Imagine if the picture window in your living room could double as a giant thermostat or big screen TV. A discovery by researchers at the University of British Columbia has brought us one step closer to this becoming a reality.
Researchers at UBC’s Okanagan campus in Kelowna found that coating small pieces of glass with extremely thin layers of metal like silver makes it possible to enhance the amount of light coming through the glass. This, coupled with the fact that metals naturally conduct electricity, may make it possible to add advanced technologies to windowpanes and other glass objects.
“Engineers are constantly trying to expand the scope of materials that they can use for display technologies, and having thin, inexpensive, see-through components that conduct electricity will be huge,” said UBC Associate Professor and lead investigator Kenneth Chau. “I think one of the most important implications of this research is the potential to integrate electronic capabilities into windows and make them smart.”
The next phase of this research, added Chau, will be to incorporate their invention onto windows with an aim to selectively filter light and heat waves depending on the season or time of day.
The theory underlying the research was developed by Chau and collaborator Loïc Markley, an assistant professor of engineering at UBC. Chau and Markley questioned what would happen if they reversed the practice of applying glass over metal—a typical method used in the creation of energy efficient window coatings.
“It’s been known for quite a while that you could put glass on metal to make metal more transparent, but people have never put metal on top of glass to make glass more transparent,” said Markley. “It’s counter-intuitive to think that metal could be used to enhance light transmission, but we saw that this was actually possible, and our experiments are the first to prove it.”
Learn more: UBC researchers discover new glass technology
The Latest on: Display technologies
via Google News
The Latest on: Display technologies
- TeraRecon Debuts New AI Sync™ Technologyon December 1, 2019 at 2:03 am
AI Sync is incorporated into the full range of TeraRecon products on display at the Radiological Society of North America’s (RSNA)105 th Annual Scientific Assembly this week in Chicago, Illinois at ...
- Better Buy: Himax Technologies vs. Qualcommon November 30, 2019 at 8:31 am
Himax Technologies (NASDAQ: HIMX) and Qualcomm (NASDAQ: QCOM) both make crucial components for mobile devices. Himax produces display driver ICs (integrated circuits) for smartphones and tablets, and ...
- Digital Signage Display Market is Thriving Worldwide | Samsung Electronics, LG Electronics, Philips, Toshiba, Daktronicson November 30, 2019 at 4:16 am
The study provides information on market trends and development, drivers, capacities, technologies, and on the changing capital structure of the 2020 Global Digital Signage Display Market. Some of the ...
- Mazda6 sedan gets updates for 2019, including advanced safety technologyon November 29, 2019 at 5:55 pm
The Signature model now has a reconfigurable 7.0-inch gauge display and a new 360-degree View Monitor with front and rear parking ... A combination of confident driving character, safety technology ...
- Digital Signage Market Precise Outlook 2019 to 2024 | NEC Display Solutions Ltd., Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd., LG Display Co. Ltdon November 29, 2019 at 11:30 am
Nov 29, 2019 (Market Insight Reports via COMTEX) -- Digital signage happens to be a sub-segment of signage. Technologies like LCD, LED and Projection is used in digital signage to display digital ...
- Best Monitor Black Friday & Cyber Monday Deals 2019: Ultrawide, 4K & Gaming Display Sales Reviewed by Spending Labon November 29, 2019 at 9:19 am
Spending Lab earns commissions from purchases made using the links provided. For a more enjoyable computer gaming experience, the best monitor specification available in the market is a 4k OLED screen ...
- Flexible Display Market Seeking Excellent Growth | Panasonic Corporation, Atmel Corporation, Samsung Electronicson November 29, 2019 at 4:08 am
Flexible Display are flexible in nature. Flexible displays like OLEDs, flex pads etc. are emerging display technologies that enables beautiful and efficient displays and lighting panels. Thin OLEDs ...
- Exco Technologies Limited (EXCOF) CEO Darren Kirk on Q4 2019 Results - Earnings Call Transcripton November 28, 2019 at 2:36 pm
Exco Technologies Limited (OTCPK:EXCOF) Q4 2019 Earnings Conference Call November 28 ... And last, but certainly not least, our cash generation – generating ability was on full display this quarter.
- iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max: Apple reportedly sourcing new display technology from Samsungon November 27, 2019 at 10:39 pm
Similar to the current lineup of handsets, each will have different display sizes. Furthermore, it looks like these will purportedly use new technology that results in a thinner panel than its ...
- Global AR and VR Display Markets, 2019-2024 - Emerging Micro-LED Technology Presents Massive Opportunities - ResearchAndMarkets.comon November 25, 2019 at 4:07 pm
The "AR and VR Display Market by Device Type (AR HMD, VR HMD, HUD, Projector), Technology (AR, VR), Application (Consumer, Enterprise, Commercial, Healthcare, Aerospace & Defense), Display Trends, and ...
via Bing News