ETH/USD Records over 5% Surge Within a Day; Moving past $178on September 7, 2019 at 3:44 pm
This is a good time for Ethereum holders as the coin is starting to show some signs of improvement and is likely to begin to trade above $200 very soon. The current performance of the coin in the ...
- Cryptocurrency market update: Recovery picks up steam, Ethereum adds 6%on September 7, 2019 at 2:10 pm
Major cryptocurrencies gain traction on Saturday despite a lack of fresh market drivers. Bitcoin remains on track to snap a three-week losing streak. Ethereum climbs to $180, gains more than 6%. Major ...
- Ethereum's Istanbul Hard Fork Implementation Delayed to Early Octoberon September 7, 2019 at 5:35 am
Ethereum’s testnet activation of the Istanbul hard fork has been pushed back to early October, according to the community manager of the Ethereum Foundation, Hudson Jameson. According to CoinDesk on ...
- Istanbul hard fork may lead to broken Ethereum contractson September 6, 2019 at 5:10 pm
At the August 23 Ethereum Core Devs Meeting, Martin Holst Swende was unapologetic about the ramifications of Ethereum Improvement Proposal (EIP) 1884, one of six changes being made as part of the ...
- Ethereum Picks Early October for Testnet Activation of Istanbul Hard Forkon September 6, 2019 at 11:04 am
The testnet launch of ethereum’s Istanbul system-wide upgrade has been set. “For anyone listening in who doesn’t know how this works, we pick a block number that we estimate to be around the 2nd of ...
- Ethereum at a Crossroads: Why $180 ETH Is Now Critical for the Bullson September 5, 2019 at 4:58 pm
Ethereum is at a critical point as the $160 support level becomes the battleground for the bulls and bears to determine where ETH price goes from here. Trading Ether (ETH) is rarely easy ...
- Startup Tests New Ethereum Sidechain Following Coinbase Investmenton September 5, 2019 at 4:25 pm
Offchain Labs, an enterprise-focused blockchain startup, has launched an Alpha version of its Ethereum scaling solution with new investment from Coinbase. With new investment from Coinbase ...
- Venture Capitalist Fred Wilson May Be Souring on His Love for Ethereumon September 4, 2019 at 9:54 am
(Bloomberg) -- Fred Wilson, co-founder and managing partner at Union Square Ventures, may be souring on one of his previous favorites in the digital-asset space: Ethereum. Wilson in 2017 said the ...
- Globex Launches Ethereum-based Trading Software to Power Global Network of Digital Securities Exchangeson September 4, 2019 at 6:00 am
Investors of all levels to compliantly buy and sell digital assets directly from their smartphones New York, NY, Sept. 04, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- via NEWMEDIAWIRE -- GlobexUS Holdings, Corp ...
- Ethereum market faces bearish ‘death cross’ pattern, while Bitcoin retains momentumon September 4, 2019 at 3:58 am
Ethereum, ETH the world’s second-largest cryptocurrency, is struggling to find any sense of market momentum, with its price dropping almost 50 percent since its 2019-peak of $349. To make ...
via Bing News