Washington State University researchers have developed a catalyst that easily converts bio-based ethanol to a widely used industrial chemical, paving the way for more environmentally friendly, bio-based plastics and products.
The researchers have published a paper online describing the catalyst in the Journal of the American Chemical Society (http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jacs.5b07401) and have been granted a U.S. patent.
The chemical industry is interested in moving away from fossil fuels to bio-based products to reduce environmental impacts and to meet new regulations for sustainability, said Yong Wang, Voiland Distinguished Professor in the Gene and Linda Voiland School of Chemical Engineering and Bioengineering.
The industry has traditionally made a widely used chemical called isobutene – used in everything from plastic soda bottles to rubber tires – by superheating crude oil. But in collaboration with the Archer Daniels Midland (ADM) Company, Wang and his colleagues developed a catalyst to convert bio-based ethanol, which is made from corn or other biomass, to isobutene in one easy production step.
The researchers examined the costs and lifetime of their catalyst to determine its practicality for the marketplace and determined that it could be used for other closely related feedstocks. They also discovered just how their catalyst works, knowledge that could be used to design more efficient catalysts for a wide range of applications.
The Latest on: New catalyst
via Google News
The Latest on: New catalyst
- Fluorocarbon Bonds Are No Match for New Light-Powered Nanocatalyston June 27, 2020 at 12:12 pm
F Bonds Rice University engineers have created a light-powered catalyst that can break the strong chemical bonds in fluorocarbons, a group of synthetic materials that includes persistent environmental ...
- Burlington aims for 2021 start date for new pay structure in parking garageson June 27, 2020 at 10:07 am
“Although the financial realities of COVID-19 were the catalyst for this change ... BTV postpones elimination of two-hour free parking at popular Marketplace garage When the new rules kick in for ...
- Global Printing Ink Catalyst Market By Type, By Application, By End-Use, By Resin, Competition, Forecast & Opportunities, 2025on June 26, 2020 at 5:54 pm
Reportlinker.com announces the release of the report "Global Printing Ink Catalyst Market By Type, By Application, By End-Use, By Resin, Competition,.
- Global Refinery Catalyst Market By Type, By Ingredient, By Region, Competition, Forecast & Opportunities, 2025on June 26, 2020 at 5:40 pm
Reportlinker.com announces the release of the report "Global Refinery Catalyst Market By Type, By Ingredient, By Region, Competition, Forecast &.
- Every new HomeKit feature in iOS 14, tvOS 14, & macOS Big Suron June 26, 2020 at 5:01 pm
With iOS 14, Apple is boosting its HomeKit smart home platform with new features and quality of life improvements that users have been clamoring for such as motion zones, facial recognition, and more.
- America Doesn’t Need a New Revolutionon June 26, 2020 at 1:10 pm
Can the country confront its current problems with its traditional can-do spirit? We have barely four months to figure out how.
- The new normal: It’s time to reevaluate your approach to business and human relationson June 26, 2020 at 10:20 am
Yet in a period of such volatility, the unprecedented pandemic has been a catalyst for innovation as organizations adapt to a wave of new regulations and societal changes. My team spent 55 days ...
- Oscar, the New York City health insurance company, raises $225 millionon June 26, 2020 at 9:42 am
Oscar, a direct-to-consumer health insurance agency, said it has raised $225 million in new funding. The New York City-based company said the financing came from existing investors, including Alphabet ...
- FA Cup win could be catalyst for future Man Utd success – Ole Gunnar Solskjaeron June 26, 2020 at 5:10 am
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer believes winning the FA Cup could provide the catalyst for bigger and better things at Manchester United. As bitter rivals Liverpool celebrate the first league title in 30 ...
- Catalyst AV Member Tech Source Distributors Opens New Virginia Locationon June 25, 2020 at 9:35 am
The new Tech Source distribution center features Sony, AVPro Edge, Rapid Video Mounts, Catalyst AV Wire and Cable and other essential integrator products.
via Bing News