A computer program has beaten a master Go player 3-0 in a best-of-five competition, in what is seen as a landmark moment for artificial intelligence.
Update: The final score is now 4-1 in the best of 5 series!
Update: The score is now 3-1 as of March 13, 2016!
Google’s AlphaGo program was playing against Lee Se-dol in Seoul, in South Korea.
Mr Lee had been confident he would win before the competition started.
The Chinese board game is considered to be a much more complex challenge for a computer than chess.
“AlphaGo played consistently from beginning to the end while Lee, as he is only human, showed some mental vulnerability,” one of Lee’s former coaches, Kwon Kap-Yong, told the AFP news agency.
Mr Lee is considered a champion Go player, having won numerous professional tournaments in a long, successful career.
Go is a game of two players who take turns putting black or white stones on a 19-by-19 grid. Players win by surrounding their opponents pieces with their own.
In the first game of the series, AlphaGo triumphed by a very narrow margin – Mr Lee had led for most of the match, but AlphaGo managed to build up a strong lead in its closing stages.
After losing the second match to Deep Mind, Lee Se-dol said he was “speechless” adding that the AlphaGo machine played a “nearly perfect game”.
The two experts who provided commentary for the YouTube stream of for the third game said that it had been a complicated match to follow.
They said that Lee Se-dol had brought his “top game” but that AlphaGo had won “in great style”.
The AlphaGo system was developed by British computer company DeepMind which was bought by Google in 2014.
It has built up its expertise by studying older games and teasing out patterns of play. And, according to DeepMind chief executive Demis Hassabis, it has also spent a lot of time just playing the game.
“It played itself, different versions of itself, millions and millions of times and each time got incrementally slightly better – it learns from its mistakes,” he told the BBC before the matches started.
This virtuous circle of constant improvement meant the super computer went into the five-match series stronger than when it beat the European champion late last year.
What does this mean for artificial intelligence? Dr Noel Sharkey, AI expert
The Latest on: Artificial intelligence
via Google News
The Latest on: Artificial intelligence
- Pentagon Teams with Howard University to Steer Artificial Intelligence Center of Excellenceon November 25, 2020 at 10:00 am
The work will hone in on military-centered machine learning application development, research into trustworthy AI tech—and could help boost DoD’s talent pipeline.
- Sheremetyevo Shows How It Uses Artificial Intelligence to Effectively Plan and Execute Airport Functions and Activitieson November 25, 2020 at 9:28 am
Sergei Konyakhin, Director of the Production Modeling Department of JSC Sheremetyevo International Airport, gave a presentation at the Artificial Intelligence Systems 2020 on November 24 conference ...
- South Korea vows to invest $1B for artificial intelligenceon November 25, 2020 at 9:00 am
South Korea pledged to invest about $1 billion for artificial intelligence in semiconductor manufacturing to build on the nation's success developing computer chips to power economic growth.
- Citi Ventures is shifting from artificial intelligence to artificial enlightenmenton November 25, 2020 at 5:51 am
Vanessa Colella is Citi's chief innovation officer and leads the Citi Ventures and Citi Productivity teams. Colella spoke to Ray Wang and Vala Afshar about innovation trends and opportunities in ...
- Artificial Intelligence Insight Series Market 2020 Analysis, Dynamics, Forecast and Supply Demand 2023on November 25, 2020 at 5:09 am
The Artificial Intelligence Insight Series Market is estimated to record a significant growth throughout the forecast period. The ICT sector constitutes 4.8% of the European economy. Europe's ...
- Global Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Medical Market 2020 Opportunity Assessment, Key Drivers and Challenges, Growth Rate and Forecast to 2025on November 25, 2020 at 2:18 am
Global Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Medical Market 2020 by Company, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast ...
- Ericsson India is hiring for leadership roles in Artificial Intelligence, Data analysts and more as it prepares for the 5G eraon November 25, 2020 at 12:41 am
Ericsson, which already has almost 20,000 employees working out of India, is looking to hire for roles in Artificial Intelligence, automation and more. In an interview with Business Insider, Priyanka ...
- Artificial Intelligence in Advancement Advisory Council (AAAC) Names First Chairon November 24, 2020 at 4:19 pm
The AI in Advancement Advisory Council (AAAC), a first-of-its-kind organization committed to open discussion and evaluation about where artificial intelligence (AI) can and should impact advancement, ...
- Artificial Intelligence Enablers Seek Out Problems to Solveon November 24, 2020 at 3:49 pm
The Joint Artificial Intelligence Center began in 2018 to accelerate DOD's adoption and integration of artificial intelligence. Now, the center is pursuing a more aggressive approach, the JAIC's new ...
- A Company Called Pactum Shows The Power Of Artificial Intelligence’s Impact On Walmart And All Retailon November 23, 2020 at 2:07 pm
Retail is big and that makes it an ideal testing ground for artificial intelligence. What's being deployed in Walmart now from Pactum is a window into where artificial intelligence is going.
via Bing News