Cornell University researchers have developed a new lightweight and stretchable material with the consistency of memory foam that has potential for use in prosthetic body parts, artificial organs and soft robotics. The foam is unique because it can be formed and has connected pores that allow fluids to be pumped through it.
The polymer foam starts as a liquid that can be poured into a mold to create shapes, and because of the pathways for fluids, when air or liquid is pumped through it, the material moves and can change its length by 300 percent.
While applications for use inside the body require federal approval and testing, Cornell researchers are close to making prosthetic body parts with the so-called “elastomer foam.”
“We are currently pretty far along for making a prosthetic hand this way,” said Rob Shepherd, assistant professor of mechanical and aerospace engineering, and senior author of a paper appearing online and in an upcoming issue of the journal Advanced Materials. Benjamin Mac Murray, a graduate student in Shepherd’s lab, is the paper’s first author.
In the paper, the researchers demonstrated a pump they made into a heart, mimicking both shape and function.
The Latest on: Elastomer foam
via Google News
The Latest on: Elastomer foam
- The Best Hiking Boots of 2019 on June 19, 2019 at 5:53 am
The boot features a Contagrip rubber sole with an aggressive lug pattern that provides ... The Terrex Free Hiker is Adidas’s first hiking boot to use the energy-returning Boost foam that’s present in ... […]
- The Best Flip-Flops for Men that are Both Stylish and Practical on June 18, 2019 at 10:00 am
Orlebar Brown Rubber and Cork Flip-Flops Flaunting a spongy cork- and foam-based footbed, Orlebar Brown’s sandals are among the most comfortable beach companions you can find in our flip-flop round-up ... […]
- The 361-Fantom Is a Smooth Trainer for Long Runs on June 17, 2019 at 12:54 pm
A midsole made with a combination of EVA foam and an EVA-rubber blend provides some of the smoothest cushioning out there, and above your foot, a padded tongue swaddles your foot once you tighten the ... […]
- Foam's role in auto manufacturing expands on June 17, 2019 at 9:16 am
Foam doesn't weigh much—and that's why auto makers may put ... "And with the Chinese market's focus on rear seat comfort, Woodbridge expects this to gain much interest." Rubber & Plastics News wants ... […]
- Rubber soul: How a pink light bulb grew into a collection of over 6,500 erasers for one Sask. woman on June 15, 2019 at 1:54 pm
Thurman and her mom started filling shoe boxes. Later, they started laying them out and tying them to foam pieces to make them easier to move. "I just kept going with it and never stopped. I never ... […]
- Elastomeric Foam Market Report 2019: Industry Growth, Competitive Analysis and Forecast: PolyOne Corporation, SABIC, Aeroflex, Armacell on June 14, 2019 at 11:18 am
According to the current analysis of Reports and Data, the global elastomeric foam market was valued at USD 1.28 Billion in 2018 and is expected to reach USD 2.11 Billion by year 2026, at a CAGR of ... […]
- Fire under control at rubber recycling facility on June 10, 2019 at 5:43 pm
“The rubber was difficult to extinguish.” City firefighters were assisted by volunteer crews from Brant County and Six Nations. Chemicals mixed with tanker water produced foam used by firefighters to ... […]
- Global Flexible Elastomeric Foam Market 2018 Manufacturer Landscape, Revenue and Volume Analysis and Segment Information upto 2025 on June 3, 2019 at 7:53 pm
Jun 04, 2019 (Aperture Games via COMTEX) -- Global Flexible Elastomeric Foam Market released by Fior Markets aims to provide Flexible Elastomeric Foam market size, vendor landscape, key leading ... […]
- Elastomeric Foam Market To Reach USD 2.11 Billion By 2026 | Reports And Data on June 3, 2019 at 10:01 am
Significant increase in industrialization, effective growth in the miniaturization, increase in the demand for insulation materials, favorable initiatives encouraging energy efficiency undertaken by ... […]
- Global Flexible Elastomeric Foam Market Outlook 2027 Top Companies in Market, Trends & Growth Factors on May 28, 2019 at 9:24 am
Huamei Energy-saving Technology Group Co., LTD. The report also includes the profiles of key flexible elastomeric foam companies along with their SWOT analysis and market strategies. In addition, the ... […]
via Bing News