eFishery, a company based in Indonesia and spearheaded by TED Prize director Amy Novogratz, hopes to alleviate waste problems that result from both over and underfeeding of fish with the development of a smart feeding device that bases the amount of feed dispensed on fish behavior.
Fish feeding typically accounts for 50 to 80 percent of a fish farm’s overhead costs, but since feeding is a manual task, its mostly an unmeasured and inexact method with one of two outcomes.
eFishery’s automatic smart feeder is designed to address these issues and dispense just the right amount of feed by using sensors that measure fish appetite.
Designed for large- and small-scale farmers, the system picks up on hungry fish behavior through an in-water, vibration-based sensor that can read the movement of a hungry versus a full fish.
“I saw the problem when I was a fish farmer myself. Fish feeding is done inefficiently by laborers, and farmers don’t have any technology to control the feeding yet. We built this product to make the fish and shrimp farming business more efficient, convenient, and accountable.”
The Latest on: Fish Farming
via Google News
The Latest on: Fish Farming
- Fish farms generate 0.5 per cent of man-made climate emissionson August 13, 2020 at 8:58 am
Fish farming around the world generates around the same amount of greenhouse gas emissions as the sheep industry, according to new international research.
- Namibia: Probe Into Stalled Fish Farm Project... Contractor Claims Cash-Flow Problemson August 13, 2020 at 6:01 am
Government has ordered an investigation into the abandoned Fonteintjie fish farm project in the //Kharas region, which was supposed to be completed more than three years ago.
- Scottish researchers pioneer rock anchor for high-energy fish farmson August 13, 2020 at 2:00 am
A group of Scottish researchers and aquaculture equipment manufacturers have teamed up to develop a rock anchor for use in high energy environments ...
- Iran to develop fish farming, produce aquatic vaccineson August 12, 2020 at 11:20 pm
Turkish high-ranked military officials arrive in Azerbaijan to observe joint tactical exercises (PHOTO) Politics 10:12 ...
- Operator sought for Island's only fish farmon August 11, 2020 at 11:36 pm
The Manx Government is looking for expressions of interest to run its fish farm. The Cornaa hatchery, near Maughold, is used to rear around ...
- Fish farming applications to be examined on Tuesdayon August 10, 2020 at 4:23 pm
The fisheries department will examine the status of applications received by entrepreneurs for establishing ponds and fish farming in G.
- Fish Farms In The Gulf Of Mexico Are A No-Goon August 7, 2020 at 2:03 pm
New Orleans Public Radio talked with Marianne Cufone, director of the Recirculating Farms Coalition and the environmental program at the Loyola University College of Law, and a party in the suit.: The ...
- Court ruling won’t stop Gulf fish farm, CEO sayson August 5, 2020 at 3:48 pm
The Gulf Fishermen’s Association claimed aquaculture regulations fall outside the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s National Marine Fisheries Service authority. Environmental groups ...
- Court sinks plan to farm fish in Gulf of Mexicoon August 5, 2020 at 12:10 pm
A federal appeals court has struck down plans backed by President Donald Trump's administration to open the Gulf of Mexico’s federal waters to fish ...
- Proposed fish farm remains unfazed by federal court's NOAA opinionon August 5, 2020 at 8:05 am
As a proposed finfish farm awaits word on its demonstration pen in the Gulf of Mexico, a federal appeals court upheld a decision revoking authority ...
via Bing News