Tomorrow’s orbit today? This image shows how a large solar sail-equipped satellite could partly offset Earth’s and the Sun’s gravity with the slight but steady pressure of sunlight to hover above the Arctic or Antarctic, enabling continuous coverage of high-latitude regions for climate observation or regional communication services.
“Standard space missions employ conventional elliptical ‘Keplerian’ orbits,” comments Colin McInnes, Professor of Engineering Science at the UK’s University of Glasgow.
“However, our VisionSpace project has been investigating novel families of orbits and space systems across a broad range of sizes that could make use of additional factors such as solar radiation pressure, air drag or gravitational interactions.
“The space systems range from microscale applications such as satellite swarms and dust clouds, to mesoscale large deployable space webs and solar sails, all the way up to macroscale solutions such as asteroid capture.”
VisionSpace was a five-year project ending in 2014 to research space system engineering across the extremes of size, funded by the European Research Council.
Prof. McInnes, who oversaw the project while at the University of Strathclyde, was recently invited to ESA’s ESTEC technical centre by the Agency’s Advanced Concepts Team to highlight the project’s findings.
The ACT is tasked with peering beyond the horizon of current space projects.
Learn more: ‘POLAR-SITTING’ ORBIT
The Latest on: Advanced Concepts Team
via Google News
The Latest on: Advanced Concepts Team
- 15,000-Square-Foot Gaslamp Venue’s Two Major Restaurants Announce Powerhouse Culinary Teamson November 20, 2019 at 9:17 am
Spanning multiple levels and concepts across 15,000-square-feet ... The venue’s beverage team is comprised of sommelier and bar manager Evan Vallée, a vet of San Francisco’s Restaurant Gary Danko and ...
- Becker partners with Sana Labs to provide personalized CPA Exam preparation through the use of advanced AI technologyon November 19, 2019 at 11:47 pm
The personalized review sessions fill each student's knowledge gaps by providing questions, theories and concepts unique to each student ... when learning a course - increasing the engagement and ...
- Xanadu awarded DARPA grant to further advance quantum machine learningon November 19, 2019 at 9:43 am
TORONTO , Nov. 19, 2019 /CNW/ - Xanadu, a full-stack quantum computing and advanced AI company developing quantum hardware and software ... and AI," said Nathan Killoran , who heads up Xanadu's ...
- FBI Unites Traditional Techniques with Tech-Driven Applications to Solve Today’s Crimeson November 18, 2019 at 12:07 pm
The FBI is pairing its age-old crime-solving techniques and approaches with advanced science and technology applications to accelerate investigations ... FBI as a whole—we have several initiatives and ...
- The future of food: Givaudan develops new concepts in plant-based proteinson November 18, 2019 at 3:26 am
These efforts have deepened knowledge of taste-attribute management, involving different proteins from various supply chains used in different matrices; advanced the flavouring and use of texturized .
- Women in Technology (WIT) honors its Women of the Yearon November 16, 2019 at 3:00 am
As GTRI’s division chief of the Signals and System Division within the Advanced Concepts Laboratory, she leads a team of 30 people, mostly researchers, performing modeling, simulation and analysis in ...
- Best mind map software of 2019: chart and diagram ideas and processeson November 16, 2019 at 2:53 am
Sometimes it's difficult to visualize how a complex set of ideas or concepts ... only you and your team can see them. Premium subscriptions start from $6/month (paid semi-annually), and include 1GB ...
- ASCI Raises Strategic Investment to Accelerate Expansion of Leading Workload Automation Solution, ActiveBatch®on November 14, 2019 at 4:21 pm
"We are thrilled to provide growth capital and our expertise in sales and marketing to support the ASCI team as they further expand the functionality and reach ... Turn/River Capital was advised on ...
- San Antonio’s Acelity execs depart following 3M dealon November 14, 2019 at 3:18 pm
Acelity, formerly known as Kinetic Concepts Inc., is focused on advanced wound care and specialty surgical applications marketed under ... Texas Inc.: Get the best of business news sent directly to ...
- Clean Air Concepts Announces Staff Additionson November 14, 2019 at 1:48 pm
Initially on the MagneGrip installations team, Greg has already traveled to many fire stations and enjoys working and interacting with firefighters. Clean Air Concepts, also known as MagneGrip Group .
via Bing News