Robots are taking over the workforce. It’s a remarkable showing of human ingenuity—and a huge problem for working Americans.
The next time you’re daydreaming at work, think about the tasks you’ve performed that day. Be honest with yourself about what parts of them have involved skills that you think are unique to human cognition: Empathy, maybe? Creative, nonlinear thinking? Sure. But putting things in a spreadsheet? A robot could do that. Building something? A robot could definitely do that, too. And then remember, the robots don’t stop to daydream.
In 2015, the pace of automation increased dramatically. The looming promise—and peril—of self-driving cars was the catalyst for much of this attention. And, indeed, that may be the form of automation that initially upends the American landscape. For many people, it will mean a break from boring commutes and an end to the scourge of car-related deaths (which kill as many people as breast cancer or guns in any given year). But there is another side to the story. Just ask the truck drivers: Because of self-driving technology, one of the most common jobs in America is very likely going to disappear. How will the economy absorb these robot-displaced workers?
Most jobs, it turns out, involve a great amount of easily automated busy work. No one is immune, and few tasks are actually not busy work. Even writers are being replaced by machines that can turn out entirely serviceable articles. A world where most of the work is performed by machines could either be a paradise of creativity or a hell of unemployment and income inequality. The solution may be to create a universal basic income. If not that, we’ll need to find another one soon.
Read and see more: Don’t Kid Yourself, A Robot Could Do Your Job: 2015 In Automation
The Latest on: Automation
via Google News
The Latest on: Automation
- Hollysys Automation Technologies Ltd (HOLI) Q1 2021 Earnings Call Transcripton November 13, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Q1 2021 Earnings Call Nov 13, 2020, 8:00 p.m. ET Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for standing by, and welcome to the Hollysys Automation Technologies Earnings Conference Call for Fiscal Year 2021 ...
- Substation Automation and Integration Market Size Outlook 2025: Top Companies, Trends, Growth Factors Details by Regions, Types and Applicationson November 13, 2020 at 4:21 pm
The global Substation Automation and Integration market size is expected to gain market growth in the forecast period of 2020 to 2025, with a CAGR of 3.2%% in the forecast period of 2020 to 2025 and ...
- Manufacturing industry leaders in Europe discuss the pros and cons of the combining automation and work-from-home strategieson November 13, 2020 at 8:21 am
The pandemic has prompted wider use of automation and flexible working arrangements, but executives in Europe warn that small business may not see the same quick return on investment as larger firms.
- Hollysys Automation Technologies, Inc. (HOLI) CEO Colin Sung on Q1 2021 Results - Earnings Call Transcripton November 13, 2020 at 5:34 am
Q1 2021 Earnings Conference Call November 12, 2020 20:00 ET Company Participants Arden Xia - Investor Relations-Director Colin Sung - Chief Executive Officer Steven Wang - Chief Financial Officer ...
- Intelligent Automation Is About Boosting Business And Making Our World More Humanon November 13, 2020 at 4:00 am
IA is capable of improving employee and customer satisfaction and boosting revenues. But generalizing the use of IA in our world involves some risks.
- Global Marketing Automation Software Market to 2030 by Offering, Enterprise, Deployment, Application, Industryon November 13, 2020 at 1:57 am
The "Marketing Automation Software Market Research Report: By Offering, Enterprise, Deployment, Application, Industry - Global Industry Analysis and Growth Forecast to 2030" report has been added to ...
- Brooks Automation, Inc. Just Beat Earnings Expectations: Here's What Analysts Think Will Happen Nexton November 12, 2020 at 8:26 pm
Shareholders of Brooks Automation, Inc. (NASDAQ:BRKS) will be pleased this week, given that the stock price is up 14% to US$65.09 following its latest yearly results. Revenues were US$897m, ...
- Network Automation Market to witness steady growth of 25% during 2020-2026on November 12, 2020 at 6:19 pm
The network automation managed services may be implemented to offer uninterrupted business services through the industrial network infrastructure. Get sample copy of this research report @ Changing ...
- Hollysys Automation: Fiscal 1Q Earnings Snapshoton November 12, 2020 at 3:17 pm
BEIJING (AP) _ Hollysys Automation Technologies Ltd. (HOLI) on Thursday reported fiscal first-quarter earnings of $20.5 million. The Beijing-based company said it had profit of 34 cents per share. The ...
- Fusco & Orsini Insurance Services Selects Applied Marketing Automationon November 12, 2020 at 6:39 am
Insurance agency to manage integrated marketing campaigns as part of digital agency strategyUNIVERSITY PARK, Ill., Nov. 12, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Applied Systems® today announced Fusco & Orsini ...
via Bing News