There’s some wonderful news from the NY Public Library, which has released over 180,000 high resolution digital images of public domain works that it found in its collection.
We’ve seen too many organizations, mainly museums, try to claim copyright over public domain works, or otherwise limit access. The NY Public Library, on the other hand, is going the other direction. Not only are they releasing these works and making it clear that the works are in the public domain, but they’re releasing them as high resolution images and actively encouraging people to make use of them.
In an interview with the NY Times, there are some fantastic quotes showing how seriously they take this. This isn’t just an “Oh, here, let’s dump some public domain material.” The NYPL is taking this seriously:
“We see digitization as a starting point, not end point,” said Ben Vershbow, the director of NYPL Labs, the in-house technology division that spearheaded the effort. “We don’t just want to put stuff online and say, ‘Here it is,’ but rev the engines and encourage reuse.”
And others are noticing as well:
“It’s not just a data dump,” said Dan Cohen, the executive director of the Digital Public Library of America, a consortium that offers one-stop access to digitized holdings from more than 1,300 institutions.
The New York Public has “really been thinking about how they can get others to use this material,” Mr. Cohen continued. “It’s a next step that I would like to see more institutions take.”
And part of this is about actually making the damn stuff useful, so they’re creating APIs to do more with the collection as well. And they’ve launched a Remix Residency program to encourage creators to create amazing new works building on all this public domain culture. They also have some cool examples to inspire other ideas, such as Mansion Maniac, an online game letting people explore mansion floor plans from early 20th century New York. More recent plans would be fun too, but sorry kids, those are locked up under copyright. There’s also another example, using images of New York City streets in 1911 and mashing them up with Google’s street view images of today.
There’s lots of fun stuff in the collection as well, including a ton of old maps, and other oddities. For example, playing around, I found what looks like an old “check” written by Thomas Jefferson:
The Latest on: Public Domain
via Google News
The Latest on: Public Domain
- Dublin City enters Phase Three of lockdown exit with public seating plans ongoingon June 27, 2020 at 8:14 am
Dublin City Council has received a number of requests for extra outdoor seating from businesses. The council is also appealing to the public to leave space on public transport for essential workers.
- Domain Model Which Predicts Covid-19 Released This Weekon June 26, 2020 at 9:37 pm
First public domain COVID19 predictive model indiacovidmodel.in, which shows the power of granular district, state and national level starts this week. The predictive model arrives at crucial time ...
- Global multi domain controller market is expected to grow with a CAGR of 12.8% over the forecast period from 2020-2026on June 26, 2020 at 3:49 am
Reportlinker.com announces the release of the report "Multi Domain Controller Market: Global Industry Analysis, Trends, Market Size, an ...
- Private banks: Now, RBI can frame reconstruction scheme without putting moratorium in public domainon June 25, 2020 at 2:49 am
Call this a fallout of the recent YES Bank debacle and its subsequent rescue episode. The Centre has now decided to empower the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to handle mishaps in private banks (any bank ...
- Guantanamo, Walking the Witch, and How Sleep Deprivation Killson June 22, 2020 at 8:30 am
A single poor night of sleep can result in irritability, low mood, and less than stellar productivity at work. But sleep deprivation can be chronic and build up over time when less than adequate sleep ...
- HOFF'S PUBLIC DOMAIN HORRORFEST Presents THE TERRORon June 19, 2020 at 12:53 pm
Your favorite live comedy show and horror movie screening series HOFF'S PUBLIC DOMAIN HORRORFEST returns to the livestream stratosphere on Wednesday, June 24th at 9:00 PM EST!
- Sushant Singh Rajput Suicide Case Update: NCP Leader Demands Detailed Inquiry, Says ‘Truth Should be in Public Domain’on June 17, 2020 at 9:49 pm
After home minister Anil Deshmukh, NCP leader Jitendra Awhad says a detailed inquiry in the Sushant Singh Rajput suicide case is required. Read on.
- Malawi: Muhara's Contract Leaks to Public Domain - Malawi Govt Chief Secretary Gets '2 500 Litres of Fuel' Monthlyon June 16, 2020 at 1:44 am
The contract of Chief Secretary to Office of President and Cabinet (OPC), Lloyd Muhara, has leaked to public domain and trending on social media after his notice to force Chief Justice Andrew Nyirenda ...
- Labour of love: India's 1st public domain Covid-19 predictive model goes live this week (IANS Exclusive)on June 15, 2020 at 2:20 am
Driven by a common passion to build world class digital public goods for India, a clutch of 10 mostly reclusive computer scientists are launching the country's most detailed and first public domain ...
via Bing News