Nanotechnology offers new approach to increasing storage ability of dielectric capacitors
For Back to the Future fans, this week marked a milestone that took three decades to reach.
Oct. 21, 2015, was the day that Doc Brown and Marty McFly landed in the future in their DeLorean, with time travel made possible by a “flux capacitor.”
While the flux capacitor still conjures sci-fi images, capacitors are now key components of portable electronics, computing systems, and electric vehicles.
In contrast to batteries, which offer high storage capacity but slow delivery of energy, capacitors provide fast delivery but poor storage capacity.
A great deal of effort has been devoted to improving this feature — known as energy density — of dielectric capacitors, which comprise an insulating material sandwiched between two conducting metal plates.
The work is reported in a paper, “Dielectric Capacitors with Three-Dimensional Nanoscale Interdigital Electrodes for Energy Storage,” published in Science Advances, the first open-access, online-only journal of AAAS.
“With our approach, we achieved an energy density of about two watts per kilogram, which is significantly higher than that of other dielectric capacitor structures reported in the literature,” says Bingqing Wei, professor of mechanical engineering at UD.
“To our knowledge, this is the first time that 3D nanoscale interdigital electrodes have been realized in practice,” he adds. “With their high surface area relative to their size, carbon nanotubes embedded in uniquely designed and structured 3D architectures have enabled us to address the low ability of dielectric capacitors to store energy.”
Read more: Capacitor breakthrough
The Latest on: Capacitors
via Google News
The Latest on: Capacitors
- Global Capacitors Industryon February 24, 2020 at 8:00 pm
New York, Feb. 24, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Reportlinker.com announces the release of the report "Global Capacitors Industry" - https://www.reportlinker.com/p05864202/?utm_source=GNW 1%. The shifting ...
- AVX Updates its SpiCAT Online Simulation Tool with New MLCC Product Serieson February 24, 2020 at 3:32 pm
“Our newly updated SpiCAT software will better support customers’ design processes by providing quick, easy, and accurate parametric characterization for an even more extensive range of surface-mount ...
- Panasonic, Sanyo Reach $45M Deal To Duck Capacitor Suiton February 24, 2020 at 2:37 pm
Law360 (February 24, 2020, 4:14 PM EST) -- Panasonic Corp. and its subsidiary Sanyo Electric Co. Ltd. said Friday they have reached a $45 million agreement to resolve antitrust litigation in ...
- What the Tech? App of the day: Jumpropeon February 24, 2020 at 11:44 am
I turned to YouTube and found other people with the same TV and the same problem. By watching a video I saw how easy it was going to be to fix the problem (it needed new capacitors). A stop by Radio ...
- Homemade Capacitors Of A Mad Scientiston February 22, 2020 at 4:00 pm
But we all had to come from somewhere, and that was my introduction to the world of high voltages and homemade capacitors. And along the way I made some pretty interesting, or different ...
- Organic Polymer Tantalum Capacitors Market 2020 Latest trends with Advancementon February 21, 2020 at 11:39 am
The Organic Polymer Tantalum Capacitors market data that is derived from the genuine resources is validated and verified by the industry professionals is presenting it to the respective readers. The ...
- (39) Sprague Black Beauty Capacitors GUITAR VALUES .047 .05 .033 .018 Tone Cap Amp 400V 600Von February 14, 2020 at 2:45 pm
This item is sold As-Described and cannot be returned unless it arrives in a condition different from how it was described or photographed. Items must be returned in original, as-shipped condition ...
- Nichicon workers hold Valentine's Day picketon February 14, 2020 at 1:21 pm
Nichicon is a company specialising in electrolytic capacitors and circuit products which set up shop in Malaysia in April 1990. Its employees' union was granted recognition by then Human Resources ...
- Boost Anion Storage Capacity using Conductive Polymer as a Pseudocapative Cathode for High-Energy and Flexible Lithium Ion Capacitorson February 13, 2020 at 12:32 pm
Find more information on the Altmetric Attention Score and how the score is calculated. Current lithium-ion capacitors (LICs) has been severely plagued by the insufficient anion storage capacity of ...
- PPI 0201 & 0402 Broadband Capacitorson February 13, 2020 at 5:10 am
Passive Plus, Inc. (PPI) customers requiring surface-mountable capacitors that provide resonance-free, low insertion loss, low reflection operation over extremely large RF bandwidths will be well ...
via Bing News