Nanotechnology offers new approach to increasing storage ability of dielectric capacitors
For Back to the Future fans, this week marked a milestone that took three decades to reach.
Oct. 21, 2015, was the day that Doc Brown and Marty McFly landed in the future in their DeLorean, with time travel made possible by a “flux capacitor.”
While the flux capacitor still conjures sci-fi images, capacitors are now key components of portable electronics, computing systems, and electric vehicles.
In contrast to batteries, which offer high storage capacity but slow delivery of energy, capacitors provide fast delivery but poor storage capacity.
A great deal of effort has been devoted to improving this feature — known as energy density — of dielectric capacitors, which comprise an insulating material sandwiched between two conducting metal plates.
The work is reported in a paper, “Dielectric Capacitors with Three-Dimensional Nanoscale Interdigital Electrodes for Energy Storage,” published in Science Advances, the first open-access, online-only journal of AAAS.
“With our approach, we achieved an energy density of about two watts per kilogram, which is significantly higher than that of other dielectric capacitor structures reported in the literature,” says Bingqing Wei, professor of mechanical engineering at UD.
“To our knowledge, this is the first time that 3D nanoscale interdigital electrodes have been realized in practice,” he adds. “With their high surface area relative to their size, carbon nanotubes embedded in uniquely designed and structured 3D architectures have enabled us to address the low ability of dielectric capacitors to store energy.”
Read more: Capacitor breakthrough
The Latest on: Capacitors
via Google News
The Latest on: Capacitors
- United States Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitor Market by Type, Product, Delivery Mode, End-User – Forecast to 2026on January 20, 2020 at 9:02 pm
Global Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitor Market Projected to Witness Robust Development by 2020 – 2026 Aluminum electrolytic capacitors are consumed in many of the key end products that drive the global ...
- Global High Voltage Plastic Film Capacitors Market Expected to Witness a Sustainable Growth over 2026on January 16, 2020 at 11:53 pm
The recent research report on the global High Voltage Plastic Film Capacitors market presents the latest industry data and future trends, allowing you to recognize the products and end users driving ...
- Stuck in the Middle: How to Choose Your Next Bandpass Filteron January 16, 2020 at 1:04 pm
The allowed range of frequencies is called the passband. Filters are often designed with published tables of numbers that are converted into inductors and capacitors to achieve responses, including ...
- Polymer Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors Market Overview, Growth, Regions, Shares, Demand, Supply, Cost Structure Forecast to 2029on January 14, 2020 at 2:03 am
A new Polymer Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors Market research report that keenly observes the 2020 industry and gives a diligent idea regarding the current market, latest market movements, future ...
- 501 PGM-ST Aluminum Capacitors from Vishay Featured in FTM by Future Electronicson January 13, 2020 at 8:01 pm
Montreal, Canada (mynewsdesk) January 13, 2020 - Future Electronics, a global leading distributor of electronic components, is featuring aluminum capacitors from Vishay in the latest issue of Future ...
- Automotive Capacitors Market Booming by Trend and Top Growing Companies 2029 | Murata Manufacturing and Nichiconon January 13, 2020 at 2:05 am
Market.us research strategic development and progressive approach analysts forecasts provide the latest report on “New Version Of Automotive Capacitors Market – Detailed Analysis of Current and Future ...
- ITW .039 400v capacitors Silveron January 11, 2020 at 4:09 pm
This item is sold As-Described and cannot be returned unless it arrives in a condition different from how it was described or photographed. Items must be returned in original, as-shipped condition ...
- Cornell Dubilier Extends Capabilities of High Current AC Harmonic Filter Capacitorson January 11, 2020 at 12:08 am
Improvements to the Cornell Dubilier PC Series of AC harmonic filter capacitors include a new 85 Ampere RMS rating and numerous other enhancements Northvale, NJ, January 11, 2020 --(PR.com)-- New ...
- Cornell Dubilier expands capabilities in high current AC harmonic filter capacitorson January 10, 2020 at 5:48 am
New Yorker Electronics is now distributing the newly enhanced Cornell Dubilier PC series of AC harmonic filter capacitors. Cornell Dubilier has extended the capabilities of the series, including a new ...
- Ceramic Dielectric Capacitors Market Report, Growth Forecast, Industry Statistics Till 2025(Kemet, Murata, Walsin)on January 9, 2020 at 8:27 am
Los Angeles, CA -- (SBWIRE) -- 01/09/2020 -- It sheds light on how the global Ceramic Dielectric Capacitors market is expected to grow during the course of the forecast period. With SWOT analysis and ...
via Bing News