Nanotechnology offers new approach to increasing storage ability of dielectric capacitors
For Back to the Future fans, this week marked a milestone that took three decades to reach.
Oct. 21, 2015, was the day that Doc Brown and Marty McFly landed in the future in their DeLorean, with time travel made possible by a “flux capacitor.”
While the flux capacitor still conjures sci-fi images, capacitors are now key components of portable electronics, computing systems, and electric vehicles.
In contrast to batteries, which offer high storage capacity but slow delivery of energy, capacitors provide fast delivery but poor storage capacity.
A great deal of effort has been devoted to improving this feature — known as energy density — of dielectric capacitors, which comprise an insulating material sandwiched between two conducting metal plates.
The work is reported in a paper, “Dielectric Capacitors with Three-Dimensional Nanoscale Interdigital Electrodes for Energy Storage,” published in Science Advances, the first open-access, online-only journal of AAAS.
“With our approach, we achieved an energy density of about two watts per kilogram, which is significantly higher than that of other dielectric capacitor structures reported in the literature,” says Bingqing Wei, professor of mechanical engineering at UD.
“To our knowledge, this is the first time that 3D nanoscale interdigital electrodes have been realized in practice,” he adds. “With their high surface area relative to their size, carbon nanotubes embedded in uniquely designed and structured 3D architectures have enabled us to address the low ability of dielectric capacitors to store energy.”
Read more: Capacitor breakthrough
The Latest on: Capacitors
via Google News
The Latest on: Capacitors
- Capacitive voltage conversion aka the charge pumpon October 18, 2019 at 10:54 am
By slightly rearranging the diodes and capacitors, it is possible to comprise a circuit known as the Dickson charge pump. The Dickson charge pump (Figure 3) was patented by John F. Dickson in the late ...
- Pcb Design Software Market Value Chain Analysis and Technology overview by 2014-2025on October 17, 2019 at 9:36 pm
It includes various electronic components such as resistors, transistors, IC's and capacitors. The PCB devices are used to connect with the breadboard when the small size device components are not ...
- Global Ceramic Capacitors Industryon October 17, 2019 at 8:58 pm
New York, Oct. 17, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Reportlinker.com announces the release of the report "Global Ceramic Capacitors Industry" - https://www.reportlinker.com/p05817699/?utm_source=GNW 4%. The ...
- TDK Announces New Series Of Compact DC Link Film Capacitorson October 15, 2019 at 9:14 pm
ISELIN, N.J., Oct. 15, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- TDK Corporation today announced that is has added to its portfolio of EPCOS film capacitors for DC link applications with the B3277*X/Y/Z series. The ...
- Tunable Capacitors Market Segmentation, Growth, Share, Leading Key Players, Competitive Analysis, and Forecast by End-Use Industry 2019-2028on October 15, 2019 at 3:55 am
Oct 07, 2019 (WiredRelease via COMTEX) -- Tunable Capacitors Market report 2019 is dispensed after a thorough study of various key market segments like Market Size, Latest Trends, Market Threats & Key ...
- Electrical double layer energy storage capacitors offer high capacity and energy densityon October 9, 2019 at 1:29 am
Vishay's Electric double-layer capacitors are two-terminal energy storage products that collect voltage as current flows through an electric circuit. These devices are available from RS Components.
- High current DC link capacitors offer long life under extreme operating conditionson October 8, 2019 at 2:53 am
New Yorker Electronics now offers the new Electrocube 958A Series of High Current DC Link Metallised Polypropylene Film Capacitors. Constructed with high-grade materials, the 958A capacitor series is ...
- Nano Dimension 3D Prints Production-Grade Capacitors, PCBson September 15, 2019 at 7:01 pm
Nano Dimension says its electronics 3D printers can print production-grade capacitors directly onto 3D-printed PCBs as shown above. (Image source: Nano Dimension) Israeli startup Nano Dimension has ...
- Super-capacitors and Ultra-capacitors Market to Grow at a CAGR of 28.23% - Global Forecast to 2027on September 11, 2019 at 12:13 pm
DUBLIN, Sept. 11, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- The "Global Super-capacitors and Ultra-capacitors Market Size, Market Share, Application Analysis, Regional Outlook, Growth Trends, Key Players, Competitive ...
- Best Car Audio Capacitors: Keep the Bass Pumping and Lights Brighton August 25, 2019 at 1:38 pm
Here are the best car audio capacitors to consider for your ride. The Planet Audio unit comes with a powerful capacitance of 10,000,000, 16 VDC of power, and a surge voltage of 24 VDC. It features an ...
via Bing News