Much attention at the 2016 World Economic Forum has been focused on the Fourth Industrial Revolution.
With the proliferation of advanced robotics, autonomous transport, artificial intelligence, machine learning and advances in biotechnology and advanced materials, the skills needed to be an integral member of the workforce will change.
Jobs will change. Some will be lost, some will grow, and others will be entirely new.
And in this brave new world, the journalism field will change too. Already, the Associated Press (AP) has used an automated system to produce news stories. The system, which in 2015 was reported as producing around 3,000 stories per quarter, could potentially produce an estimated 2,000 articles per second.
Andreas Graefe, of the Ludwig Maximilian Univ. of Munich, is studying how humans react to content produced by computer systems.
“At the moment, the approach is used primarily for the coverage of financial and sporting news,”said Graefe. “In both these fields, reports are largely based on already structured data. But the strategy will undoubtedly be extended to cover other subject areas and topics.”
Automated journalism works in a variety of ways. On a simple level, a code can glean numbers from a database and then insert the numbers into pre-written template stories. Other methods attempt to create more complex narratives via big data analytics and natural language generation technology.
According to Columbia Univ.’s Tow Center for Digital Journalism, there are 11 companies currently providing automated journalism solutions. But the field is growing quickly.
The Latest on: Robot Journalism
via Google News
The Latest on: Robot Journalism
- AI-powered journalism: a time-saver or an accident waiting to happen?on November 11, 2019 at 9:35 am
Many other AI efforts have cited the need to retain reporters in the process, amid fears that robots could one produce journalism operate solely. But Belz's paper identifies another big concern: the ...
- AI to upend melody making, teach artists how to please, Spotify tech guru sayson November 10, 2019 at 5:49 pm
The use of artificial intelligence is set to revolutionize how people create music but still, robots will not replace humans in the art of making melodies ... The Times of Israel has gradually ...
- The world's largest cruise ship has a bar with robot bartenders. Here's how my margarita compared to one made by a human.on November 6, 2019 at 2:19 pm
The world's largest cruise ship features a lot of trippy amenities, like the Bionic Bar, which is staffed by two robot bartenders.
- Hong Kong police deploy bomb disposal robot in Tai Kok Tsui as two arrested over cache of Molotovson October 20, 2019 at 4:30 pm
Hong Kong police deployed a bomb disposal robot in Tai Kok Tsui after a suspicious object was found during Sunday ... Hong Kong Free Press relies on direct reader support. Help safeguard independent ...
- From information to I, Robot: the reality of AI ethicson October 5, 2019 at 11:46 pm
“We now see that all professionals – in medicine, law, journalism, the military – are now running through data pipelines. It is the foundation of everything else we care about.” Azimov’s I, Robot and ...
- Can robot waiters plug labor shortfall in China?on September 16, 2019 at 9:45 pm
Siasun Robot and Automation Co., a hi-tech listed enterprise belonging ... She graduated from the University of Hong Kong with a master’s degree in journalism.
- Leading Media to discuss Journalism in the Age of Artificial Intelligenceon September 14, 2019 at 6:22 pm
Use of AI for Quality Journalism. Data Journalism & Data Collaboration Work Globally. Working with Robots & Algorithms. Journalism-as-a-Service Is it working? The Personalization of Immersive Digital ...
- How robots and games are reshaping elderly care in Chinaon September 12, 2019 at 9:04 pm
Chen hopes elderly care robots will become more popular in the next three to ... More information here.) Support quality journalism and content. You've reached your 5 free content limit for the month.
- The robots in our futureon August 24, 2019 at 3:40 am
Talking To Robots is narrated through an alternative timeline that ... an intimacy bot in the book to keep your relationships exciting. Which brings us to the journalism bot: As Duncan explains, there ...
- J Robot: Could Artificial Intelligence Actually Replace Reporters?on July 14, 2019 at 2:30 am
Will it happen for publications too, as “J Robots” (journalism robots) replace reporters? The newsroom will certainly never be the same. If you think about it, the world of publishing has always seen ...
via Bing News