Tomorrow’s orbit today? This image shows how a large solar sail-equipped satellite could partly offset Earth’s and the Sun’s gravity with the slight but steady pressure of sunlight to hover above the Arctic or Antarctic, enabling continuous coverage of high-latitude regions for climate observation or regional communication services.
“Standard space missions employ conventional elliptical ‘Keplerian’ orbits,” comments Colin McInnes, Professor of Engineering Science at the UK’s University of Glasgow.
“However, our VisionSpace project has been investigating novel families of orbits and space systems across a broad range of sizes that could make use of additional factors such as solar radiation pressure, air drag or gravitational interactions.
“The space systems range from microscale applications such as satellite swarms and dust clouds, to mesoscale large deployable space webs and solar sails, all the way up to macroscale solutions such as asteroid capture.”
VisionSpace was a five-year project ending in 2014 to research space system engineering across the extremes of size, funded by the European Research Council.
Prof. McInnes, who oversaw the project while at the University of Strathclyde, was recently invited to ESA’s ESTEC technical centre by the Agency’s Advanced Concepts Team to highlight the project’s findings.
The ACT is tasked with peering beyond the horizon of current space projects.
Learn more: ‘POLAR-SITTING’ ORBIT
The Latest on: Advanced Concepts Team
via Google News
The Latest on: Advanced Concepts Team
- MIT, FIT collaborate on advanced fibres and techon July 20, 2019 at 8:20 pm
Team Natural Futurism presented a concept to develop a biodegradable lifestyle shoe using natural material alternatives, including bacterial cellulose and mycelium, and advanced fibre concepts to ... […]
- Britain is set to team up with Sweden to develop the combat air technology of the future.on July 19, 2019 at 2:58 am
Defence Secretary Penny Mordaunt and her Swedish counterpart Peter Hultqvist have signed the landmark agreement on a development and acquisition programme, including the development of new concepts .. ... […]
- Mahindra Racing officially welcomes Green Hills Software to the Mahindra familyon July 17, 2019 at 11:02 am
As a worldwide leader in embedded safety and security, Green Hills Software supplies its advanced software ... with the Mahindra Racing team and its technical partners to unleash vital next-generation ... […]
- ACT I Selected DC ‘Moxie’ Award Finalist for Second Straight Year; Michael Niggel Quotedon July 16, 2019 at 9:08 am
TYSONS CORNER, VA, July 16, 2019 — Advanced Concepts and Technologies International has again ... "I want to congratulate our team for enabling us to be recognized among the boldest and most ... […]
- NBA announces first-of-its kind strategic partnership with NEX Team's HomeCourt Appon July 12, 2019 at 4:54 pm
The NBA has announced a strategic partnership with NEX Team Inc., which is a leading mobile artificial ... HomeCourt's app was launched in July of 2018 and combines proven training concepts with ... […]
- NBA partners up with Next Team's Homecourt Appon July 12, 2019 at 3:36 am
Launched in July 2018, HomeCourt combines proven training concepts with advanced artificial intelligence ... Co-Founder and CEO of NEX Team. “Together, we look forward to designing innovative ... […]
- Winning team predicts mineral deposits using AIon June 27, 2019 at 10:42 pm
“The team developed a drilling exploration plan that took advantage of the overwhelming data available, while being justifiable from a geoscientific perspective. “We achieved this by integrating the ... […]
- Advanced Battery Concepts, LLC Appoints Michael Everett as Chief Operating Officeron June 18, 2019 at 7:29 am
June 18, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Advanced Battery Concepts, LLC, the world's leading expert in Bi-Polar batteries, has announced today that is has appointed Michael Everett as their Chief Operating ... […]
- Advanced Reactor Concepts Announces Leadership of Its Canadian Subsidiaryon September 25, 2018 at 1:00 am
SAINT JOHN, New Brunswick--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Advanced Reactor Concepts has announced that Norman J.D. Sawyer will become the President of its Canadian subsidiary ARC Nuclear Canada, Inc. “We are ... […]
via Bing News