New research has found, for the first time, a scientific solution that enables future internet infrastructure to become completely open and programmable while carrying internet traffic at the speed of light.
The research by High Performance Networks (HPN) group in the University of Bristol’s Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering is published in the world’s first scientific journal Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A.
The current internet infrastructure is not able to support independent development and innovation at physical and network layer functionalities, protocols, and services, while at the same time supporting the increasing bandwidth demands of changing and diverse applications.
The research addresses this problem with a new high performance network infrastructure that is open and programmable and uses light to carry internet traffic. It introduces new concepts of open source optical internet enabled by optical white box and software defined network technologies
Dr Reza Nejabati, Reader in Optical Networks in the HPN group, said: “Hardware and software technologies reported in this paper can potentially revolutionised optical network infrastructure the same way that Google Android and Apple iOS did for mobile phones. These technologies will hide complexity of optical networks and open them up for traditional programmers and application developers to create new type of internet applications taking advantages of speed of light.”
Dimitra Simeonidou, Professor of High Performance Networks and who leads the HPN group, added: “New internet technologies frequently emerge, but most of them rarely result in new and revolutionary internet applications. The technologies suggested could pave the way for the creation of new internet services and applications not previously possible or disruptive.
The technologies could also potentially change the balance of power from vendors and operators that are monopolising the current internet infrastructure to wider users and service providers.”
The Latest on: internet of the future
via Google News
The Latest on: Internet of the future
- Binance-Backed Blockchain Auditing Firm Partners With Hdac to Track Internet-of-Things Deviceson June 26, 2020 at 5:48 pm
Auditing firm CertiK and Hdac are teaming to bring Internet of Things (IoT) devices onto a blockchain. Hdac’s blockchain platform attempts to combine secure authentication, seamless mapping and ...
- Internet of Things (IOT) Sensors Market 2020 with (Covid-19) Impact Key Players Analysis, Business Growth, Future Demand and Forecast by 2025on June 26, 2020 at 7:36 am
The IoT sensors market is expected to be valued at US$ 5.28 Billion by 2018 and is projected to reach US$ 23.82 Billion by 2024, at a CAGR of 34.1% between 2018 and 2024. FYI, You will get latest ...
- CertiK partner with Hdac to integrate the Internet of Things with blockchainon June 26, 2020 at 6:18 am
Blockchain offers the benefits of smart contracts and enables greater scalability for the exponentially growing IoT market. CertiK, a blockchain cybersecurity startup, has collabo ...
- Jeremy Allaire, founder of Fintech Circle: “We won’t Believe that We Ever Needed to Pay to Send Money” in the Futureon June 25, 2020 at 8:10 pm
Allaire, whose comments came during a June 24, 2020 webinar held with the support of the Chamber of Digital Commerce, has said that the growth in mainstream financial use cases is driving more demand ...
- 5 Processors Powering The Future Of IoT Applicationson June 25, 2020 at 12:49 pm
With IoT expected to help lead an economic recovery from the pandemic-induced recession, CRN takes a look at five new processors that are powering future innovations in the industry. While the ...
- What’s the future of online higher education in Africa?on June 25, 2020 at 9:01 am
Africa has the world’s fastest-growing youth population. Yet, there is a stark undersupply of quality, affordable higher education across the continent.
- Internet of Things Market Analysis Covering Current and Future Growth, Trend, Feasibility and Regional Outlook to 2026on June 25, 2020 at 5:39 am
The global internet of things market is expected to rise with an impressive CAGR and generate the highest revenue by ...
- The future of connected television: Reaching the missing millionson June 25, 2020 at 2:30 am
With the industry changing rapidly, it is important to approach the idea of TV with flexibility, because TV is now a home-hub for all connected living. The industry must be willing to adapt to viewers ...
- WNBA's Chantel Tremitiere, the internet's 'auntie' of trick shots, talks unexpected fame and future shotson June 23, 2020 at 5:58 pm
The internet got hold of an impressive trick shot video, but many didn't realize that the star of the clip was former WNBA player Chantel Tremitiere. The 50-year-old viral sensation has been gaining ...
- Global Wearable Computing Devices Market closes in at 168 million units by 2020, on the back of Increased Affordability - Future Market Insightson June 23, 2020 at 6:25 am
Rapid digitization of businesses and personal households is driving increased consumption of wearable technology devices, boosting the need for advanced computing solutions. Going by these trends, the ...
via Bing News