Imagine if the picture window in your living room could double as a giant thermostat or big screen TV. A discovery by researchers at the University of British Columbia has brought us one step closer to this becoming a reality.
Researchers at UBC’s Okanagan campus in Kelowna found that coating small pieces of glass with extremely thin layers of metal like silver makes it possible to enhance the amount of light coming through the glass. This, coupled with the fact that metals naturally conduct electricity, may make it possible to add advanced technologies to windowpanes and other glass objects.
“Engineers are constantly trying to expand the scope of materials that they can use for display technologies, and having thin, inexpensive, see-through components that conduct electricity will be huge,” said UBC Associate Professor and lead investigator Kenneth Chau. “I think one of the most important implications of this research is the potential to integrate electronic capabilities into windows and make them smart.”
The next phase of this research, added Chau, will be to incorporate their invention onto windows with an aim to selectively filter light and heat waves depending on the season or time of day.
The theory underlying the research was developed by Chau and collaborator Loïc Markley, an assistant professor of engineering at UBC. Chau and Markley questioned what would happen if they reversed the practice of applying glass over metal—a typical method used in the creation of energy efficient window coatings.
“It’s been known for quite a while that you could put glass on metal to make metal more transparent, but people have never put metal on top of glass to make glass more transparent,” said Markley. “It’s counter-intuitive to think that metal could be used to enhance light transmission, but we saw that this was actually possible, and our experiments are the first to prove it.”
Learn more: UBC researchers discover new glass technology
The Latest on: Display technologies
via Google News
The Latest on: Display technologies
- Global E-Paper Display Industry on February 7, 2019 at 1:07 pm
TECHNOLOGICAL ADVANCEMENTS IN THE EPD MARKET Visionect Develops Technology for Digital Electronic Paper Display Oxford University Researchers Develop e-Paper Displays with High Color Efficiency A New ... […]
- $167 Bn Display Market by Product, Technology, Panel Size, Industry, and Geography - Global Forecast to 2024 on February 6, 2019 at 7:41 am
Dublin, Feb. 06, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The "Display Market by Product (Smartphone, Wearables, Television, Automotive, Signage), Technology (LCD, OLED, Direct-View LED, Micro-LED), Panel Size ... […]
- Global Market Report From IDTechEx Research on OLED Display Forecasts and Technologies 2019-2029: The Global Rise of Flexible and Foldable Displays on February 5, 2019 at 10:30 am
BOSTON, Feb. 5, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- OLED Display Forecasts and Technologies 2019-2029: The Global Rise of Flexible and Foldable Displays from IDTechEx Research includes technology analysis and ... […]
- Leyard to Showcase Display Technologies at ISE 2019 on February 4, 2019 at 2:14 pm
Leyard (Stand 12-F80) has announced the wide range of display technologies it will showcase at Integrated Systems Europe (ISE) 2019 this week in Amsterdam. This marks the first time Leyard and its com... […]
- Leyardto Showcase Latest Display Technologies atISE 2019 on February 4, 2019 at 12:00 am
Today, Leyard, a global leader in visualization products, announced the vast array of industry-leading display technologies it will showcase at Integrated Systems Europe (ISE) 2019 this week in Amster... […]
- Seeya Technology and Universal Display Corporation Announce an OLED Evaluation Agreement on January 28, 2019 at 1:55 pm
Universal Display Corporation (OLED), enabling energy-efficient displays and lighting with its UniversalPHOLED ® technology and materials, today announced an OLED evaluation agreement through its ... […]
- New report: Global Emerging Display Technology market report 2019-2025 with key companies profile and Porter’s Five Force Analysis on January 28, 2019 at 1:12 pm
Global Emerging Display Technology Market report analyzes the market status, market share, growth rate, future trends, market drivers, opportunities, challenges, risks, entry barriers, sales channels, ... […]
- Display technology is the next big thing in the smartphone industry: which will dominate? on January 28, 2019 at 10:09 am
Much of 2018 and the beginning of this year is orbiting around new display technologies that will or already have appeared in the smartphone industry. It seems that the notch is just a transition betw... […]
- The future of operation theatres is 4K: Rajiv Bhalla on January 17, 2019 at 12:01 am
ETHealthWorld | January 17, 2019, 13:21 IST By Rajiv Bhalla 2019 comes with a lot of hope, and if there is one aspect that’s evident to all of us, it’s the emergence and importance of display technolo... […]
- 15.4% Growth Rate (CAGR) to be Register by Global Laser Display Technology Market on January 15, 2019 at 6:18 pm
Global Laser Display Technology Market Size, Status and Forecast 2019-2025; the latest report focuses on current market status, estimated forecast, growth opportunities, key market and top players. Pu... […]
via Bing News