Imagine if the picture window in your living room could double as a giant thermostat or big screen TV. A discovery by researchers at the University of British Columbia has brought us one step closer to this becoming a reality.
Researchers at UBC’s Okanagan campus in Kelowna found that coating small pieces of glass with extremely thin layers of metal like silver makes it possible to enhance the amount of light coming through the glass. This, coupled with the fact that metals naturally conduct electricity, may make it possible to add advanced technologies to windowpanes and other glass objects.
“Engineers are constantly trying to expand the scope of materials that they can use for display technologies, and having thin, inexpensive, see-through components that conduct electricity will be huge,” said UBC Associate Professor and lead investigator Kenneth Chau. “I think one of the most important implications of this research is the potential to integrate electronic capabilities into windows and make them smart.”
The next phase of this research, added Chau, will be to incorporate their invention onto windows with an aim to selectively filter light and heat waves depending on the season or time of day.
The theory underlying the research was developed by Chau and collaborator Loïc Markley, an assistant professor of engineering at UBC. Chau and Markley questioned what would happen if they reversed the practice of applying glass over metal—a typical method used in the creation of energy efficient window coatings.
“It’s been known for quite a while that you could put glass on metal to make metal more transparent, but people have never put metal on top of glass to make glass more transparent,” said Markley. “It’s counter-intuitive to think that metal could be used to enhance light transmission, but we saw that this was actually possible, and our experiments are the first to prove it.”
Learn more: UBC researchers discover new glass technology
The Latest on: Display technologies
via Google News
The Latest on: Display technologies
- Paper-thin Display Market – Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2019 – 2023 on April 18, 2019 at 12:15 am
The factors contributing to the growth of the market are technological advancements in display technologies, increasing demand for paper-thin displays in smartphones and televisions. The production of ... […]
- Samsung U.S. Resolution Tour 2019 Makes Eight Stops Across the Country To Showcase The Newest and Most Innovative Display Lineup on April 17, 2019 at 8:00 am
Each session will showcase the Samsung Flip, UH55F-E Videowall and IF Series Display, among other top Samsung display technologies designed to revolutionize workplace collaboration and efficiency. At ... […]
- Display Technology on April 15, 2019 at 11:49 am
Digital signage is a viable and effective communications tool, but companies taking the first step in signage deployment will be much more successful on the playing field if they understand the basics ... […]
- Apple expected to adopt mini LED display technology in upcoming products on April 9, 2019 at 9:13 am
Something to look forward to: Kuo said Apple is interested in mini LEDs due to their rich wide color gamut, high dynamic range, high contrast ratios and localized dimming capabilities. Such panels are ... […]
- Apple to Introduce New Display Technology: Macbooks, iPads and a New Apple Display! on April 9, 2019 at 7:33 am
The rumour train is one which should not be taken as something set in stone. While some news may be on point (ahem, pixel 3 renders), others are somewhat misunderstood or falsely reported. In recent ... […]
- New 31.6 inch Apple iMac with Mini LED display technology in the works on April 9, 2019 at 2:29 am
Apple recently launched its new iMacs with the same design as the last models, now we have some details on a new 31.6 inch Apple iMac. The iMac is available in 21 inches and 27 inches at the moment, ... […]
- Total Show Technology Adds Next-Generation beMatrix LEDskin Display Technology to Inventory on April 8, 2019 at 8:07 am
beMatrix LEDskin® next-generation technology enables quick combination of LED cabinets and frames to create the high-definition video wall of the future. Components can be integrated easily into a ... […]
- Global Haptic Technology Market to 2027 - Increasing Demand in Holographic Display Products on April 4, 2019 at 4:31 am
Dublin, April 04, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The "Global Haptic Technology Market Analysis & Trends - Industry Forecast to 2027" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The Global ... […]
- FOCUS-Apple's iPhone struggles unravel ambitions of Japan Display on March 24, 2019 at 4:00 pm
... s shifting fortunes have brought Japan Display to its knees and threaten to end Japan’s long run as a leader in display technology. A slowdown in iPhone sales, combined with a proliferation of new ... […]
- India- Laser Display Technology 2019 Market Segmentation,Application,Technology & Market Analysis Research Report to 2024 on March 19, 2019 at 10:08 am
Laser display technology is the fourth generation display technology after black and white display, color display and digital display. Among the many evolving display technologies, laser display ... […]
via Bing News