A computer program has beaten a master Go player 3-0 in a best-of-five competition, in what is seen as a landmark moment for artificial intelligence.
Update: The final score is now 4-1 in the best of 5 series!
Update: The score is now 3-1 as of March 13, 2016!
Google’s AlphaGo program was playing against Lee Se-dol in Seoul, in South Korea.
Mr Lee had been confident he would win before the competition started.
The Chinese board game is considered to be a much more complex challenge for a computer than chess.
“AlphaGo played consistently from beginning to the end while Lee, as he is only human, showed some mental vulnerability,” one of Lee’s former coaches, Kwon Kap-Yong, told the AFP news agency.
Mr Lee is considered a champion Go player, having won numerous professional tournaments in a long, successful career.
Go is a game of two players who take turns putting black or white stones on a 19-by-19 grid. Players win by surrounding their opponents pieces with their own.
In the first game of the series, AlphaGo triumphed by a very narrow margin – Mr Lee had led for most of the match, but AlphaGo managed to build up a strong lead in its closing stages.
After losing the second match to Deep Mind, Lee Se-dol said he was “speechless” adding that the AlphaGo machine played a “nearly perfect game”.
The two experts who provided commentary for the YouTube stream of for the third game said that it had been a complicated match to follow.
They said that Lee Se-dol had brought his “top game” but that AlphaGo had won “in great style”.
The AlphaGo system was developed by British computer company DeepMind which was bought by Google in 2014.
It has built up its expertise by studying older games and teasing out patterns of play. And, according to DeepMind chief executive Demis Hassabis, it has also spent a lot of time just playing the game.
“It played itself, different versions of itself, millions and millions of times and each time got incrementally slightly better – it learns from its mistakes,” he told the BBC before the matches started.
This virtuous circle of constant improvement meant the super computer went into the five-match series stronger than when it beat the European champion late last year.
What does this mean for artificial intelligence? Dr Noel Sharkey, AI expert
The Latest on: Artificial intelligence
via Google News
The Latest on: Artificial intelligence
- Parasoft Unleashes Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning to Accelerate Time to Market for the Safety-Critical Industryon May 12, 2020 at 7:35 am
Parasoft, a global leader in automated software testing for over 30 years, today announced the 2020.1 release of Parasoft C/C++test, a ...
- Artificial Intelligence Technology Solutions Secures Nine Unit Order From Real Estate Companyon May 12, 2020 at 6:20 am
Artificial Intelligence Technology Solutions, Inc. (OTCPK:AITX) is pleased to announce that Robotic Assistance Devices (RAD), its wholly owned subsidiary, has recently received a nine unit order from ...
- Artificial Intelligence Markets in IVD, 2019-2024 - Initiatives, Collaborations and Tests - ResearchAndMarkets.comon May 12, 2020 at 1:31 am
The "Artificial Intelligence Markets in IVD" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. This report examines selected AI-based initiatives, collaborations, and tests in various in ...
- Artificial Intelligence Market 2015 Share Growing Rapidly With Latest Trends, Development, Revenue, Demand And Forecast To 2025on May 12, 2020 at 12:47 am
In this report, the Global Artificial Intelligence (AI) market was valued at USD 11.71 Billion in 2016, and is projected ...
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Market Analysis by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application to 2024on May 12, 2020 at 12:45 am
The “Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Market” report entitled “Global Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Market Growth (Status and Outlook) 2019-2024”, provides analysis of the ...
- RGGI Announces New Corporate Production and Manufacturing Headquarters for its Artificial Intelligence Roboticson May 11, 2020 at 8:10 pm
ResGreen Group (OTC Pink: RGGI) CEO Parashar (Parsh) Patel announced today that he has secured 5,000 square feet of space needed to give live demonstrations to buyers of the New Autonomous Mobile ...
- Sneeze guards, artificial intelligence and more: The Mavs are discussing new measures if fans return to AACon May 11, 2020 at 5:39 pm
If the NBA resumes its 2019-20 season this summer or fall, games will likely occur without fans. But the Mavericks are still focused on the potential ...
- Novel artificial intelligence system increases the detection of prostate cancer in whole slide images of core needle biopsieson May 11, 2020 at 9:31 am
Prostate cancer (PrCa) is the second most common cancer among men in the United States. The gold standard for detecting PrCa is the examination of prostate needle core biopsies. Diagnosis can be ...
- Chips are down for artificial intelligenceon May 10, 2020 at 8:01 pm
The age of artificial intelligence (AI) was widely proclaimed in 2017 when Google’s AlphaGo program comprehensively defeated Ke Jie, world champion player of Go, the complex Chinese board game. Since ...
- Artificial Intelligence Is Driving A Silicon Renaissanceon May 10, 2020 at 12:55 pm
More innovation is happening in the semiconductor industry today than at any time since Silicon Valley's earliest days.
via Bing News