System that replaces human intuition with algorithms outperforms 615 of 906 human teams
Big-data analysis consists of searching for buried patterns that have some kind of predictive power. But choosing which “features” of the data to analyze usually requires some human intuition. In a database containing, say, the beginning and end dates of various sales promotions and weekly profits, the crucial data may not be the dates themselves but the spans between them, or not the total profits but the averages across those spans.
MIT researchers aim to take the human element out of big-data analysis, with a new system that not only searches for patterns but designs the feature set, too. To test the first prototype of their system, they enrolled it in three data science competitions, in which it competed against human teams to find predictive patterns in unfamiliar data sets. Of the 906 teams participating in the three competitions, the researchers’ “Data Science Machine” finished ahead of 615.
In two of the three competitions, the predictions made by the Data Science Machine were 94 percent and 96 percent as accurate as the winning submissions. In the third, the figure was a more modest 87 percent. But where the teams of humans typically labored over their prediction algorithms for months, the Data Science Machine took somewhere between two and 12 hours to produce each of its entries.
“We view the Data Science Machine as a natural complement to human intelligence,” says Max Kanter, whose MIT master’s thesis in computer science is the basis of the Data Science Machine. “There’s so much data out there to be analyzed. And right now it’s just sitting there not doing anything. So maybe we can come up with a solution that will at least get us started on it, at least get us moving.”
Between the lines
Kanter and his thesis advisor, Kalyan Veeramachaneni, a research scientist at MIT’s Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL), describe the Data Science Machine in a paper that Kanter will present next week at the IEEE International Conference on Data Science and Advanced Analytics.
Veeramachaneni co-leads the Anyscale Learning for All group at CSAIL, which applies machine-learning techniques to practical problems in big-data analysis, such as determining the power-generation capacity of wind-farm sites or predicting which students are at risk for dropping out of online courses.
“What we observed from our experience solving a number of data science problems for industry is that one of the very critical steps is called feature engineering,” Veeramachaneni says. “The first thing you have to do is identify what variables to extract from the database or compose, and for that, you have to come up with a lot of ideas.”
In predicting dropout, for instance, two crucial indicators proved to be how long before a deadline a student begins working on a problem set and how much time the student spends on the course website relative to his or her classmates. MIT’s online-learning platform MITx doesn’t record either of those statistics, but it does collect data from which they can be inferred.
Read more: Automating big-data analysis
The Latest on: Big-data analysis
via Google News
The Latest on: Big-data analysis
- Big Data and Analytics in Telecom Market Next Big Thing : Major Giants Splunk, Couchbase, Teradataon November 27, 2020 at 12:32 pm
This press release was orginally distributed by SBWire Edison, NJ -- ( SBWIRE) -- 11/27/2020 -- A new business intelligence report released by HTF MI with title "Global Big Data And Analytics In ...
- Big Data Powers Design of ‘Smart’ Cell Therapies for Canceron November 26, 2020 at 11:11 am
Finding medicines that can kill cancer cells while leaving normal tissue unscathed is a Holy Grail of oncology research.
- In-depth Analysis of the Data Science Platform Marketon November 26, 2020 at 9:43 am
Get Exclusive Sample Report which provides you the insight information related to various Key Market Projection of Upcoming Years of Data Science Platform Market with its Overview. Click here for the ...
- Hadoop Big Data Analytics Market Segments, Future Demand, Market Growth, Recent Trends, Top Playerson November 26, 2020 at 4:00 am
Global Hadoop Big Data Analytics Market is a trending market expected to witness substantial growth during the forecast period, from 2020 – 2027. The scope of this particular report covers market ...
- Big Data Analytics in Education Market Likely to Boost Future Growth by 2026: KloudData, Gramener, Germin8on November 26, 2020 at 1:20 am
The Global Big Data Analytics in Education Market to witnessed good recovery in growth post first half of 2020 and is projected coverup market sizing during the forecast period 2021 2026 The ...
- $43 Billion SD-WAN Market by Offering, Deployment, Use Case, Industry - Global Analysis and Growth Forecast to 2030on November 25, 2020 at 10:30 am
By Offering, Deployment, Use Case, Industry - Global Industry Analysis and Growth Forecast to 2030" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. Due to the rising adoption of internet ...
- Climate Researchers Enlist Big Cloud Providers for Big Data Challengeson November 25, 2020 at 7:30 am
Amazon, Google and Microsoft increasingly are providing the computing muscle scientists need to glean insights from vast stores of climate data.
- Global Big Data Analytics in Retail Market (2020 to 2027) - by Component, Deployment, Enterprise Size and Applicationon November 25, 2020 at 5:54 am
The "Big Data Analytics in Retail Market by Component, Deployment, Enterprise Size and Application: Global Opportunity Analysis and Industry Forecast, 2020-2027" report has been added to ...
- Maritime Big Data Market Size Rising at magnificent CAGR During 2020-2025 : Analysis of Key Players, Trends, Drivers and Top Countries Dataon November 25, 2020 at 1:43 am
Research Reports provides key analysis on the global market in a Report, titled "COVID-19 Outbreak-Global "Maritime ...
- Big Data Services Market 2020 Industry Analysis, Market Size, Share, Growth, Top Countries Data, Trend and Forecast to 2025on November 23, 2020 at 9:10 pm
Research Reports provides key analysis on the global market in a Report, titled "COVID-19 Outbreak-Global "Big ...
via Bing News