A one-wheeled drone could solve several challenges of traditional and flying drone delivery
Drone delivery has been discussed, promised and tested frequently over the past three years, with most of the focus on quadcopter and similar flying drone methods. Challenges to that model include some dangers of unregulated air traffic and a restrictive weight limit for feasible flying. Transwheel, a design concept by industrial engineer Kobi Shikar, could solve both of those problems with a reconceptualization of the best drone model for the job.
Shikar’s idea replaces the flying drone with a self-stabilizing, self-driving unicycle. The chassis rests below the payload, carrying the package on its head like an old-world porter as it bears the delivery along roads and sidewalks to its destination. Long or heavy packages could be carried by multiple, linked drones operating in concert.
A Transwheel unit would use both GPS navigation and a suite of sensors to safely get a package to its destination. A camera unit would both detect nearby obstacles while in motion and interface with a facial recognition unit to identify the recipient of their delivery. Shikar asserts that the optics are sensitive enough to recognize whether a street light is red or green, though still expresses concerns about dealing with unexpected movements from cars or pedestrians. A related problem stems from Transwheel’s low profile and small size: it would be even more difficult to spot than a bicycle or motorcycle.
The Latest on: Delivery Drone
via Google News
The Latest on: Delivery Drone
- Coronavirus disruptions see drone meal delivery launching in North Carolinaon May 12, 2020 at 3:34 pm
The town of Holly Springs will soon be able to order meals and groceries using drone delivery, helping to maintain social distance with no-contact service.
- Drone delivers 4-year scholarship to recent Boston gradon May 12, 2020 at 3:09 pm
A recent high school graduate in Boston may not have had a traditional ceremony, but got special delivery of her scholarship.
- UK tests use of drone to deliver supplies to hospitalson May 12, 2020 at 11:28 am
Britain is testing the use of a car-sized drone to deliver medical supplies more quickly to hospitals and ease pressure on the country’s health system during the new coronavirus crisis ...
- Delivery Drone Flies Medical Supplies to Britain's Isle of Wighton May 12, 2020 at 10:45 am
The first delivery was a consignment of pathology sample cases flown from Lee-on-Solent airport to Binstead aerodrome on the Isle of Wight at the weekend. The drone is now on standby to fly up to ten ...
- This Singapore Drone Company Wants to Reinvent Ship to Shore Deliveryon May 11, 2020 at 2:26 pm
Ship-to-Shore delivery is a huge business – it’s necessity for shipping logistics. Singapore drone company F-Drone wants to reinvent the process to reduce the time, costs, and carbon emis ...
- Drone Delivery Canada update on DSV projecton May 11, 2020 at 1:29 pm
On October 23 rd, 2019 DDC announced that it had entered into a commercial agreement with DSV (the "Agreement"), through its sales agent Air Canada ( AC.TO ), to provide its drone delivery platform ...
- UPS drones: Delivery's next frontieron May 11, 2020 at 11:46 am
The Advanced Technology Group at UPS decides which tech is worth investing in, and drones are the latest effort paying off for the company.
- Dive Delivery Begins Backyard Drone Deliverieson May 8, 2020 at 9:25 pm
In an effort to get people familiar with the concept of drone-based deliveries, Dive Delivery has secured confirmation of permission from the FAA to perform drone deliveries under existing Part 107 ...
- Drone Home-Delivery Service Trial Planned For San Mateo, Contra Costa Countieson May 7, 2020 at 2:41 pm
Dive Delivery in San Bruno said it plans to launch a trial service for residents in San Mateo and Contra Costa County in which a drone could deliver small packages of essential goods like face masks ...
- Dive Delivery Begins Backyard Drone Deliveries of Essential Goods in San Mateo & Contra Costa Counties (CA)on May 7, 2020 at 7:30 am
Residents of San Mateo and Contra Costa counties in California can now sign up to participate in the trials at ...
via Bing News