Nanotechnology offers new approach to increasing storage ability of dielectric capacitors
For Back to the Future fans, this week marked a milestone that took three decades to reach.
Oct. 21, 2015, was the day that Doc Brown and Marty McFly landed in the future in their DeLorean, with time travel made possible by a “flux capacitor.”
While the flux capacitor still conjures sci-fi images, capacitors are now key components of portable electronics, computing systems, and electric vehicles.
In contrast to batteries, which offer high storage capacity but slow delivery of energy, capacitors provide fast delivery but poor storage capacity.
A great deal of effort has been devoted to improving this feature — known as energy density — of dielectric capacitors, which comprise an insulating material sandwiched between two conducting metal plates.
The work is reported in a paper, “Dielectric Capacitors with Three-Dimensional Nanoscale Interdigital Electrodes for Energy Storage,” published in Science Advances, the first open-access, online-only journal of AAAS.
“With our approach, we achieved an energy density of about two watts per kilogram, which is significantly higher than that of other dielectric capacitor structures reported in the literature,” says Bingqing Wei, professor of mechanical engineering at UD.
“To our knowledge, this is the first time that 3D nanoscale interdigital electrodes have been realized in practice,” he adds. “With their high surface area relative to their size, carbon nanotubes embedded in uniquely designed and structured 3D architectures have enabled us to address the low ability of dielectric capacitors to store energy.”
Read more: Capacitor breakthrough
The Latest on: Capacitors
via Google News
The Latest on: Capacitors
- A look at Seattle’s exciting pinball present and sketchy paston December 1, 2019 at 6:00 am
Hold four of them in your hand, and it’s the weight of a human heart. A standard pinball machine contains between a quarter-mile and a half-mile of wire, the nervous system for around 3,500 parts — ...
- Power Capacitors Market Market Competitive analysis and growth Strategies to 2028on November 29, 2019 at 12:23 am
Nov 29, 2019 (MARKITWIRED via COMTEX) -- VALLEY COTTAGE, N.Y. - Global Power Capacitors Market: Introduction Power capacitors are electronic devices that are used to improve the power factor of ...
- Electrocube RC Networks Absorb Spark Discharges and Induced Noise While Managing Surge Voltage and Oscillationson November 29, 2019 at 12:06 am
Also known as resistors, resistor-capacitors or RC filters, Electrocube’s RC Networks are uniquely designed to prevent or substantially minimize the occurrence of arcing and noise generations in relay ...
- Hacking Transmitters, 1920s Styleon November 28, 2019 at 7:11 pm
The origin of the term “breadboard” comes from an amusing past when wooden bread boards were swiped from kitchens and used as a canvas for radio hobbyists to roll homemade capacitors, inductors, and ...
- Boron-doped Nanodiamond as an Electrode Material for Aqueous Electric Double-layer Capacitorson November 28, 2019 at 2:19 am
Supercapacitors or electrochemical double-layer capacitors (EDLCs) are electrochemical energy storage devices. Charging–discharging of EDLCs is based on adsorption–desorption of electrolyte ions and ...
- Anti-Vibe Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors from Panasonic Featured in THE EDGE by Future Electronicson November 26, 2019 at 10:19 pm
Montreal, Canada (mynewsdesk) November 26, 2019 - Future Electronics, a global leading distributor of electronic components, is featuring anti-vibration aluminum electrolytic capacitors from Panasonic ...
- Supercapacitors and Ultracapacitors Market Segment by Applications, Manufacturers, Regions and Forecast to 2024on November 25, 2019 at 7:41 am
A supercapacitor is a high capacity capacitor that can carry a capacitance value greater than normal capacitors. They have lower voltage limits and can store between ten to a hundred times more energy ...
- Screen Printed Passives and Interconnects on Bio-Degradable Medical Hydrocolloid Dressing for Wearable Sensorson November 25, 2019 at 2:19 am
We further elucidate on the usage of the hydrocolloid dressing by prototyping a Wireless Power Transfer (WPT) sensor and a humidity sensor using printed spiral inductors and interdigital capacitors, ...
- Little Flash Charges In 40 Seconds Thanks To Super Capacitorson November 21, 2019 at 12:03 pm
We’ve all committed the sin of making a little arduino robot and running it off AA batteries. Little Flash is better than that and runs off three 350 F capacitors. In fact, that’s the entire mission ...
- Global Super-Capacitors and Ultra-Capacitors...on November 21, 2019 at 1:31 am
10.2 ELNA Co. Ltd. 10.3 KEMET Electronics 10.4 Maxwell Technologies Inc. 10.5 Murata Manufacturing Co. Ltd. 10.6 NEC TOKIN 10.7 Graphene Laboratories Inc. 10.8 Nippon Chemi-Con Corporation 10.9 Eaton ...
via Bing News