A group of researchers, led by Prof. Yuji Matsuura of Tohoku University’s Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering, has developed a method of measuring blood glucose using far infrared light, which is both harmless and non-invasive.
Diabetes patients traditionally monitor their daily blood glucose levels by using a conventional meter which requires blood sampling from the finger tips. The discomfort of pain and risk of infection can sometimes be a source of great stress and concern.
To address that, other researchers have proposed and developed non-invasive methods for glucose measurement using near infrared light. This method works on the premise that near infrared light of some specific wavelengths are selectively absorbed by glucose in the blood.
However, accurate and stable measurement using this method has proven difficult because the near infrared light is not only weakly absorbed by glucose, but also by water, protein and hemoglobin.
In contrast, far infrared light with wavelengths of around 10 micron is strongly absorbed by glucose, making it possible, in theory, for patients to get more sensitive and accurate measurements. However, the problem faced by researchers, is that far-infrared light penetrates only a few microns from the skin’s surface, which makes the detection of blood glucose difficult.
Prof. Matsuura’s team has thus developed a new measurement technique that consists of a small prism attached to the ends of flexible hollow-optical fibers to radiate far infrared light. By using this method, it is possible to irradiate the oral mucosa of inner lips that, unlike skin, have no thick horny layer.
Results from experiments show blood glucose levels sensitively detected and accurately measured with a less than 20% margin of error, which Prof. Matsuura believes is good enough for clinical uses.
Diabetes is a serious problem that affects millions of people worldwide. By combining the new method with far infrared lasers that have recently been developed, Prof. Matsuura expects compact and low-cost blood glucose measurement systems to soon be widely used in clinical fields.
The Latest on: Blood glucose measurement
via Google News
The Latest on: Blood glucose measurement
- Serving Sizes and Portions When You Have Type 2 Diabetes: What to Knowon March 23, 2020 at 4:38 pm
The “ plate method ” may help you eat a balanced diet and limit your chances of accidentally overeating carb-rich foods that might spike your blood sugar. Do you carry a food scale around with you? If ...
- Diabetes Care Devices Market 2020 Global Analysis, Opportunities And Forecast To 2025on March 23, 2020 at 1:10 am
New York, March 23, 2020: The Global Diabetes Care Devices Market is segmented on the lines of its glucose monitoring devices, insulin delivery device, type and regional. Based on glucose monitoring ...
- SLIIT DiabiTech: Non-Invasive Blood Glucose Monitoring Systemon March 22, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Diabetes is a global problem affecting almost all countries. Rates of diabetes have increased in many countries in recent years due to increasing rates of obesity as a leading risk factor. According ...
- Nemaura Medical Launches Non-Invasive Glucose Monitor in the USon March 20, 2020 at 5:09 pm
FDA feedback leads to continuous glucose monitor placement into the wellness device category New York, New York--(Newsfile Corp. - March 20, 2020) - Small Caps Daily recently published an article on ...
- Blood Glucose Monitoring Industry Landscape and Opportunity Assessment (2020-2025) by Component, End-use and Geographyon March 20, 2020 at 7:00 am
/PRNewswire/ -- The "Global Blood Glucose Monitoring Market - Growth, Trends and Forecast (2020-2025)" report has been added to ...
- Global $13.7 Bn Blood Glucose Monitoring Market Study, 2020-2025on March 19, 2020 at 5:38 pm
Dublin, March 19, 2020 -- The "Global Blood Glucose Monitoring Market - Growth, Trends and Forecast (2020-2025)" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's.
- The U.S. Diabetes Monitoring, Treatment and Drug Delivery Market (2019 to 2025) - ResearchAndMarkets.comon March 18, 2020 at 9:32 am
The "Diabetes Monitoring, Treatment and Drug Delivery Market | US | 2019-2025" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering.
- Continuous Glucose Monitoring Devices Market To Reach USD 1.42 Billion By 2027on March 18, 2020 at 6:46 am
According to a new report by Reports and Data, the Continuous Glucose Monitoring devices market was valued at USD 497.74 million in 2019 and is estimated to reach USD 1.42 billion by 2027, growing at ...
- Blood Glucose Monitoring Devices Market 2020 Global Analysis, Opportunities And Forecast To 2025on March 16, 2020 at 11:49 pm
New York, March 17, 2020: The global Blood Glucose Monitoring Devices market report scope includes detailed study covering underlying factors influencing the industry trends. The report scope includes ...
- Asia Pacific Self-monitoring Blood Glucose Devices Market Accelerating Immense Growth During 2020-2025on March 16, 2020 at 11:07 pm
Self-monitoring blood glucose (SMBG) devices is widely sold in public hospital, private hospital, clinics and pharmacy shops. The most proportion of self-monitoring blood glucose (SMBG) devices is ...
via Bing News