Engineers at Oregon State University have identified a new approach for the storage of concentrated solar thermal energy, to reduce its cost and make it more practical for wider use.
Conceptually, all of the energy produced could be stored indefinitely and used later when the electricity is most needed.
Some energy could be used immediately and the rest stored for later use.
Many alternative energy systems are constrained by this lack of dependability and consistent energy flow.
In contrast to conventional solar photovoltaic cells that produce electricity directly from sunlight, solar thermal generation of energy is developed as a large power plant in which acres of mirrors precisely reflect sunlight onto a solar receiver.
“The molten salts now being used to store solar thermal energy can only work at about 600 degrees centigrade, and also require large containers and corrosive materials. The compound we’re studying can be used at up to 1,200 degrees, and might be twice as efficient as existing systems.”This has the potential for a real breakthrough in energy storage,” he said.
In laboratory tests, one concern arose when the energy storage capacity of the process declined after 45 heating and cooling cycles, due to some changes in the underlying materials.
The Latest on: Solar thermal energy
via Google News
The Latest on: Solar thermal energy
- X-energy Teams with NFI to Supply Exclusive Fuel to the High-Temperature Gas-Cooled Reactor (HTGR) in Japanon June 26, 2020 at 5:45 pm
X-energy also designs plants that unlock the fuel's potential in a process that's as clean as wind or solar. When combined, the result is reliable carbon-free baseload power, produced more safely ...
- Avista Issues Request for Proposals for Renewable Energyon June 26, 2020 at 9:51 am
Avista, through a request for proposal (RFP), is seeking proposals from renewable energy project developers who are capable of constructing, owning, and operating up to 120 average MW’s (aMW’s) ...
- The Solar Roof Is Dying and So Is Tesla's Energy Company Dreamon June 26, 2020 at 7:47 am
Tesla ( NASDAQ:TSLA) isn't really an energy company; it's an auto manufacturer through and through. Sure, it makes batteries that are sometimes sold to utilities to store energy, but 95% of Tesla's ...
- Environment Colorado wants solar panels on every new homeon June 25, 2020 at 12:02 pm
Environment Colorado wants every new home equipped with solar panels, and it's in violation of the law. The organization said this week it's launching a campaign to get there, following California's ...
- Solar-powered bungalow in Australia promotes indoor-outdoor livingon June 24, 2020 at 9:32 am
The Elm Street House promotes community connection and indoor-outdoor living with a solar chimney design in Melbourne, Australia. See the photos here.
- The Energy 202: Stacey Abrams wants the South to do more to tackle climate changeon June 24, 2020 at 5:56 am
The South is doing bits and pieces,' she said. 'We have not taken the concerted and, I would say, persistent action that we need.' ...
- Senegalese Women’s Participation in Energy Sector equals Empowermenton June 24, 2020 at 1:06 am
Energy 4 Impact, a non-profit organisation working with local businesses to extend access to energy in Africa, and Siggil Jigeen, an NGO that promotes and protects women’s rights in Senegal, are ...
- Could Flex Services Draw New Players to Energy Sector?on June 24, 2020 at 12:31 am
Vodafone partners with Energy Web as part of a wider play in the energy market. A tie-up between Vodafone and Energy Web is evidence that an emerging flexibility services opportunity is luring new ...
- Enphase Energy and ProSolar Restore Solar Power at Bluebeard’s Castle Resort in the Caribbeanon June 22, 2020 at 6:40 pm
Enphase Energy, Inc. (ENPH), a global energy technology company and the world’s leading supplier of solar microinverters, today announced that ProSolar Systems, a US Virgin Islands-based solar ...
- This $90,000 egg-shaped tiny home is powered by wind and solar energy and collects and filters its own water supply — see insideon June 19, 2020 at 6:00 pm
The Ecocapsule tiny home can accommodate up to two people with its kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, and dining room.
via Bing News